Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I don't know if it was previously mentioned but it happened to me twice this very weekend.It seems that some clowns just want to advertise items to test the waters and have no real interest in actually selling them.Once an offer is made for the full selling price and banking details are asked for I feel that the seller should forward such as to give the buyer the opportunity to make payment.I asked for banking details and have still not received them from the seller a day later after it was said that they would do so.Another person does not even bother to respond to any form of communication.This is really sad as it creates a difficult platform to buy and sell on this forum.I am however fortunate that a lbs sold me a brand new item for R250 more than the used items offered.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feeling on buying bargains from hubbers and then reselling at a markup?

Doesn’t feel right, but it’s not wrong.

Sounds like a free market situation to me. How could you lose credibility for willing buyer willing seller transaction.

Actually had to think about it for more than 2 seconds to figure out how I feel about this... :huh:

Nothing wrong with it, it is legal and allot of us are way more unethical with our employers by being paid a salary but then we spend hours per month on Bikehub talking about the most trivial things.

But, I don't feel comfortable doing the markup thing and I would prefer if my 2nd-hand goods aren't lowballed and then sold at a higher price.

• 8 months later...

So a bike shop owner hubber from Grahamstown advertised a set of 650b south industries carbon rims on the hub.

I dibs them on the add. Send him a sms and speak to him on the phone .commit to taking them if they are the 34/28mm and ask for banking details.Today after not hearing from him track him down ... says they are 30/22.5 and some other guy comming to buy them. South dont make 30/22.5 rims so he isn't being honest. Whats worse I know the guy .

So a bike shop owner hubber from Grahamstown advertised a set of 650b south industries carbon rims on the hub.

I dibs them on the add. Send him a sms and speak to him on the phone .commit to taking them if they are the 34/28mm and ask for banking details.Today after not hearing from him track him down ... says they are 30/22.5 and some other guy comming to buy them. South dont make 30/22.5 rims so he isn't being honest. Whats worse I know the guy .

jis, <insert excuse me what the heck meme>

Is this all after you paid? Asking because that only makes what sounds already unethical, awful and dishonest a lot worse.

In my eyes everybody wins. As long as you're not squeezing the selling down to his absolute lowest price, he's getting the price he asked for, win for him. Then you sell it on, win for you. If the seller wants to be butt hurt because he think's he could have made more money then that's their problem. It's a free market after all. They wouldn't have complained if you didn't resell despite them being in exactly the same situation monetarily 

buy and sell on will come with a whole heap of issues

imagine i buy form x and sell to z

then z has an issue with the goods

he wants money back and i want money back from x

gets kinda complicated

too many fingers in this pie

Honestly, I'm not a big fan. But I think it's cleaner if the markup price is still great value. If the re-seller is prepared to go to the trouble of paying and collecting the goods, and then re-advertising them at a good price then they deserve the profit.

Especially if they are flexible in terms of delivery, like offering to meet you somewhere in-between, or a few different locations. That can make the deal more accessible to someone who may not have wanted to risk buying from someone far away.

Also, re sellers that have credibility (because they do this sort of thing a lot) reduce the risk because they've checked the parts and give them their stamp of approval.

I think the spirit of the thing is what counts. You can make a reasonable profit and have integrity and care for others too.

I get a bit annoyed when someone tells me a whole 'I'm strapped for cash but really want it' bla bla story, in good faith you drop the price only to see that item for sale again for more than you sold it.

I often under price things as I want someone else to enjoy it before it gets too old and it is still 'worth' something. Happy for someone to buy it then try and peddle it higher. But not the whole story, price drop, sob story.... that's devious and dishonest.

Edited by Jewbacca

I get a bit annoyed when someone tells me a whole 'I'm strapped for cash but really want it' bla bla story, in good faith you drop the price only to see that item for sale again for more than you sold it.

I often under price things as I want someone else to enjoy it before it gets too old and it is still 'worth' something. Happy for someone to buy it then try and peddle it higher. But not the whole story, price drop, sob story.... that's devious and dishonest.

This ^. I've sold stuff under prices and given stuff to people because I know it's be a good thing and it covers what I need. If you're scally about it then I'm sure that will come back and get you. I've had such good interactions with almost everyone on here and I've been looked after and helped when needed and that is the way I'll carry on. 

I only have an issue with that when the guy tells me a sob story about why he can only afford a lower than my advertised price, but you know it's the bike he has always wanted blah blah blah. And then sometimes I feel for the guy even though I don't really buy the story, and drop my price only to see it for sale a week later at higher than I was originally asking.

But... if I advertise for R100, the guy pays R100, and then sells it a week later for R120 I don't have any issue whatsoever. No credibility loss in that situation.

EDIT: I didn't read the thread all the way to the end. I see I pretty much repeated what Jewbacca said.

Edited by Grease_Monkey