ScottCM

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair our mates Tusker is also 25 sticks, a mere single stage event too.  :devil:

Obviously the charity element changes it.

Ja.... I signed up for the charity element and the fact that it's not an out and back/2 loop race. 

Progress.... How fast would people have been if they didn't have to work? Or had the same access to scientific data, or or or....

We must remember that sport is entertainment, so adding to the entertainment factor is key.

Another world record! Ladies 21km, 1:05:16 from Jepchirchir. a good run from Xaba too - another 1:09 from her.

Guys about to start

The number of ladies with PBs. Wow.

Great running by the SA men - 5th place in the team classification.

Top class 7th place and New SA record for Stephen Mokoka in 59:36.

PB and 14th for Lesiba Mashele 60min24s

PB and 23rd for Collen Mulaudzi 60min51s

GB runner Tom Evans ran a PB of 63min14s - Tom was third at Western States in 2019 breaking the record for the quickest time for an overseas runner in 14h59. Interesting to see his transition to road.

Am I the only one questioning a 6 month gap in biological passports followed by a string of world records?

Or did they all go into lock down and have perfect training blocks...

Last paragraph WADA literally state:

"Placing public health above the needs of the anti-doping system means that there may be impacts on the fight against doping in sport. However, there is significantly less training being carried out and significantly fewer competitions taking place"

https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/20200525_covid-19_qa_for_athletes_updated_en_1.pdf 

Am I the only one questioning a 6 month gap in biological passports followed by a string of world records?

"Placing public health above the needs of the anti-doping system means that there may be impacts on the fight against doping in sport. However, there is significantly less training being carried out and significantly fewer competitions taking place"

https://www.wada-ama.org/sites/default/files/resources/files/20200525_covid-19_qa_for_athletes_updated_en_1.pdf 

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

It is alleged that Chinese weightlifters leave the sport "officially" for a couple of years between Olympics, only to return in time to be able to qualify, obviously clean when they return. They are then top of their various classes. What happens during those hiatus years, nobody knows...

If you don't/can't test, some people will dope to reach the top.

Seeing as there are a few ultra athletes on here.  I'd like to get some thoughts and tricks on what you guys use for nutrition on the trails, specifically with reuse in mind, i.e. no plastic wrappers and such.

I've experimented with some rice cakes before, and that will continue to be my go to for longer runs.  I am keen to try some mash potato recipes, but the challenge with this is that it may not pack too easily into a foil wrap.  I see lots of peeps use ziplocks and just bite off a corner and off they go, but that doesn't fit with the reuse plan.

I have seen some reusable food pouches for baby food, which seem to be what I'm looking for, but they are all a bit too small (intended for baby's of course), but can't seem to find any of these which would carry enough.  My next thought is perhaps buying another soft flask (the salomon one with bigger opening), and using that (exclusively for food), but that would come with some admin to fill as well as clean.

Any thoughts or ideas? 

Bananas(already wrapped)
Banana bread

boiled mini potatoes(already wrapped but still easily squishable)

Carrots, dry wors or Nuts can be poured straight into pockets

You can use ziplocks for stuff and then just eat/drink out the top instead of biting a corner off, then you can get 2-3 uses out of them.

cheese sandwiches or home made date balls- can easily just wrap in brown paper or a handkerchief  

I would hope the quick times are due to the athletes being much fresher with far less racing in their legs...but realistically I think this is a bit of wishful thinking.

Seeing as there are a few ultra athletes on here.  I'd like to get some thoughts and tricks on what you guys use for nutrition on the trails, specifically with reuse in mind, i.e. no plastic wrappers and such.

I've experimented with some rice cakes before, and that will continue to be my go to for longer runs.  I am keen to try some mash potato recipes, but the challenge with this is that it may not pack too easily into a foil wrap.  I see lots of peeps use ziplocks and just bite off a corner and off they go, but that doesn't fit with the reuse plan.

I have seen some reusable food pouches for baby food, which seem to be what I'm looking for, but they are all a bit too small (intended for baby's of course), but can't seem to find any of these which would carry enough.  My next thought is perhaps buying another soft flask (the salomon one with bigger opening), and using that (exclusively for food), but that would come with some admin to fill as well as clean.

Any thoughts or ideas? 

Can you not sew some pencil cases up?

I use ziploc bags. I still have some that have seen 2 years of racing. Easy to clean and reusable if you buy the good ones.

Also mildly water resistant for river crossings etc.

I also use small tuppaware containers for Game juice powder and old 'fizzy' tab cylinders for nuts and powders etc as they also seal up nicely against the elements.

I would hope the quick times are due to the athletes being much fresher with far less racing in their legs...but realistically I think this is a bit of wishful thinking.

Maybe the break from racing gave them some time to improve technique too. With constant racing it’s difficult to spend time to hone a new skill, if you need to maintain fitness?

When I transitioned to zero drop it took quite a while before I could up my km’s again …. In the world of marginal gains, and top athletes changing techniques, the break from racing could possibly have given them this rare opportunity?

Edited by EddieV