ScottCM

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went there yestrday morning.

I was the chick in the blue t-shirt and plakkies, with another dude also in a blue shirt.

Well done, guys and girls! I was cooking just standing there.

The event was small and it seemed to lack gees. But hopefully it will gain momentum.

Inspired, I headed to Rietvlei and started a walk. 5km became the 10km route, walk-running, then I hit the red route thinking it would take me back to the river where I was going to chill and have a snack. But it took me up the friggin' mountain instead.

Switched to the hiking route, 100% sure that THAT one went down the hill, found my way to the river, had my snack, then went home.

10km, and I was finished. So I have a lot of work to do to prep for the Backyard Ultra at the end of the year.

But... I haven't decided if I am mad enough for it yet.

I will see after the Strada 12hr MTB endurance event in May.

Also looking forward to the weekend camping at Huddle and the 12hr Strada...

There was an excel sheet with all the trail runs for the year in this thread last year, but I can't find it.  Can someone perhaps direct me? 

I had a sheet but stopped updating it a couple of months into Covid. Not sure it will be very useful anymore. Link in my signature.

Kengo Suzuki ran 2:04:56 to set a new Japanese marathon record. (just over 30 secs quicker) that's a real legit time.

15 guys run under 2:08!

Right, so it's time to start pushing myself out of my stupid comfort zone.

Registered for a 53 km Ultra Trail run in February 2022. It's in the Redwoods forest of Rotorua. 

Found a good running coach and am working on a programme to increase distance/speed in a (hopefully) smart way to minimise injury.

Most of the running will be done on roads in preparation with maybe one trail run a week. 

Last week (week 2) of my programme was my biggest week ever. 48 km of distance in one week including a 4 km running track (grass) session done barefoot to strengthen the feet. I must admit, running barefoot on soft squishy grass was awesome. I also carried out yesterdays barefoot session as an active recovery after a 21.1km road run in the morning. Today my legs feel good. Normally after a 21km, I feel tight and uncomfortable for 2-3 days.

I am pretty nervous about the 53km run, but I reckon if i take my time and build up properly over the next 11 months, it should be doable.

Right, so it's time to start pushing myself out of my stupid comfort zone.

Registered for a 53 km Ultra Trail run in February 2022. It's in the Redwoods forest of Rotorua. 

Found a good running coach and am working on a programme to increase distance/speed in a (hopefully) smart way to minimise injury.

Most of the running will be done on roads in preparation with maybe one trail run a week. 

Last week (week 2) of my programme was my biggest week ever. 48 km of distance in one week including a 4 km running track (grass) session done barefoot to strengthen the feet. I must admit, running barefoot on soft squishy grass was awesome. I also carried out yesterdays barefoot session as an active recovery after a 21.1km road run in the morning. Today my legs feel good. Normally after a 21km, I feel tight and uncomfortable for 2-3 days.

I am pretty nervous about the 53km run, but I reckon if i take my time and build up properly over the next 11 months, it should be doable.

Wayne, like anything, consistency is king.

You already have WAY more structure in your training than I do so over a year, if you keep it up, you will smash the 53km.

I did a fair bit of riding and running in and around Rotorua. A part from the smell of sulphur, the scenery will be world class. 

But yeah, stay consistent and 53km trail will soon be a Sunday training run

Thanks for the nice comment.

As for the last piece, WTAF?

:eek:  :thumbup:

It happens.... Some mates and I have been known to clock up a weekend hundy on occasion