Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

Sorry BigTom, I think I was one of those that unfairly judged you earlier in the thread, my apologies.

No worries.  Apology accepted.  It's all good.  Just to add to the rest of the story, I did post on that thread, and pm'd the guys that made the accusation.  The guys did go back on the post with an additional post to correct the information.

And the information is half right - I do try and grab bargains when available - if it is something I need.  ;) But it is because I use it (that thread explains why so no need to repeat here).  I don't purchase for the purpose of resale.  I do sell stuff from time to time when there are "leftovers" from a build to try and help fund the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are talking about classified etiquette.

What's up with this new trend in the classifieds that every second ad does not have any pictures...whatsapp/SMS me for images seems to be the new standard. If you are to lazy to upload a pic don't advertise!!! I totally understand if you are selling a race entry you don't need pics.

Recon most hubbers don't want to hunt for your contact details and engage via another platform to get the information required to asses if they want to buy your product on offer.

What's up with this new trend in the classifieds that every second ad does not have any pictures...whatsapp/SMS me for images seems to be the new standard. If you are to lazy to upload a pic don't advertise!!! I totally understand if you are selling a race entry you don't need pics.

Recon most hubbers don't want to hunt for your contact details and engage via another platform to get the information required to asses if they want to buy your product on offer.

if there is no pics, I wouldn't even respond to the ad even if it is something I really want. 

Buying and selling is always a challenge when it involves pre-owned goods.

What we see here is buyers being let down.

Sellers have little harps to plat as well.

I the past 8 days I have received, both by PM or direct email correspondence like this:  "Is the xxxxx xxxx still available?"

I respond immediately with a yes and details on how to acquire said xxxx xxxx.

Then nothing.

My question is why go to the trouble of sending a mail asking about the availability if there is no intention of follow through?

It's not an ethics thing but it is just plain silly.

Or listing all the specs on a bike as "standard"  :cursing:

Or listing all the specs on a bike as "standard"  :cursing:

My personal favourite is misspelled words, such as SRAM. Especially when they post pictures of the bike and the SRAM logo on the components is larger than life, but it still gets posted as "SHRAM".

What about the things that matter in the title?

Like frame size?

Like length of crank arm?

Like BCD and BB on crankset?

Like shoe size?

Ok, so I already posted a whole thread on this, but the one that really gets me is advertising used items as "brand new" - as in bike is brand new, used less than 500km. 

I have no problem with a used item being in "as new" condition, but something cannot be brand new and used at the same time.

Buying and selling is always a challenge when it involves pre-owned goods.

What we see here is buyers being let down.

Sellers have little harps to plat as well.

I the past 8 days I have received, both by PM or direct email correspondence like this:  "Is the xxxxx xxxx still available?"

I respond immediately with a yes and details on how to acquire said xxxx xxxx.

Then nothing.

My question is why go to the trouble of sending a mail asking about the availability if there is no intention of follow through?

It's not an ethics thing but it is just plain silly.

This is my biggest peeve on the hub ^^^ I've got countless emails , whatapps and pms to ask if its available and then the person disappears 

Another big thing that pisses me off is year model.

" I bought it in 2016 so it must be the 2016 model " - Poephol

Nee it is left over stock of A 2010 bike !

Edited by BaGearA

Another big thing that pisses me off is year model.

" I bought it in 2016 so it must be the 2016 model " - Poephol

Nee it is left over stock of A 2010 bike !

Me too!

I'm sure that comment is not in reference to any particular advert ;)

This is my biggest peeve on the hub ^^^ I've got countless emails , whatapps and pms to ask if its available and then the person disappears 

.1 The  person wanting it, but cant really afford it 

If he know its been sold, the "desire" will not haunt him anymore... ^_^

What about the things that matter in the title?

Like frame size?

Like length of crank arm?

Like BCD and BB on crankset?

Like shoe size?

Yip. That annoys me. Why repeat yourself in the advertisement body where there is space to mention all the specifics of what you are selling. Putting all that in the heading makes me sommer skip the ad.

Rather spend the time to load up current good pictures (i.e. not a picture taken 1 week after you bought the bike in 2010).