ScottCM

I would buy a dedicated unit - as in not a watch. My fenix 6 in ultratrack is shockingly off on distance, like by 10kms on 50kms run. That'll be very difficult for you to manage a million kms into your run. 

Edit: my very unqualified opinion ...

This was my thinking.

I really am in 2  minds. I just like the idea of being able to carry AA batteries which I can put in if/when it dies as opposed to fiddle with power banks and chords.

I shall check run times on Oregon700 vs the eTrex.... 

Your unqualified opinion has pushed me in the direction I was leaning

(Just waiting for Dave to chime in)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question aimed mostly at the ultra athletes.... So I have always just used a basic watch with nav/route follow function for most 100 milers as the route is usually 'marked' with ribbon or reflective pegs.

I am taking on an unmarked route race later in the year and will need a nav device.

I am loath to use a watch as the race is long. Like at least 3 nights out on course long. Charging the watch with a power bank could prove tricky if still needed to nav.

So far I have looked at the Garmin eTrex variants, the Oregon variants and the gpsmap hand helds.

All seem to take rechargeable packs OR 2x AA batteries.

Is there actually a good option or should I just settle on a cheap Etrex10 and carry a bunch of AA batteries?

I don't want to spend 10k on a Garmin Instinct solar as the race will be run in July and it might rain the entire 4 and a half days!

Etrex 10 for the win. If you ask around am sure someone will lend you one. Certain event organizers we both know might even rent one to you for the event. 

An Etrex 10 will go 2 days on a set of batteries and do all that you need in terms of navigation. I have navigated motorbike races from an etrex 10 before.

A Suunto 9 in ultra mode with a few power banks will also work, but ya I still recon an etrex will do the best job.

honestly, until we are all vaccinated there is no chance of mass participation events. There are still a lot of small events happening each weekend. Honestly some of the smaller ones are better anyway IMO.

Etrex 10 for the win. If you ask around am sure someone will lend you one. Certain event organizers we both know might even rent one to you for the event. 

An Etrex 10 will go 2 days on a set of batteries and do all that you need in terms of navigation. I have navigated motorbike races from an etrex 10 before.

A Suunto 9 in ultra mode with a few power banks will also work, but ya I still recon an etrex will do the best job.

hahaha Awesome.

I have made contact with a guy selling one for R800 down the road from me. 

Score!

Update: Picking it up this evening. I can start practicing with it so that my luddite mind can use it seamlessly come July!

Edited by Jewbacca

To absolutely no one’s surprise, I wonder how long it’s going to take for Comrades to pull the plug on 2021 as well

Probably March or April, not sure why they are delaying the inevitable. Still hope the race goes ahead with only pro's but doubt they have the financial muscle like the overseas races 

To absolutely no one’s surprise, I wonder how long it’s going to take for Comrades to pull the plug on 2021 as well

Last month they said the board would meet by mid-Feb. Whether that brings a decision or not I don't know. Its dead in the water either way.

Even if they do host it. Do you want to stand in a start pen where you can't social distance. Then run in a pack of heavily breathing people. Receive food and water from unknown sources along the way. All that given that we are in a pandemic and the likelihood of you having a vaccine by then is slim to none? I mean a single beach party caused so many cases, imagine a start pen with thousands of people?

I just hope the AR and trail scene stays small enough we can still keep racing safely.

Dave nailed it. There's just no way... Even when there were talks of some alternative CTCT taking place, I told my wife that I'd much rather go on a long MTB training ride than be surrounded by people. 

Even if they do host it. Do you want to stand in a start pen where you can't social distance. Then run in a pack of heavily breathing people. Receive food and water from unknown sources along the way. All that given that we are in a pandemic and the likelihood of you having a vaccine by then is slim to none? I mean a single beach party caused so many cases, imagine a start pen with thousands of people?

I just hope the AR and trail scene stays small enough we can still keep racing safely.

Very fair points. With zero qualifying races thus far and none on the horizon it's surely not possible for Comrades to go ahead. ASA and its associated provincial bodies like KZNA must be one of the most disappointing sporting bodies in SA. Almost no effort to get any form of racing to happen. Unlike other sporting bodies. When income dries up then we'll hear the sob stories.

As far as taking part if it were to happen. Each to his own but I would.

Edited by b-rad

If last year is anything to go by.... The last minute

Expected.

Seems like ASA failed to attend two CMA meetings from what I've heard. Yet again another poor show.

With ASA licenses available who will actually get one for 2021?

Thats a good point. Things could get quickly tough(er) over there.