ScottCM

In total CGA/ASA is making (a very very rough estimate)  R 8.5 million a year for doing absolutely nothing. Please explain to me what they do with all this money? What are they doing for the upliftment of our sport?

I love my running club and my running friends I made at the club. I am still in two minds if I will join again this year.

In 2019 ASA revenue from membership was R6.6mil.

Would be very interesting to see their financials for 2020.

As far as what they do with the money. A big spend is on salaries, travel, and food. And highly doubt much of this is on athletes. Not surprising really.

Upliftment of the sport is something I am yet to see in any form.

Please support your running club and join them. It's a separate membership to ASA and the provincial bodies as has been pointed out. It's very very important that clubs are kept strong and supported. Clubs are the backbone of running in SA and pull a lot of the weight of the various bodies.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you don't attend your running club and prefer running alone that's perfectly fine. But please join and support your running clubs. Without the running clubs we'd be in a far far worse position in regards to the running environment in SA.

To me a running club is far more than the running. Even though I prefer running alone and generally always do so, that weekly meetup (maybe more at other clubs) at the clubhouse is so important. It's about the social side and getting to know people who have a common interest regardless of abilities. It's about learning from the seniors and encouraging beginners. It's about community (something seriously lacking in society).

Getting involved with the club race is something everyone should do too. Maybe then some might realise what goes into a race rather than complain about everything on social media.

For a nominal fee I have gained so much from the club environment and I'm sure for many it's the same. Get involved and you might find it's quite fun. If your club does a monthly or weekly time trial go participate. You can run alone if that's what you prefer. But please try stay for a cooldrink/water/beer etc afterwards.

Edited by b-rad

Running clubs

I have been involved in Running clubs in SA and here in Ireland, and they are a critical aspect in running in both countries. I wont focus on what our club does here, but needless to say we run 2 events that generate approximately 10000 euro to our preferred charity each year.

My old club in SA organises the Capital Climb in Pietermaritzburg. This event has been going on my entire life basically, with the first one starting in the early 80s. Each year we spent an inordinate amount of time organising sponsors, marshalls, drinks and snacks and prizes. With all this we were able to keep the entry fee at a point where every south african can partake in the event. Without the effort of the club the majority of the entrants would not be able to enter and the evnent would die.

Sure, Trail running does not need club entry, and is organised by private organisers, but have a good look at the demographics of those participants. The price point of entry is just too high for a large percentage of the population. Clubs are crucial

Second point  - Clubs also offer annual couch to 5km and 5km to 10km etc programs that get hundreds of runners into the sport of running. One might argue that the park run has taken a lot of this responsibility, but you will be amazed at how many people make use of the club programs.

Third point  - the inter club social interaction. (In KZN at least), clubs host social events after their time trial events and each clubs has a turn doing this

ASA

I hate ASA - it is a corrupt organisation, but, we still need to support it because if we dont then our poor athletes will have even less opportunity

Tips for easing muscle stiffness?

Did a massive (in my world) hike on the weekend and the legs still feel really sore.

Any old school tips to make it go away so I can run normally again?

Did a massive (in my world) hike on the weekend and the legs still feel really sore.

Enjoy it. Sit back and be happy you've earned a good rest day.

Otherwise maybe some type of cross training? A swim is as good as anything to flush out the body with zero impact. Gym or something for your upper body?

Running clubs

I have been involved in Running clubs in SA and here in Ireland, and they are a critical aspect in running in both countries. I wont focus on what our club does here, but needless to say we run 2 events that generate approximately 10000 euro to our preferred charity each year.

My old club in SA organises the Capital Climb in Pietermaritzburg. This event has been going on my entire life basically, with the first one starting in the early 80s. Each year we spent an inordinate amount of time organising sponsors, marshalls, drinks and snacks and prizes. With all this we were able to keep the entry fee at a point where every south african can partake in the event. Without the effort of the club the majority of the entrants would not be able to enter and the evnent would die.

Sure, Trail running does not need club entry, and is organised by private organisers, but have a good look at the demographics of those participants. The price point of entry is just too high for a large percentage of the population. Clubs are crucial

Second point  - Clubs also offer annual couch to 5km and 5km to 10km etc programs that get hundreds of runners into the sport of running. One might argue that the park run has taken a lot of this responsibility, but you will be amazed at how many people make use of the club programs.

Third point  - the inter club social interaction. (In KZN at least), clubs host social events after their time trial events and each clubs has a turn doing this

ASA

I hate ASA - it is a corrupt organisation, but, we still need to support it because if we dont then our poor athletes will have even less opportunity

For 2021 and likely most of 2022 in SA there is not going to be mass participation events, until we are vaccinated it is not going to happen. So it will be small niche races and smaller field events. Or the potential for like 50 start batches of 50 people type set up. Warrior race did this really well- 10000 people spread out over the whole weekend so the venue is not over run. Given this entry fees will be more expensive. Just a given- the economy of 5000 people vs 50 people will never work out for the lower income runners. Club no club, either way for this year and likely next that is the sad reality.

It is going to ruin a few pro road runners, without comrades and racing- how do you represent your sponsors? They need challenges, they need publicity and they will have to be creative. That being said - all businesses in covid are doing the same thing and adapting hard to stay relative. I know a few top top roadies(even a comrades winner) are entered into UTD already- adapt overcome- give the sponsors what you promised.

I feel for the development teams and runners, this is a big challenge for them and really it is going to be tough. I saw it first hand last year. Some of us were happy to have indoor trainers and treadmills through lockdown. Some development runners were hard lock down with no way to keep training efficiently and safely. Now their major events where they earn their worth are cancelled and the only events happening are expensive.

What is good to see how some sports are going at it hard to keep racing safely- Dusi, Trail Running AR, so all is not lost...

Go for a nice slow walk in the park and follow it with an ice bath. 

When you do the math on weight(including a massive powerbank) cost and hassle. In my opinion the etrex still wins.

A big powerbank is expensive, heavy. You then need to keep cable dry and have a good resealable dry bag for it. Also good luck if it pours with rain and you need to recharge and have it out in the rain to nav. A suunto 9 will also really hit the bank balance.

You can get a few sets of replacement batteries for the etrex and cling wrap/duct tape them to keep them dry till use. If you pass a bin at an aid station you can drop them in the bin and have less weight to carry going forward. Where as a powerbank you will keep all the way. The other option could have been a Garmin foretrex, which is like an etrex with a watch strap. But they are a bit more limited in terms of route points and a lot more expensive again.

You also never have to juggle a cable while 'running'

If the only consideration is weight. then yes - Etrex 10 wins in this case.

if the only consideration was GPs performace - etrex wins

I've only ever navigated like this on a bike, where your unit is on your bar in front of you.

if you can find a way to conveniently mount a big unit so that it is as useful as a wristwatch, then yes this is ultimately better. 

interesting issue, and if the answer is a R800 2nd hand unit with AA batteries then i'm stoked!

For 2021 and likely most of 2022 in SA there is not going to be mass participation events, until we are vaccinated it is not going to happen. So it will be small niche races and smaller field events. Or the potential for like 50 start batches of 50 people type set up. Warrior race did this really well- 10000 people spread out over the whole weekend so the venue is not over run. Given this entry fees will be more expensive. Just a given- the economy of 5000 people vs 50 people will never work out for the lower income runners. Club no club, either way for this year and likely next that is the sad reality.

It is going to ruin a few pro road runners, without comrades and racing- how do you represent your sponsors? They need challenges, they need publicity and they will have to be creative. That being said - all businesses in covid are doing the same thing and adapting hard to stay relative. I know a few top top roadies(even a comrades winner) are entered into UTD already- adapt overcome- give the sponsors what you promised.

I feel for the development teams and runners, this is a big challenge for them and really it is going to be tough. I saw it first hand last year. Some of us were happy to have indoor trainers and treadmills through lockdown. Some development runners were hard lock down with no way to keep training efficiently and safely. Now their major events where they earn their worth are cancelled and the only events happening are expensive.

What is good to see how some sports are going at it hard to keep racing safely- Dusi, Trail Running AR, so all is not lost...

just in case its not clear - my comments were based around the importance of clubs during normal times (non-covid) - and why it is important to still support them during this year where there are not going to be any or many races.

Its no secret I am not a big fan of organised trail running. Not trail running - I have nothing against that, just the organised events. I find them a little bit elitist because of the entry price barrier. The entry price is high because professional event organisers are running them  - and they need to make a living off running these events so the price will of course be higher. Perhaps the clubs missed out on a opportunity here, or they were all just too focused on the events they currently had. The event organisers saw a gap in the market and grabbed it

just in case its not clear - my comments were based around the importance of clubs during normal times (non-covid) - and why it is important to still support them during this year where there are not going to be any or many races.

Its no secret I am not a big fan of organised trail running. Not trail running - I have nothing against that, just the organised events. I find them a little bit elitist because of the entry price barrier. The entry price is high because professional event organisers are running them  - and they need to make a living off running these events so the price will of course be higher. Perhaps the clubs missed out on a opportunity here, or they were all just too focused on the events they currently had. The event organisers saw a gap in the market and grabbed it

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I always wondered why trail races are so expensive as CGA/ASA and JMPD are not involved and the couple of trail races I have done had only water at the water points.  

Its no secret I am not a big fan of organised trail running. Not trail running - I have nothing against that, just the organised events. I find them a little bit elitist because of the entry price barrier. The entry price is high because professional event organisers are running them - and they need to make a living off running these events so the price will of course be higher. Perhaps the clubs missed out on a opportunity here, or they were all just too focused on the events they currently had. The event organisers saw a gap in the market and grabbed it

I got a comp entry to a well known three day trail event. The cars in the parking lot was way fancier than the yacht club.

So I only really do 1/2 destination trail races a year. Needs to be something i can only do on the race day

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I always wondered why trail races are so expensive as CGA/ASA and JMPD are not involved and the couple of trail races I have done had only water at the water points.  

I thought the conversation was aimed at the three or four thousand rand events. (Because those tables are like small woolies')

If you go kick around at smaller events at big red barn, or irene or hennops  or where ever, those runs aren't any more costly than a road race so water only is acceptably little I think.

Go for a nice slow walk in the park and follow it with an ice bath. 

Agree on the walk and ice bath, BUT after seeing Nick Bester do the ice bath thing after comrades and then trying it myself later… i hope that i will never be that desperate to recover..

Ice baths suck

Ja ja it takes 5 or 10 minutes to get used to it... you can also die in 5 or 10 minutes