ScottCM

Roadclaw has 8mm drop and Roadtalon 4mm drop. I'm eyeing the roadtalon as all my other inov8 shoes are 0-3mm drop.

I've had a look at the addidas and nike shoes as well today, but I think I'll end up heading to sweatshop this weekend to try a few different ones before I settle.

I see the roadtalon has 4mm drop and the 3mm insole, will that effectively make it the same as a normal 7mm drop shoe?

The NB Zante's are all 6mm drop. Got a pair of the original FF Zante on sale the other day and love it, nippy little shoe. That is about max drop I go to, but I really like them.  

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the explanations of the colours?   I can work out most of them, but not all.

It's just a breakdown of the pace/effort really. Red = conserve heavily, Orange = take it slow, Yellow = run your easy pace, Green = you can afford to push a bit

The NB Zante's are all 6mm drop. Got a pair of the original FF Zante on sale the other day and love it, nippy little shoe. That is about max drop I go to, but I really like them.  

I also run in the Zante's. Usually get about 800km+ on them and then the outsoles are flat - use them then at work and do a bit of "off-road" running. My last two pairs cost R1200 and R800 respectively, both still version 1...

I am however keen to try out the Vongo and see how they goes.

Welcome to the clan Dexter! :thumbup:

Start slow and steady! Aim for consistent efforts rather than one all out training effort. 3 short efforts a week will be far more beneficial to getting your body to adapt than overdoing it in one hard session when you're still beginning.

When you run, there are no downhills to freewheel on, to recover....

Start slow and steady! Aim for consistent efforts rather than one all out training effort. 3 short efforts a week will be far more beneficial to getting your body to adapt than overdoing it in one hard session when you're still beginning.

Agreed 100%, and by Short he means Short!! start off with less than 2km runs 3 times a week and build on that by increasing by 10% week on week. Everyone here has taken the long road, most of us tried the shortcut but paid the price for it via injuries. 

Most importantly, just enjoy it

Thanks, the longest I have done was 10k with my old New balance shoes, the new ones are like a Rolse Royce compared to the old ones that I bought from the the factory store with ZERO assistance, the sweat shop, help me this time.

So I have about 2 weeks of 'consistent' running in, and feeling good.

My "long" run on Sat was a brick workout 10min spin at home, to a 5k run at 5:30min/km into a 70km road ride. I'll be upping the run distance next weekend and see how it feels.

So if I can get that Sat run up to about 15km along with the ride, is it possible to run a 1:30 half at Soweto?

Edited by Jurgens Smit

Last year while watching 

My "long" run on Sat was a brick workout 10min spin at home, to a 5k run at 5:30min/km into a 70km road ride. I'll be upping the run distance next weekend and see how it feels.

So if I can get that Sat run up to about 15km along with the ride, is it possible to run a 1:30 half at Soweto?

I'm not sure how fast that is exactly only that it's around 4:10/km

Last year while watching the 2 Oceans Half Marathon, Mr. Bruce made a comment which has stuck with me ever since, he said That anyone who can run a sub 90 HM is an athlete and not a runner. That's because for most people no matter how many years they run, sub 90 is not a realistic goal. Sub 90 is tremendously difficult as genetics, biomechanics etc plays a big role in achieving this feat. 

As i am not coach, doctor nor do i know you, so I will not say yes or no. Just don't be disappointed if its not achievable right now, who knows, maybe with enough training you will realise that you do have the genes to achieve it. 

Last year while watching 

Last year while watching the 2 Oceans Half Marathon, Mr. Bruce made a comment which has stuck with me ever since, he said That anyone who can run a sub 90 HM is an athlete and not a runner. That's because for most people no matter how many years they run, sub 90 is not a realistic goal. Sub 90 is tremendously difficult as genetics, biomechanics etc plays a big role in achieving this feat. 

As i am not coach, doctor nor do i know you, so I will not say yes or no. Just don't be disappointed if its not achievable right now, who knows, maybe with enough training you will realise that you do have the genes to achieve it. 

Thanks so much, great answer.

Without knowing all your history as an athlete etc, what I can tell you is that the speed improvements necessary to get under the 5 min a kay mark for anything beyond a 5K is just mental! I have been trying to do it for quite some time and most efforts have me making marginal gains before an overuse injury comes up and then that needs to be dealt with first before making the next press for speed gains.

At your current training pace over 5Ks you'll run a 1 hour 55 min 30 seconds half if you keep that average pace up through the entire race. Yes you could run your 5K with a harder effort, but you can't sustain your 5K pace over the full 21 clicks even if you're a seasoned runner.

To dip under 1 hour 30 minutes you will need to run at 14km\h or 4 min 16 seconds a kilo pace FOR 21.1KMS!!!! (The bold part is the hard part! Getting to that level of intensity and having the training to sustain it, is a serious challenge!) Good luck with your attempts though! It will require SERIOUS dedication and a whole lot of luck in avoiding injuries! 

On another note, in CT we have the FNB ONErun that is coming up this weekend and it seems popular as ever! It's only 12 clicks, but it's a super fast run! Good luck to any CT crew running what should be a sprint effort for you seasoned Comrades clan!

Last year while watching

I must be more runner (jogger) than athlete

Have only run 1 sub 90 out of many HM's

This was run while being coached for a marathon as part of an advanced run for life group in JNB in the 90's, and surprisingly with very little speed work. Only speed work we did was the occasional TT and fartlek session, the rest was all easy LSD efforts. The coach actually said that we (my training partner at the time) were running to fast in our training and we must train slower..... we were very sceptical but it worked as we both ran < 90 min for the old Bliss 21 in Bedfordview.

Pity the marafun did not go as well.... another story

Without knowing all your history as an athlete etc, what I can tell you is that the speed improvements necessary to get under the 5 min a kay mark for anything beyond a 5K is just mental! I have been trying to do it for quite some time and most efforts have me making marginal gains before an overuse injury comes up and then that needs to be dealt with first before making the next press for speed gains.

At your current training pace over 5Ks you'll run a 1 hour 55 min 30 seconds half if you keep that average pace up through the entire race. Yes you could run your 5K with a harder effort, but you can't sustain your 5K pace over the full 21 clicks even if you're a seasoned runner.

To dip under 1 hour 30 minutes you will need to run at 14km\h or 4 min 16 seconds a kilo pace FOR 21.1KMS!!!! (The bold part is the hard part! Getting to that level of intensity and having the training to sustain it, is a serious challenge!) Good luck with your attempts though! It will require SERIOUS dedication and a whole lot of luck in avoiding injuries! 

Running background fairly rubbish, cycling 4 years swimming 7 years (3 of which at competitive schools-provincial level). 21 years old.

But also thanks for the input. Will be giving it all in training and then see what happens on the day 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUNPJx_liby/

• bruce_fordyceAlmost every ComradesMarathon medal in my collection; Bottom row; Back to back medal , bronze, Bill Rowan, silver, #winners medallion, second place medallion and third place bronze medallion( with red and black Collegians Harriers ribbon.They were the organising club before #CMA was formed) age group winners silver medal.top row; platinum medal "spirit of Comrades award" Gunga Din team trophy miniature, and gold medal. Two missing-Wally Hayward medal which I can never earn and Vic Clapham medal which is a certainty next time i run. Too slow now for any of the other medals! Hope this inspires you #comrades #marathon 2017 Comrades #runners www.brucefordyce.com
Edited by Jackes

You come to a point where minutes feels like hours and seconds like minutes. In the beginning gains are easy and quick, but the faster you become the harder it gets.

Sub90 21km is super fast for mere mortals. I can do a 1h45 HM with some ease, but a sub 1h40 is way out of my reach atm. I got my 5km down from 29min to just over 21mins in a few months, but breaking 21mins is just not coming.