ScottCM

On 5/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, IceCreamMan said:

And there’s the famous ScottCM starting a 100 miler. Daft lad. 

IMG_7936.jpeg

Ha ha, thanks for coming to the start and supporting bud. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ScottCM said:

Now for the important part. How was the 100 Miler? 

3 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Well now. You see I am now thinking of doing it next year. But first s 50 miler 

did the Lindani lodge trailrun the past weekend (40km past Vaalwater). Can recommend. 

really a proper trailrun experience in the waterberg if you are looking for a new event. make a weekend of it

they also have MTB race in July and Gravel race in October. 

www.RORevents.co.za

On 5/31/2023 at 7:38 AM, dave303e said:

Now for the important part. How was the 100 Miler? 

Missed the cut at the 100Km mark so can't speak about 100miles. Up until then it was very educational and I learned quite a few lessons for next time. Having done a few night time training sessions doesn't adequately prepare you for the mental challenge that is 1-4am when you have been going for 13+hours already and its cold and you are all isolated. I absolutely loved it though. Had a crazy barefoot guy run with me up until CP3 at which point he bailed due to his feet being torn to shreds. Under foot was nice and dry most of the way. The heat was something else for the local runners and I'm pretty sure my Durban upbringing added me in dealing with it. At some point in the evening i started to battle getting enough fluids down which was a concern as i had stopped eating by that time and i was fully reliant on my tailwind bottles. when the morning sun started to warm the body, the sprit and appetite was lifted which are good lessons for the future. All in all definitely an experience worth repeating. my highlight of the event was seeing my wife at almost every CP except from 11pm-6am. She did more work than I did (Attending to my blisters and sprained ankle) and was my inspiration. I also loved seeing the deer and other wildlife but as I'm spoilt in the sense that i get to see them weekly on my runs in the woods I took their beauty for granted. 

Side note : Gatwick is a terrible airport to depart from. 

On 5/31/2023 at 10:50 AM, IceCreamMan said:

Well now. You see I am now thinking of doing it next year. But first s 50 miler 

Glasgow2Edinburgh 56miles is on 7th October ..... just saying

2 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Missed the cut at the 100Km mark so can't speak about 100miles. Up until then it was very educational and I learned quite a few lessons for next time. Having done a few night time training sessions doesn't adequately prepare you for the mental challenge that is 1-4am when you have been going for 13+hours already and its cold and you are all isolated. I absolutely loved it though. Had a crazy barefoot guy run with me up until CP3 at which point he bailed due to his feet being torn to shreds. Under foot was nice and dry most of the way. The heat was something else for the local runners and I'm pretty sure my Durban upbringing added me in dealing with it. At some point in the evening i started to battle getting enough fluids down which was a concern as i had stopped eating by that time and i was fully reliant on my tailwind bottles. when the morning sun started to warm the body, the sprit and appetite was lifted which are good lessons for the future. All in all definitely an experience worth repeating. my highlight of the event was seeing my wife at almost every CP except from 11pm-6am. She did more work than I did (Attending to my blisters and sprained ankle) and was my inspiration. I also loved seeing the deer and other wildlife but as I'm spoilt in the sense that i get to see them weekly on my runs in the woods I took their beauty for granted. 

Side note : Gatwick is a terrible airport to depart from. 

Ah Man, hard luck on the cutoff, but sounds like you enjoyed at least and that you learned enough.

100milers are unfortunately eating competitions where running breaks out.

That night time solitude is something special though, but it is tough. I enjoy it but even compared to an adventure race where 1am-4am you are with a team it is tough...

3 hours ago, ScottCM said:

Glasgow2Edinburgh 56miles is on 7th October ..... just saying

I could get into shape for this,

Ran the Cork marathon yesterday with my wife and a friend of ours who lives in cork. She wanted to run a marathon before her 50th and I had never been to Ireland so combined a week in Ireland with the Cork marathon. Great event, well planned, well supported and it was damn hot in Cork. To put that in perspective it was 20 degrees but we ain’t used to such temps these days. Run went well although I thought the ladies went out too quick. But I just went with the flow. The camaraderie amongst the tail end was superb. Everyone encouraging. Local folks came out to support and had water sprays ,fruit, jelly beans etc in addition to the water stations. Beautiful to run around Cork. Excellent event. 

spent the first 3 days in Dublin, great city but damn expensive. More expensive than London I reckon in many respects. I was gobsmacked at the cost of things. 

but Ireland, is beautiful and contrary to popular belief, it never rains here. Just beautiful and sunshine. 

On 6/5/2023 at 10:26 AM, Edgar said:

I could get into shape for this,

With less than 300m (Website says 99m but GPX file says 290m) of vert you could set a new course record. Current record is 07:06

Some question on shoes. 

I seem to be getting less and less mileage from my shoes. I run with New balance 880. 

As I have heelspurs, my heels are very sensitive to when shoes get softer on the heel. Now that new balance is freshfoaming all the shoes, I get maybe 400-500KM from a pair, vs. previously I could get about 30% more from them. at R3000 per pair, it is getting ridiculous.

I am thinking to try the Decathlon house brand shoes at more than half the price.

any experience on these shoes?

1 hour ago, RABUBI said:

Some question on shoes. 

I seem to be getting less and less mileage from my shoes. I run with New balance 880. 

As I have heelspurs, my heels are very sensitive to when shoes get softer on the heel. Now that new balance is freshfoaming all the shoes, I get maybe 400-500KM from a pair, vs. previously I could get about 30% more from them. at R3000 per pair, it is getting ridiculous.

I am thinking to try the Decathlon house brand shoes at more than half the price.

Can't comment on Decathlon shoes, but have seen these have just been released at a decent price point https://pivotandrun.co.za/products/quphoria-mens.  I think there were a few reviews on the previous V1's

1 hour ago, RABUBI said:

Some question on shoes. 

It is always tough with shoes.

I know 2 people who went top 10 at Skyrun in decathlon shoes. But really they would do it barefoot anyway. I have no personal testing with them though.

My 2c- look for previous models and clearance sales. I am running in last year's adidas and nike trail shoes because I can get 3 pairs for the price of 2 current models.

Don't the club captains have to verify the QF times and races submitted?

Phuma as a club should be looked at, as well as investigations into 2 Oceans etc...

It's not difficult to qualify for Oceans/Comrades. If you can't qualify legally you likely won't finish either.

Humans..... The LCD in all things rubbish