ScottCM

Ever ordered from nike.com? Is the stock dispatched locally?

I have bought lots of shoes from them, normally ships from Amsterdam takes about a week for delivery.

https://www.nike.com/za/help/a/shipping-delivery-gs

FAQs

Is my order dispatched internationally?

Yes, we'll dispatch your order internationally and deliver it right to your door.

Do I have to work with customs to get my order?

Don't worry, we'll take care of all customs clearance documentation.

Edited by _David_

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, let me have a look and get the ball rolling. 

Who knows maybe I will join you guys for the comrades one day! 

Will I benefit from doing park runs?

You'll definitely benefit from doing Parkruns. In SA there is too much focus on running long distances. If one is able to improve on short distances it'll only lead to good things on the longer distances.

This I didn't know. So they will pay the customs duties etc. If so, then I will def order from them.

I have a pretty stingy mate who buys a bit of their sale stuff, and I've never heard him mention being stung twice by cost AND duties - so I assume its all in the site price. 

Its all in the listed price, add R250 for delivery if your order is below 4k

Edited by _David_

Will I benefit from doing park runs?

Yes, Parkruns are fantastic. And our South African parks push them a lot closer to a fun cross country race than a flat 5 kay. You'll build fantastic strength all while being able to measure your progress week by week.

This will also depend on Breezers running history.

As we all know... running is not for sissies (not meant literally) and requires a good bit of running specific fitness and adaption BEFORE you start throwing in speed work or high intensity training.

Otherwise the risk of injury at some stage will be high

Agreed, his strategy is potentially high injury risk.

I'm going with the info he provided. He feels he can do a 18 minute 5k, he is cycling fit and has trained for a half marathon. Assumption: he understands the requirements of running a 18m 5k and risk potential.

Even then, I don't believe HR will be a massive training advantage. His perceived effort on the adaption phase needs to be low and he doesn't need a HR for this.

Thoughts?

Stupid question from a non-Nike runner, who is obviously intrigued by the Vaporfly. Are these the cheaper version thereof basically - and what is compromised? 

And... longevity? I see wildly varying reports. Also, are these meant for heel strikers more than forefoot to midfoot? (Based on biggish drop and the cushioning.)

Yes, I'm very curious... 

If you run you're a runner.

And if you jog you're a jogger? Don't get too hung up on the gatekeeping.

And if you jog you're a jogger? Don't get too hung up on the gatekeeping.

I jog plenty. It's my favorite part of running.

And to clarify, I'm saying that being a runner isn't defined by a specific time or speed or distance. If you run and you feel like a runner then you're a runner.

Edited by Barry Stuart

Where is the Zoom Fly available for 2k? I agree, these shoes are just amazing. I go easily 15 to 20s a km faster at the same perceived effort. And they are way more comfortable than Hoka

You posted a picture last week of nike shoes that you had run a pb in. Are those the Zoom Fly ?

If so I saw them at the Nike factory store in Boksburg for R1399.

Agreed, his strategy is potentially high injury risk.

I'm going with the info he provided. He feels he can do a 18 minute 5k, he is cycling fit and has trained for a half marathon. Assumption: he understands the requirements of running a 18m 5k and risk potential.

Even then, I don't believe HR will be a massive training advantage. His perceived effort on the adaption phase needs to be low and he doesn't need a HR for this.

Thoughts?

Heart rate is not necessary. I only asked about heart rate, because the suunto came with a strap and I wanted to know if it would be compatible with my ant+ bike computer (bryton 530).

I did my first and only safari half marathon in 2016. I trained for it and did a 1h31min. During the event I also did a 19.30 5km.

I currently do the local parkrun constantly around 20 min. My PB is 19.40 for this run. As I said, this is done from my cycling fitness. It is all offroad.

I believe that with some decent training I can do a sub 18min. I have got a program from a friend who is a runner and it involves a lot of interval training. For that I need a watch to show me my pace.

I do not expect to accomplish this in a month or so, but it is a goal for this year.

Stupid question from a non-Nike runner, who is obviously intrigued by the Vaporfly. Are these the cheaper version thereof basically - and what is compromised? 

And... longevity? I see wildly varying reports. Also, are these meant for heel strikers more than forefoot to midfoot? (Based on biggish drop and the cushioning.)

Yes, I'm very curious... 

The new Zoom Fly Fly Knit are a different shoe to the VF's, react foam with the carbon plate. Peg Turbos are ZoomX foam without the carbon plate. React Epic/Odyssey are react foam without the carbon plate. VF's are ZoomX with carbon plate.

I know of people that run 0 drop shoes 90% of the time use the VF's and run without a problem. Kipchoge is a pronator, does effect him. Can't comment of the heel strike, mid foot etc, I'm sure people have their own opinion on heel drop and strike patterns.

Longevity in a shoe is subjective. I don't like running any distance in a pair of shoes after they have done 600km, they are probably still good to go. Other people like to run 1200km in a pair. I don't want to run in a shoe that can do 1200km.

Hope that helps.

Heart rate is not necessary. I only asked about heart rate, because the suunto came with a strap and I wanted to know if it would be compatible with my ant+ bike computer (bryton 530).

I did my first and only safari half marathon in 2016. I trained for it and did a 1h31min. During the event I also did a 19.30 5km.

I currently do the local parkrun constantly around 20 min. My PB is 19.40 for this run. As I said, this is done from my cycling fitness. It is all offroad.

I believe that with some decent training I can do a sub 18min. I have got a program from a friend who is a runner and it involves a lot of interval training. For that I need a watch to show me my pace.

I do not expect to accomplish this in a month or so, but it is a goal for this year.

Good luck, sounds like you have a good chance of doing it in the year You can probably get away with a very basic watch if it is just pace. Runners used a casio for years. Look for a second hand fr20 or similar. For HR that is compatible with ANT+ and blue tooth, look at the scoshe, wahoo or polar arm band version. These are generally around $50.

I am the guy that always said that I only run when something is chasing me, and that I am big enough that nothing chases me....

One of my friends gave up cycling and is only running now. While braaiing he challenged me to do the two oceans 2020. I can not decline a challenge from a friend.

Is it enough time to prepare? I almost died after running 4ks the other day!!

Guess one should start on flats? Easy pace till your legs and joints are stronger?

This is quite doable. I went from zero to Two Oceans in 1 year.

I would suggest you start with a 10km training program. Frosty has a good one to follow.

After 13 months of running, I’m doing my second 21.1Km on Sunday.

The program that Hacc refers to took 14 weeks from 0-10K. The 21.1Km plan (which I didn’t follow was another 6 weeks). As my max limit is 21.1Km, I haven’t looked at any 42.2Km plans. Worst case, I’d imagine that you (Allrounder) have more than enough time.

My advice, from limited experience, is to start slow and build up incrementally. Follow the 8 weeks to get to 5Km, then the rest of the incremental distances should be about 6 weeks.

So:

8 weeks: 0-5Km

6 weeks: 5-10Km

6 weeks: 10-21Km

6 weeks: 21-32Km

6 weeks: 32-42.2Km

That’s 32 weeks, or end of August, if you start now. Less than 10% load per week including recovery time, and it’s doable.

My 2c worth. Good luck, it gets easier the longer you keep at it.