ScottCM

Currently sitting with Sciatic nerve issue. Seems to have caught it early.

Mainly due to lockdown six months not stretching properly, did not do any gymwork, long hours in front of the laptop, nou is ek gef**.

Left leg is sort of "dumb" when I run. Having to do physio and a lot of pilates type exercises. Luckily no issue on the bike

Anyone had experience with this?

Not exactly this, I don't think, but... hockey ball/slaz ball to the butt. Sit on it and roll around your glute. It just loosens everything in there and everything attached. Its solved many of my aches and pains, whether they feel like a kind of shooting pain, ITB or lower back.

This is obviously just a maintenance move, so maybe get it checked out properly too. You don't want to aggravate something more sinister.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well knee hasn’t gotten any better, and have been restricted to swimming only for a number of weeks, while i waited to see a highly recommended doctor. 

After MRIs, follow ups etc. tomorrow is D day for surgery. 

replace broken patella 

repair medial meniscus (stitches etc)

investigate and compress cyst on ACL. 

Pre admission COVID test yesterday and blood work. 

From what i understand 6-8 weeks crutches and rehab.....seriously hoping after all this, i can run again and resume my goal of one day finishing a triathlon. :( 

Well knee hasn’t gotten any better, and have been restricted to swimming only for a number of weeks, while i waited to see a highly recommended doctor. 

replace broken patella 

From what i understand 6-8 weeks crutches and rehab.....seriously hoping after all this, i can run again and resume my goal of one day finishing a triathlon. :(

All the best!

1 thing to remember is time. If you rush back you will be in the same place sooner than later.

Take time to repair, time to build a base slowly, time to let the body get strong and then, when you think you are ready, take some more time. Work on your base. 

Slowly slowly catch a monkey....

THEN start training towards a goal.

It might be frustrating, but it will be far more frustrating having to go under the knife again and then realising you went out too hard too early.... 

replace broken patella 

Damn, sorry

There will always be races around (well.... after covid, but you know what I mean), but theres only one of you, take it easy and look after yourself

ya take it easy, take it slow.

Good opportunity to start paddling for fitness...

If I may wade into the conversation...

Paddling is a bit of a challenge to move to as I sit with tight hamstrings and skinny upper body after many decades of running and cycling. It is a lovely low-impact way of seeing the world at a slower pace (white water is a different kettle of fish).

One of the benefits of having done leg based sport for 5+ decades is that my centre of gravity is quite a bit lower than the average male paddler, which helps to prevent unscheduled swims

All the best!

1 thing to remember is time. If you rush back you will be in the same place sooner than later.

Take time to repair, time to build a base slowly, time to let the body get strong and then, when you think you are ready, take some more time. Work on your base. 

Slowly slowly catch a monkey....

THEN start training towards a goal.

It might be frustrating, but it will be far more frustrating having to go under the knife again and then realising you went out too hard too early.... 

much appreciated and will take your advice to heart :) 

I can't wait to get back, and I can't wait to join you fine people on at a comp. 

I will just practice patience and remind myself I ain't no young pup anymore lol 

ya take it easy, take it slow.

Good opportunity to start paddling for fitness...

If I may wade into the conversation...

Paddling is a bit of a challenge to move to as I sit with tight hamstrings and skinny upper body after many decades of running and cycling. It is a lovely low-impact way of seeing the world at a slower pace (white water is a different kettle of fish).

One of the benefits of having done leg based sport for 5+ decades is that my centre of gravity is quite a bit lower than the average male paddler, which helps to prevent unscheduled swims

ahhh maaannn 

shew this brings back great memories, I was a sponsored whitewater paddler for a few years, paddling for wave sport kayaks all over USA, Canada and South America (Futaleufu river Chile) , got into swift water rescue, and I am a grade 5 instructor with ACA well I was 25 years ago haha 

I started with fibreglass and the Duzi, ended up working and making a few kayaks, ran a kayak school, before discovering whitewater. 

man oh man those were good old days, just in JHB after a certain skill level, you need a lot of travelling to find decent water, upper Sabie being the closest for technical creaking, or Lesotho and surrounds. 

the 2000 floods with the Vaal running over 2000 cubics doing recovery work, was the highlight for the Vaal river near Parys. 

Anyone have a 1 mile Pb training program they can recommend ?

Yes... Run a mile... As hard as you can

But seriously.. I would be doing something like

Mon easy run

Tues speed work

Wed increasing distance week on week to 10mi at tempo

Thursday high tempo 8 to 10k

Fri rest

Sat easy

Sun long slow increasing to about 25km

Do that for 4 to 5 weeks

Speed do

200m intervals

400m intervals

Then 800m internals

Then 2 mi intervals

Then 1 mi intervals

My daughter asked if she could come with me this morning. Extremely over-enthusiastic but totally under-estimated how hard it would be. We did 3.8Km, of which 3Km was probably at walking pace.

I can see myself going back to my “couch to 5Km” plan I did in 2018 to get her used to running for 30 mins. Being a 10 year old, I don’t want her running too fast at such a young age. It will then force me to run at zone 1/2 more often.

Frosty, which couch to 5k plan is this? the mrs is trying to get going and I'd like to have some more structured backing to my "tekkies, run, collapse, run same, collapse less, run further, collapse..." process. She's just there to get going - and not overdo it.

Yes... Run a mile... As hard as you can

But seriously.. I would be doing something like

Mon easy run

Tues speed work

Wed increasing distance week on week to 10mi at tempo

Thursday high tempo 8 to 10k

Fri rest

Sat easy

Sun long slow increasing to about 25km

Do that for 4 to 5 weeks

Speed do

200m intervals

400m intervals

Then 800m internals

Then 2 mi intervals

Then 1 mi intervals

If you aren't used to speed-work, take care in the beginning ..

I had a training program last year which included speed-work, and was mostly injury free up to then. Ran a marathon 2 weeks prior, thus could have been fatigue too, but the speed-work resulted in a injury.

Need to say that I'm other side of 50, thus my body doesn't like rapid change either .... :D 

It was a posterior tibial tendon injury after my first speed-work session.

Needed physio and rest for a few weeks to heal..... 

If you aren't used to speed-work, take care in the beginning ..

I had a training program last year which included speed-work, and was mostly injury free up to then. Ran a marathon 2 weeks prior, thus could have been fatigue too, but the speed-work resulted in a injury.

Need to say that I'm other side of 50, thus my body doesn't like rapid change either .... :D

It was a posterior tibial tendon injury after my first speed-work session.

Needed physio and rest for a few weeks to heal.....

Indeed... I'm fact.. If you're not used to speed work then it's better to do them the other way around

2mi intervals

1mi intervals

800m

400m

200m

The shorter distances tend to cause injuries easier

I feel like this is a silly question, but...

Has anyone else noticed or heard of heart rate being different between wrist measured, and chest strap? 

I used my chest strap today and was pretty sure my rate was 7 or 8 bpm less for the speed and perceived effort compared to previous runs.

I feel like this is a silly question, but...

Has anyone else noticed or heard of heart rate being different between wrist measured, and chest strap? 

I used my chest strap today and was pretty sure my rate was 7 or 8 bpm less for the speed and perceived effort compared to previous runs.

Think the chest strap is generally more accurate, particularly with less lag (intervals etc) compared to wrist. Think I recall D.C. rainmaker dojg some in depth comparisons.

I've been getting very erratic HR readings lately (Garmin Forerunner 235 wrist HR). Quite irritating.

It'll show I'm running in the easy or low aerobic zones which is normal on the easy runs and then all of a sardine it'll change to high threshold and more often to maximum. Has massive jumps too during tempo or intervals.

I'm wondering if it might be interference from the gloves or sleeve of arm warmers or jacket if it's raining but I do try keep them out the way as much as possible? The massive jump also seems to happen on runs in the rain. Anyone else experienced similar?

Indeed... I'm fact.. If you're not used to speed work then it's better to do them the other way around

2mi intervals

1mi intervals

800m

400m

200m

The shorter distances tend to cause injuries easier

Stretch have you joined your local club on interval training sessions at all? Maybe you experienced similar to me if you have?

I went to a few sessions last year in the Netherlands and found them rather focussed particularly with focus on warming up, stretching, and drills, pre the track session. All of this with a designated trainer as it's requirement for track sessions. These sessions are by no means for top athletes only as all abilities take part.

From the little bit I've seen at various events in Europe, running groups place a lot of emphasis on the warm up pre the event. Very interesting to see how focussed some of the groups are. Massive contrast to some events I've done in SA where the regular runners literally arrive at the start as the race is already starting.

Of course some running clubs in SA might be similar in terms of track sessions and proper warming up etc but probably not really focussed on the amateur runner?

I'm all for the social aspect of running sessions for all abilities, but at the same time the warm up and drills etc are super important for injury prevention. Going from regular session after session of regular single paced running to smashing out intervals is a recipe for disaster. It takes a very different focus and preparation.