ScottCM

I’m officially confused, not that it takes much to confuse me. Since starting my rehabilitation beginning of the year I’ve been doing my runs at a very relaxed pace. Normally just below the level that brings on pain. As I progressed in terms of my rehab and slowly picked up some fitness again I managed to bring my VO2 max up to about 52 for a long while and then up to 53 last week Thursday.

This is according to my Garmin Forerunner 935. Now I know it’s not accurate and just an indication but it does help somewhat. Saturday morning I set off for a very relaxed long(ish) run of 23km’s at 5.35mins/km. Get back home and noticed my VO2 max had dropped back down to 52. No biggie. Sunday done a 10km run and gained two performance condition points. Still stuck on 52.

Now this is where the confusion starts. Set off for a quick 5km today on heavy legs not really feeling lus for this story. Surprisingly I manage to settle into a sort of ok pace and thought fug it let’s see how this goes. Pin my ears back and start pushing as much as what this out of shape body can go. End up at 4:33/km and 22:45 which considering I hadn’t done any speed training is ok. But my Garmin had decided a few minutes into the run to award me 10 performance condition points which I had never before seen pushing me into a VO2max of 54? Also my heart rate averaged out at 143bpm which is lower than normal but not abnormally so.

Is my Garmin on the blink or have I been training at a sub par level for too long? Has this happened to anyone else?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better late than never... but here's my Oceans report, sports fans.

To start off with, after number collection my wife's comment of "You didn't reeeeally train for this..." and she had a point. Last marathon in Sept (CT) and mostly just spent my time in the mountain. Zero long road runs. But time on the legs and did a two-day trail run Feb, which I saw as my Oceans training weekend...  :whistling: 

Then the route change - I just thought I'll take it as it comes, not having done that route at all yet. Heard the rumours, saw the profile, shrugged. And then the rain came... it was pouring in Paarl Friday evening and that obviously got the mind wandering (wondering!!) a bit. 

The day came and... lekker cloudy, left black bag in the car - and of course it started drizzling while we were in the chutes. At least there were one or two people around me in the same boat. And tbh, but for one shower we got along the way, the bits of rain we did get was just nice actually. 

I learnt from last year and started more conservatively. Ou Kaapse weg was nice for me, just a steady drag. Maybe all the time in the mountain helped there! Not that I was sprinting... Despite me liking downhills as a rule, the OKW descend was taken very easily. 

And I enjoyed the rest of the run... and then they decided to sneak Southern Cross drive in there. Holy cow, that was a killer. I joined the walking gang there at stages. After Southern Cross, just fun - and I think this was mostly due to starting easier.  

Was bang on my target time, despite the route change, so very happy. After having given up the idea of my target time up Southern Cross, so it felt really sweet to have dragged it back.

The only logistical thing that really played with my mind was this - only complaint of the run. I don't really like Coke during an event, so I love the Powerade sachets. From 21k mark (I think) till... heck, it was late on, no powerade! Even more confusing, also no water sachets. You literally had to stop and drink water from cups. 

But, all in all awesome day out, felt really good afterwards. Only side issue is an infection behind and seeming to go under my one toe nail that is going to become interesting...that's a new one for me.

And I enjoyed the rest of the run... and then they decided to sneak Southern Cross drive in there. Holy cow, that was a killer. I joined the walking gang there at stages.

I never looked at the revised route, so Southern Cross was a nasty surprise. But the crowds up there was incredible, it felt like going up Alpe d'huez. Just much slower. Like Robbie McEwan going up Alpe d'huez.

The half runners must be wondering what we're on - it's just a bit of a hill. But catching that past the marathon mark bit me. Just thought stuff the rest, don't get yourself broken here. Did not want to aggravate something or get cramping, since the last couple of k's would then have been... real interesting.

I also think those Garmin girls had to get earplugs because I used a couple of strong terms when I realized we had to turn left at the top there, doing more uphill before coming back down. I do not know whether I said what I thought out loud. But I'm pretty sure somebody would have uttered the same - or worse! - during the rest of the day!  

Edited by SeaBee

Do they?

For me, running on tar causes niggles and pains from the repetition I just don't get out on the trails. I suppose I have chosen to live in a place where the trails are less than 1km from my back door which makes it easier

Catching up here, but you've hit an interesting point. Never get knee pain when running (yes, running) down Cecilia / Newlands forest. But flat terrain? Within 10 min my meniscus and ligaments are pleading with me. 

Maybe I should just give up the green belt as my "training" field (when I start again) and try the hills up above. 

Hi guys,

I'm not a runner but I want to get moving a bit. 30 year old out of shape male with a stationary job.

Would you say that following a Couch-to-5k plan (via an app) is a good idea?

Hi guys,

I'm not a runner but I want to get moving a bit. 30 year old out of shape male with a stationary job.

Would you say that following a Couch-to-5k plan (via an app) is a good idea?

I started with the couch to 10k app yesterday, to gradually get myself back into running, hopefully without picking up an injury. I'll keep this thread updated about how it goes. Edited by WeekendWarrior80

Catching up here, but you've hit an interesting point. Never get knee pain when running (yes, running) down Cecilia / Newlands forest. But flat terrain? Within 10 min my meniscus and ligaments are pleading with me. 

Maybe I should just give up the green belt as my "training" field (when I start again) and try the hills up above. 

I suppose the issue is, if you cycle, you have a heart and lungs that can 'go' but in reality you have useless joints, which generally take a beating when you run. So you start 'short and easy' which registers on the HR and the lungs etc but your muscle density and joint strength is rubbish, so you get niggles and injuries.

Start walking with short jogs thrown in for a few weeks and progress from there.

Mountain goating seams way less strenuous on my knees/hips, but requires a better core and ankle stability. The hills are straight up and straight down, but due to foot placement and the terrain, you don't have the chronic repetition one gets on the road.

For us in the Cape, my advice is to hit the trails and do some flat stuff on the beach. But don't do too much too soon. That is just a recipe for disaster

Never followed a plan. Just went with running one lamp post, walking one for about a 2k loop. Increased to running two posts next week, etc till I could (barely!) run the loop. Then increased distance bit by bit - laughable distances at a time.

Felt like an absolute champ the first time I ran 5k continuously! From there, increased by little bits until I reached 10k, another worthy-of-celebration milestone. 

Bottom line(s) - don't think cycling fitness counts for anything. Don't take it too fast. Don't ramp up too fast. It takes time. When in doubt, take the shorter option.

The real bottom line: Staying healthy is much more fun than recovering.

Never followed a plan. Just went with running one lamp post, walking one for about a 2k loop. Increased to running two posts next week, etc till I could (barely!) run the loop. Then increased distance bit by bit - laughable distances at a time.

Felt like an absolute champ the first time I ran 5k continuously! From there, increased by little bits until I reached 10k, another worthy-of-celebration milestone. 

Bottom line(s) - don't think cycling fitness counts for anything. Don't take it too fast. Don't ramp up too fast. It takes time. When in doubt, take the shorter option.

The real bottom line: Staying healthy is much more fun than recovering.

I remember when I popped my 10k cherry. Felt like a goddam champ. 

giphy.gif

The real bottom line:

Staying healthy is much more fun than recovering.

10km is doable for me, I've run a few 12 or 13km trail runs in the past. For me it's to gradually get back into running by avoiding another injury - shin splints to be exact. Maybe I'm better suited for trail running.

I remember when I popped my 10k cherry. Felt like a goddam champ.

giphy.gif

I still remember training for my first 21 and thinking... After a 15km training run... How the hell am I going to run another 6km.... Now I run 21+ every weekend.. And sometimes during the week too.... Funny hobby running

10km is doable for me, I've run a few 12 or 13km trail runs in the past. For me it's to gradually get back into running by avoiding another injury - shin splints to be exact. Maybe I'm better suited for trail running.

It's much more fun anyway - trail running.

Sub4 Silver is definitely the Primary Goal, pace plan is built on a 2h52 at the Marathon mark and see how we go from there.. Good day as close to 3h50 as possible.

We shall see. Last year I went 2h58 marathon then exploded on Constantia and Ran 4h05 but am definitely in much better shape now.

Congrats on smashing your sub 4 Silver goal  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Foot is extremely sore post marathon.

Going to ice it often. Went for a 5km run yesterday and it was sore. Peroneal bevis and longus tendons. Hope it's not major... I know the camber on the road was really hectic.

"Pain on the side of the foot, whether on the inside or outside, is often due to tendinitis, or inflammation of a tendon. It's usually a result of overuse, such as increasing your mileage too quickly, or improper running shoes. ... Another possible cause of pain on the side of your foot is a stress fracture."

post-24600-0-00956200-1556086401_thumb.jpg

Edited by Let's Ride