ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Flu is clearly rampant out there at the moment... I've just finished my antibiotics, about 99% healthy from the look of it, resting heart rate is a little high (65), but to be expected. Hoping to do a little trot later, dust out some cobwebs... Same boat as Hacc, peak weaks have just became empty weeks, haven't run since 8 April.

If I can get in some 20's/30's the next few weekends with some solid mid week runs I should be okay though... (well that's what I am telling myself at least  :lol: )

Just hope the kids don't bring home any more treats for me from creche and prep school  :ph34r:

Flu is clearly rampant out there at the moment... I've just finished my antibiotics, about 99% healthy from the look of it, resting heart rate is a little high (65), but to be expected. Hoping to do a little trot later, dust out some cobwebs... Same boat as Hacc, peak weaks have just became empty weeks, haven't run since 8 April.

If I can get in some 20's/30's the next few weekends with some solid mid week runs I should be okay though... (well that's what I am telling myself at least  :lol: )

Just hope the kids don't bring home any more treats for me from creche and prep school  :ph34r:

I think I have mentioned it before, toasted cheese sandwiches with chilli almost daily as a defence mechanism against cold and flu. I haven't had a sniffle since the beginning of last year. I have also not been running since April 8th but that's only because I chose to take a break(nothing to train towards just yet). I was supposed to start again from yesterday but my ankle has a slight niggle so I'm gonna wait a little longer.

I think I have mentioned it before, toasted cheese sandwiches with chilli almost daily as a defence mechanism against cold and flu. I haven't had a sniffle since the beginning of last year. I have also not been running since April 8th but that's only because I chose to take a break(nothing to train towards just yet). I was supposed to start again from yesterday but my ankle has a slight niggle so I'm gonna wait a little longer.

The scientific explanation behind this and link to peer reviewed studies?

The scientific explanation behind this and link to peer reviewed studies?

No 'scientific explanation', just a suggestion that may help others. Chilli contains vitamins C, so that definitely helps. Use it/don't use it but one thing for sure, I am proof that it works.

No 'scientific explanation', just a suggestion that may help others. Chilli contains vitamins C, so that definitely helps. Use it/don't use it but one thing for sure, I am proof that it works.

I eat loads of chilli, loads of cheese... maybe not so many sandwiches though.

Illness, especially with kids in the mix is sometimes just a case of luck. After running Two Oceans and Allan Robb in close succession I was probably a little run down and my little ninjas brought home some special ingredients from creche...

I'm pretty good with my personal hygiene, but a sick little monkey sleeping in your bed next to you, waking up at all hours, wiping snot around like it's confetti - is not your friend and always risky. My wife who is also running Comrades managed to dodge the bullets this year, last year our roles were reversed. 

It is just what it is, people get sick sometimes

So my weekend fell apart like a cheep knock off...

X-berg is a race that I think scares most, the route, the exposure the distance and the lack of babying by the organisers mean it is real and tough...

If you are running first section from oliviershoek to witsies mountain lodge shares a few tracks with Drakensberg Northern trail depending on the route you're taking. I had decided to run from start, to witsies, up to sentinel carpark and through over to Mnweni.

The plan fell apart early on, started at a comfortable pace, nothing too strenuous, similar to the pace for the 60km skyrun for wartrail. I pulled a solid gap on the field, but from early on my heartrate was high and kept spiking. I hit over 200 a few times and was battling to get food in. Heartrate kept getting worse to manage even as I slowed the pace a lot. Coming into Witsies one of the paragliders managed an epic flight and cruised past and kept on going. I reached Witsies having thrown up all food and water, with a heartrate through the roof and battling to get it down and decided to call it a day and not risk the lungs. Of to the doc this week to see what is wrong.

My Suunto tells a very scary story, for wartrail with slightly more climbing, slightly higher elevation and a longer distance I was mainly in Zone 3 and 4 between 131 and 163bmp going at 8:10/km I only went over 163bpm for less than 5%of the time.

For Xberg over 70% of the time I was in Zone 5 going at 8:30/km.

So my weekend fell apart like a cheep knock off...

X-berg is a race that I think scares most, the route, the exposure the distance and the lack of babying by the organisers mean it is real and tough...

If you are running first section from oliviershoek to witsies mountain lodge shares a few tracks with Drakensberg Northern trail depending on the route you're taking. I had decided to run from start, to witsies, up to sentinel carpark and through over to Mnweni.

The plan fell apart early on, started at a comfortable pace, nothing too strenuous, similar to the pace for the 60km skyrun for wartrail. I pulled a solid gap on the field, but from early on my heartrate was high and kept spiking. I hit over 200 a few times and was battling to get food in. Heartrate kept getting worse to manage even as I slowed the pace a lot. Coming into Witsies one of the paragliders managed an epic flight and cruised past and kept on going. I reached Witsies having thrown up all food and water, with a heartrate through the roof and battling to get it down and decided to call it a day and not risk the lungs. Of to the doc this week to see what is wrong.

My Suunto tells a very scary story, for wartrail with slightly more climbing, slightly higher elevation and a longer distance I was mainly in Zone 3 and 4 between 131 and 163bmp going at 8:10/km I only went over 163bpm for less than 5%of the time.

For Xberg over 70% of the time I was in Zone 5 going at 8:30/km.

Eish man, not good

Hi All,

Quick question - with doing lots of Km's over the last month, my knees are hurting below - especially with downhill running (Assume it is runners knee). I am running with the correct shoes and stretch as best when I can.

Any suggestions on recovery, stretches, strapping etc that could help?

SNIPPED

The plan fell apart early on, started at a comfortable pace, nothing too strenuous, similar to the pace for the 60km skyrun for wartrail.

I pulled a solid gap on the field

but from early on my heartrate was high and kept spiking. I hit over 200 a few times and was battling to get food in.

JOH! Sounds like hell, hope you are ok!

Pardon for chopping your quoted message and being a bit pointy about it

BUT

How do you say “nothing to strenuous” and “pull a solid gap on the field” in the same breath?

JOH! Sounds like hell, hope you are ok!

Pardon for chopping your quoted message and being a bit pointy about it

BUT

How do you say “nothing to strenuous” and “pull a solid gap on the field” in the same breath?

Paragliders have over 17kg of glider on their back and have to hike to the highest point they can before they can fly, if the conditions are ok.

The cyclists k@k off for the first section because there are no rideable paths there until they near witsies. 

The other trail runners were not running hard and had set shorter goals for the day than I had so they were conserving energy.

First 15km race for me on Sunday. Decided against supporting CSA this weekend (100CycleChallenge) and opted to support ASA/Boksburg Athletics Club (Colgate 15km) instead.

Besides ScottC-M, anyone else taking part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First 15km race for me on Sunday. Decided against supporting CSA this weekend (100CycleChallenge) and opted to support ASA/Boksburg Athletics Club (Colgate 15km) instead.

Besides ScottC-M, anyone else taking part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am doing the 32km :)