ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also spotted this on DCrainmaker for the Wrist based HR guys who still want the running dynamics...https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmins-running-dynamics-pod-rd-pod-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

Says it does not work with a Fenix 3 / 3HR !!

At this time these are as follows:

– Forerunner 735XT

– Forerunner 935

– Fenix 5, 5S, 5X

The most obvious missing watch from the above would be the Fenix 3/3HR series.  Personally, I think that’s a pretty big omission.  And even more, I think Garmin is just leaving free money on the table there.  People that would have bought a Fenix 3/3HR in the last year aren’t likely to buy a new watch.  But they are likely to splurge on a $69 pod like this.

Edited by shaper

Did a bit of googling. I see the Garmin pod is only compatible with Fenix 5, 735 and the 935... So if you were to hypothetically get a cheap-ish fenix 3, you will need the HRM strap...

Edit: I see shaper posted this already..

Edited by CobusV

Says it does not work with a Fenix 3 / 3HR !!

At this time these are as follows:

– Forerunner 735XT

– Forerunner 935

– Fenix 5, 5S, 5X

The most obvious missing watch from the above would be the Fenix 3/3HR series.  Personally, I think that’s a pretty big omission.  And even more, I think Garmin is just leaving free money on the table there.  People that would have bought a Fenix 3/3HR in the last year aren’t likely to buy a new watch.  But they are likely to splurge on a $69 pod like this.

Weird that... Fenix 3's are still probably the most common of their high end watches

Just recently changed (back)...  :ph34r:  :whistling:

You had the Forerunner 230 right?   Care to share why the change?

Am I correct is seeing that Suunto has way more battery life than the Garmins?

Weird that... Fenix 3's are still probably the most common of their high end watches

Agreed.  I have the Fenix3 and use the Addidas miCoach footpod, picked mine up a year or so ago off Gumtree for next to nothing :)

Footpods pop up here in the classifieds quite often

Edited by shaper

You need to get a stryd footpod power meter, will give you all the metrics and more https://www.stryd.com/

I've actually been running with a Stryd now since May - the results have been very interesting when compared to my older training sets.  I'm still getting to grips with all the info, but my duathlon times run times have definitely improved - especially the second run

I've actually been running with a Stryd now since May - the results have been very interesting when compared to my older training sets.  I'm still getting to grips with all the info, but my duathlon times run times have definitely improved - especially the second run

Are you pacing based on power similar to a bike power meter?

I use golden cheetah to review all my workouts (run/cycle/swim), I have a power meter on my bike for pacing and now golden cheetah in one of the latest updates has the ability to estimate running power based on I think HR, pace, cadence etc (current info from Fenix3).... so am beginning to interpret/learn at what metrics are best suited for me to pace without burning too many matches, especially on hills..... would be nice to have a real time power meter like the stryd as i know the benefits that I have gained from having a power meter on my bike.

I am - Garmin Connect does not have the run power function yet, so I build my workouts in Bike, and then use the bike function when doing my run sets.  I convert back to a run once downloaded.  The Garmin then warns me if my power is too high or too low.  It's been very interesting - when running on pace, I was typically running too fast up the hills so was pushing my HR into a different zone, but was slacking off on the downhills, so my HR was dropping again - now running with power, my pace is all over the place, but my HR remains really constant.

Here's one of the clearest indications I saw on my last run:

The set was 4km Warm up (230W), 2.7Km Hard (290W), 2km Cool off (230W)

Line1  228 watts 25:16 4km 6:17/km 73.2 watts 9.8 kN/m  

Line2  284 watts 13:14 2.7km 4:54/km 77.9 watts 9.7 kN/m 

Line3  229 watts 11:31 2km  5:47/km 73.3 watts 9.8 kN/m 

Look at the difference between line1's warm up pace (6.17/km) and line3's cool off pace (5.47/km) yet the power for both is almost identical - showing that I was running at the same intensity, but different paces.  In the past, I was warming up at 5:45/km, which was what I thought was a good pace, but a way too high intensity.

I guess if you are an experienced runner you would probably know this, but for me who is a cyclist with a running problem, it was a real eye opener

Edited by Andymann

I am - Garmin Connect does not have the run power function yet, so I build my workouts in Bike, and then use the bike function when doing my run sets.  I convert back to a run once downloaded.  The Garmin then warns me if my power is too high or too low.  It's been very interesting - when running on pace, I was typically running too fast up the hills so was pushing my HR into a different zone, but was slacking off on the downhills, so my HR was dropping again - now running with power, my pace is all over the place, but my HR remains really constant.

You can also use Trainingpeaks and the inbuilt workout builder https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/introducing-trainingpeaks-workout-builder/ for creating workouts for run sets based on % of FTP.  Then there is a Garmin IQ trainingpeaks workout integration for importing to your garmin watch.  Is much easier than creating in Garmin Connect

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/trainingpeaks-new-structured-workout-integration-with-garmin-wearables.html

I use it for my cycling workouts (%FTP) and for runs either %THR or %TPace

Edit: with my Fenix3 I have to import the workouts manually and not via the Trainingpeaks IQ, but for the cycling and my Edge520, works perfect 

Edited by shaper

You can also use Trainingpeaks and the inbuilt workout builder https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/introducing-trainingpeaks-workout-builder/ for creating workouts for run sets based on % of FTP.  Then there is a Garmin IQ trainingpeaks workout integration for importing to your garmin watch.  Is much easier than creating in Garmin Connect

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/trainingpeaks-new-structured-workout-integration-with-garmin-wearables.html

I use it for my cycling workouts (%FTP) and for runs either %THR or %TPace

I have short arms and deep pockets - that only works on the full version which I am too snoep to buy ;-)

Agreed.  I have the Fenix3 and use the Addidas miCoach footpod, picked mine up a year or so ago off Gumtree for next to nothing :)

Footpods pop up here in the classifieds quite often

I have one and used it twice (indoors) since I have the HRM-Run strap.

Been wanting to put it on the classifieds for some time so if someone is in need let me know. The running belt with the Fenix 3 generally does the trick so not sure it will be relevant in that case Andrew.