Pyga Industries launches the Stage: a new carbon marathon bike with a twist

News bot

Was not refering to the stage maxx BOET! Having another bottle cage within the frame is great for stage racing but congrats on the camelbak. Whether its your style bike or not its still great to support a local brand and local support.

You have not answered my question ,what do you consider to be Stage race geo,because not so long ago 68.5 degrees was considered trail bike geo so I would say that this would classify as a trail come race bike.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nico pfitzenmeyer (sp?) is racing one already.

pricey? yes, but you can still get a road bike that costs more, that still amazes me.

If this is expensive, what does a cheaper top end full carbon bike cost?

Remember these Pygas have carbon wheels, top groupsets, droppers and top end forks. Other carbon XC and Trail bikes in similar spec cost in the same region of R80 to R100k.

If you downspecced the upside down fork for a Revelation or Fox Factory series, the XX1 group down to new GX or XT 11spd group and some decent alu wheels instead of the Pyga carbon you could knock R20k off these prices and still have a premium class bike.....

How many world titles and olympic titles etc etc etc have been won on S works bikes. Been around forever. Like it or not, its a race winning bike. 

And at this stage, spec vs spec, Specialized is a lot cheaper than this.

Just to add on to what Johnny said. When you're spending this kind of money, you don't just buy a bike, you buy into a brand and that brand's heritage. It's the same when you buy a Ferrari, you're not just buying a collection of nuts and bolts, you're buying a machine that is a product of years and years of constant development and that has a rich and vibrant heritage. Thus, the manufacturer can charge that premium, because you're not just buying another car, you're buying a Ferrari.

Same with an S-Works Epic, you're not just buying a bike, you're buying into a brand with a rich history and that has clawed its way to the top of the mountain. For that, I'll pay the premium. 

Pyga just doesn't have that brand cachet and I won't spend that kind of money (not that I even have it to spend) on a Pyga.

Just to maybe expand the brand...

Pat = Morewood bikes

Pat = the PA in Momsen VIPA, he and Mark did the Suspension on that bike and well all know the last 2 years experience, talk around the VIPA.

Then there is the last 4 years of Pyga's out there and their history,

Consider the support the guys on Jhb2C got last year and this year from Pat.

I got my name down for one, ye I'm not a marathon rider, but damm, I got OneTwenty650b #1 and will have one of these beauties, was at the launch in Cpt.

G

Just to add on to what Johnny said. When you're spending this kind of money, you don't just buy a bike, you buy into a brand and that brand's heritage. It's the same when you buy a Ferrari, you're not just buying a collection of nuts and bolts, you're buying a machine that is a product of years and years of constant development and that has a rich and vibrant heritage. Thus, the manufacturer can charge that premium, because you're not just buying another car, you're buying a Ferrari.

Same with an S-Works Epic, you're not just buying a bike, you're buying into a brand with a rich history and that has clawed its way to the top of the mountain. For that, I'll pay the premium. 

Pyga just doesn't have that brand cachet and I won't spend that kind of money (not that I even have it to spend) on a Pyga.

I hope you have your flame suit on. The anti Spaz brigade are going to hang you out to dry.

Pat = Morewood bikes

Pat = the PA in Momsen VIPA, he and Mark did the Suspension on that bike and well all know the last 2 years experience, talk around the VIPA.

I got my name down for one, ye I'm not a marathon rider, but damm, I got OneTwenty650b #1 and will have one of these beauties, was at the launch in Cpt.

G

Right, because Morewood was known for producing marathon/racing 29er's.

Pyga's are great bikes, but the price is crazy. Also, what's up with the generic wheelsets?

Edited by the_odinson

nico pfitzenmeyer (sp?) is racing one already.

pricey? yes, but you can still get a road bike that costs more, that still amazes me.

He does not exactly count as a pro in my books. With all due respect

I judge a company by the people that stand behind it...

Pat has that track record covered, better than anyone can dream of duplicating.

He's (he's from Morewood and now he's and Mark and Cliff's from Pyga) designs are respected world over.

G

Right, because Morewood was known for producing marathon/racing 29er's.

Pyga's are great bikes, but the price is crazy. Also, what's up with the generic wheelsets?

Pat = Morewood bikes

G

Morewood and Momsen not really anywhere on the world stage are they? I had a momsen hardtail the last 2 years. Absolutely loved the bike but it will always be a local bike. There was a lot of hype around the vipa when it came out. I still don't get what is so special about it.

You have not answered my question ,what do you consider to be Stage race geo,because not so long ago 68.5 degrees was considered trail bike geo so I would say that this would classify as a trail come race bike.

You right by placing the pyga towards the trail side of riding but the evils head tube angel is still slacker....i still think the pyga is better suited to the stage sracing than the evil due to its geometry

He's (he's from Morewood and now he's and Mark and Cliff's from Pyga) designs are respected world over.

G

So for what other reputed brands did this Pat guy designed? What makes him so well respected in his industry?

Hells bells they smoking some strong socks to justify those prices they clearly gunning for the big boys, I would rather build a Evil The Following. It would definitely be more unique then the Pyga.

Two very different bikes. You can't recommend your wet dream bike for EVERY application in EVERY thread...

G

Tom Ritchey

Gary Fisher

Chris Sugai

That's track record.

Pat is still in early days with PYGA in the bigger picture. I don't think he can justify pricing on a relatively short track record (especially with 29rs). But his suspension expertise and proven frames that they do have will go a long way to achieving these prices. They'll sell, despite the debate.

Edited by Ryanpmb