ScottCM

Kaapsehoop, its ALL downhill. Good practice for the down run

The problem with our local runs is that it's mostly flat, so you dont get the up or down benefit.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with our local runs is that it's mostly flat, so you dont get the up or down benefit.

Too true, Johnson Crane is a lesson on flat running..

Okay, I'm starting like my physio... not her fingers, but that's another topic! 

I did not get the "In my professional opinion..." speech. Instead I got the "It's not going to be optimal, you'll have to come back before the weekend, let's see what shape we can get you in..." surprise!  :thumbup:

Ja, basically the join between the one section of calf and knee which is a bit... ehhrr... stuffed. What also came out of the investigation is that I under-utilise (this doing endurance sport!) my hammies - the biggest muscle. So after CTM I must start working on strengthening those. 

Bloody sore today, but that's just in reaction to the treatment.

Jeez,im a lot broken after Saturday's 50km Monties. Climbing 3100m in 23km is not fun. And I got the scars to prove it. Ha ha ha. Hit the ground 2km from the finish, but did it like a pro..They could've scored me 10/10 for the duck,dive and roll. I just went into this race with the mindset of taking pics and gopro videos and enjoying myself. Sometimes you have to switch if this racing mode and and just enjoy the scenery. And I loved every minute of the suffering.

You deserve a 10/10 just for climbing that much in 23 km

????

I remember a few years ago listening to one of coach Parry's podcasts, in which he mentioned doing gym work for the down run. 

This got me thinking, to the experienced runners on here, what pearls of wisdom do you have that you are willing to share with the novices for Comrades as well as those tackling their first down run?

I remember a few years ago listening to one of coach Parry's podcasts, in which he mentioned doing gym work for the down run. 

This got me thinking, to the experienced runners on here, what pearls of wisdom do you have that you are willing to share with the novices for Comrades as well as those tackling their first down run?

The down run is not a down run. There is plenty of climbing, especially in the last 20km. When I did my first Comrades, which was also a down run, I didn't expect so much climbing... 

The down run is not a down run. There is plenty of climbing, especially in the last 20km. When I did my first Comrades, which was also a down run, I didn't expect so much climbing...

IIRC something like 1300 gain on the down vs the 1900 for the up. So definitely some climbing to do in between.

Also heard Bruce comment on strenght training, especially quads.

Hey guys. Any tips on making the treadmill more interesting? I have to to all my runs on it. The short or just over 10k ones are alright but the 30k lsd runs are a nightmare. It is mindnumbingly boring! Supose it is a good mental workout. But anyone got a tip or idea to beat the boredom?

Hey guys. Any tips on making the treadmill more interesting? I have to to all my runs on it. The short or just over 10k ones are alright but the 30k lsd runs are a nightmare. It is mindnumbingly boring! Supose it is a good mental workout. But anyone got a tip or idea to beat the boredom?

You have my sympathies, hate running on the treadmill at home...mentally much harder than cycling on the IDT

My wife runs on it in winter or when the weather is bad and she did some long runs on it for her last comrades. She watches TV series on a portable dvd player which i also use when i'm cycling on the IDT... its a very old portable dvd player but its a life saver...maybe try something like that. 

Pic of treadmill with dvd player on the left. We use the ear phones and while running feed the cable under the front of your shirt so it does not swish around and irritate / hook on your hands.

post-182-0-17753800-1505241992_thumb.jpg

Brutal Race. The first 10km single track put brakes on my desired pace. It was soul destroying walking up to Sentinel car park ON A PAVED ROAD. So wrong. The path to the chain ladders had one or two places that tested my fear of flying, where the rocks were a bit "off centre". The way back was fast and awesome. The logs of the last three km's felt like an eternity of step ups. Worth doing at least once.

I never breath so hard as in those first 10km. That sentinel road that zig zagged up to the Escarpment felt like an eternity. I still can't believe no one has ever fallen down that mountain in the race. I mean, your tired and your concentration isn't as sharp as it was in the beginning.

You have my sympathies, hate running on the treadmill at home...mentally much harder than cycling on the IDT

My wife runs on it in winter or when the weather is bad and she did some long runs on it for her last comrades. She watches TV series on a portable dvd player which i also use when i'm cycling on the IDT... its a very old portable dvd player but its a life saver...maybe try something like that.

Pic of treadmill with dvd player on the left. We use the ear phones and while running feed the cable under the front of your shirt so it does not swish around and irritate / hook on your hands.

IDT_TRDM.jpg

Awesome thanks! I'll try get something like that.

Our treadmill is in the living area and we used to watch movies during those long runs on weekends. It was the inky way to help get through it. Now that we were outside the whole summer, this winter was a nightmare. Luckily we can go outside again now.

What I can tell you is if you can do a 21 or whatever on the treadmill, you can sure as heaven do it outside. I helps with mental strenght. I struggled to do 5km runs on it this winter

IIRC something like 1300 gain on the down vs the 1900 for the up. So definitely some climbing to do in between.

Also heard Bruce comment on strenght training, especially quads.

It's not really that much climbing though...

BWmLN4XIEAAPG0r.jpg

So how are the CT marathoners tapering going?

Are you all ready for your first marathon after Comrades?

Looking forward to watching it on TV on Sunday  ^_^

So how are the CT marathoners tapering going?

Are you all ready for your first marathon after Comrades?

Looking forward to watching it on TV on Sunday  ^_^

To lazy to go search :devil: , on which channel and what time will it be broadcast?

EDIT: Did go search, can't find it

Edited by ScottC-M

All is good until Botha's where the continual (quad) hammering of the downhill sections really start , especially Botha's -> Pinetown.  It will make you pray for an uphill until you do get to the little buggers after Pinetown.  After PT even the little uphills, which normally would have been a non-event, feel really really tough, especially those encountered going into (larger) Durban area.

(For me) the race only really started after ~53km.