ScottCM

Lexx, using Black Mambas for speed training is ingenious... no wonder you so fast  :thumbup:

Believe you me. I will never ever use that field again for my speed sessions. :eek: .

I hate snakes. :ph34r:

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im also needing new road shoes, my Nimbus have almost done 1000km and are only now feeling comfy but my big toes are popping out the top.  I want to try the Hoka or the New Balance 880's, just not to keen on the Nimbus again, they just too much shoe if that makes any sense..Im worries that like the Nimbus, the Hoka will also have too much cushioning.  Any suggestions?

The Hoka will have too much cushion, and then you will run a steep downhill and you will fall in love with them hahaha.

It would be really cool if shoe shops held "demo days" like Giant, Specialized and co do..then we could at least try the shoes out  :whistling: . Running up and down a concrete floor at Poobie Naidoos is not really much of a test cos all new shoes feel good for couple of metres.

The Hoka will have too much cushion, and then you will run a steep downhill and you will fall in love with them hahaha.

I'm also keen to try out Hoka. Specifically the Clayton 2's which seems to be on special all over the place..

if you are in America you have 30 days to test them... Sadly not in SA. :mellow:

30 DAY GUARANTEE + FREE SHIPPING & FREE RETURNS

The HOKA ONE ONE 30 Day Guarantee

Don’t take our word for it, ask another runner. Better yet, try a pair for yourself. Take them for a run, or two or ten. If you are not completely satisfied, you can return or exchange them within 30 days of the original purchase, no questions asked. What have you got to lose?

*Free Ground Shipping applies to ALL full priced orders shipped via standard ground within the continental United States and placed on hokaoneone.com.

if you are in America you have 30 days to test them... Sadly not in SA. :mellow:

30 DAY GUARANTEE + FREE SHIPPING & FREE RETURNS

The HOKA ONE ONE 30 Day Guarantee

Don’t take our word for it, ask another runner. Better yet, try a pair for yourself. Take them for a run, or two or ten. If you are not completely satisfied, you can return or exchange them within 30 days of the original purchase, no questions asked. What have you got to lose?

*Free Ground Shipping applies to ALL full priced orders shipped via standard ground within the continental United States and placed on hokaoneone.com.

That would be great. At the moment trail and error in finding the perfect road shoe is making me bankrupt.

Same goes for Nike.

As for Adidas, I so want to give the Supernova's a go, but why oh why don't they make them wider or at least then in wide fit as well. :(

I've moved from altras to supernova 9's and find the toe box, at least, is just as roomy.

That would be great. At the moment trail and error in finding the perfect road shoe is making me bankrupt. 

Im with you on this one...why is it that a road shoe is more difficult to get right than a trail shoe??? 

Imagine 30 days to test in SA..all the used shoes could get sold at reduced prices to all those less fortunate but excellent runners that are running in hand down 1000km shoes. 

Im with you on this one...why is it that a road shoe is more difficult to get right than a trail shoe??? 

Imagine 30 days to test in SA..all the used shoes could get sold at reduced prices to all those less fortunate but excellent runners that are running in hand down 1000km shoes. 

Couldn't agree more. You can't make a decision on a R 2800 pair of shoes (Asics) in 5 minutes just because you have been running with that specific make and model for years. Sizing differs between versions.

I think this is a great business opportunity for smaller running gear shops. If I had to choose between trying a shoe for one or two runs vs. shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse or even buying online I will definitely go to the smaller running shop.

Couldn't agree more. You can't make a decision on a R 2800 pair of shoes (Asics) in 5 minutes just because you have been running with that specific make and model for years. Sizing differs between versions.

I think this is a great business opportunity for smaller running gear shops. If I had to choose between trying a shoe for one or two runs vs. shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse or even buying online I will definitely go to the smaller running shop.

A small running gear shop would be out of business pretty soon if they had to carry demo stock of every shoe they sell in every size so that people can try .... and probably more than 1 shoe of the general average size... as am sure you would be not very happy if you went to said shop and asked for the demo shoe in your size and got told, sorry we only got 1 pair in that size and they are already out on demo loan for the next 10 days, so you will have to wait..... I bet you will leave said shop in less than a happy mood and go to the larger stock shops which have what you want!!

Sometimes people need to live in the real world and think how much a business would have to fork up for stock, cover costs and loss of stock due to demo's being sold as discount.... and then still try and make a profit, whilst keeping people who think such and such would be a great idea .... as they really have no clue of running a business, what it costs and having cash flow tied up in hundreds of demo running shoes.

What you need is large manufactures like ASIC, New Balance, Nike, Addidas etc to have demo days where you can go do a 5km run in shoes you want to try.  Running shoe shops could never afford to do this.

EDIT:

I am a bike shop having a Spez demo weekend, I have 3 new bike models, I therefore need 3 bikes in each size S, M and L for the 3 bikes, 9 in total.  As all I need to do is adjust the saddle for various riders

I am a running shoe shop.  I am having a ASICS demo weekend.  I have 6 models of shoes 3 neutral and 3 stability.  I need to have stock from shoes size 5 up to 14 including half sizes which is 19 pairs of shoes per model, that equates to 114 shoes taken from my stock that I have paid for which comes out of my cash flow and then I still have to try to recover to replace stock by now selling 114 pairs of demo shoes at reduced price.  Economics of scale does not make this viable being a small running shoe shop..... especially if I start considering other brands as well.

Edited by shaper

I know the Sweat Shop has a 14 day no questions asked return policy. My wife just bought a pair of New Balance 880s from The Randburg Runner and on her first outing found that it tore up the second toe from her pinky. There's a tiny seam there and she's got very long outer toes so it's an edge case scenario (she loved the shoes otherwise) and something she only picked up after 4km in the shoes. I took them back yesterday and they made no fuss of accepting them and crediting us.

I saw you were looking for an option outside of the Nimbus. She was also using the 19 and found them klunky, heavy and overbuilt. She said if it wasn't for her long toes she would have kept the NB 880. She also loved the Saucony Ride, which is marginally lighter than the Hoka Clifton 4, but found the back sat too low below her Achilles, which didn't give her confidence.

In the end I ordered her another pair of her trusty Bostons from Poobie, which arrived the next day. Still on the hunt for a good ultra shoe for her though.

Edited by Barry Stuart

In the end I ordered her another pair of her trusty Bostons from Poobie, which arrived the next day. Still on the hunt for a good ultra shoe for her though.

Nothing wrong with the Bostons for Ultras if you are reasonably Lightweight

I ran my last 2 Comrades in the Adios Boston Boosts....

And I'm considering even going slightly lighter with the Adizero Boost next year for the down..

Nothing wrong with the Bostons for Ultras if you are reasonably Lightweight

I ran my last 2 Comrades in the Adios Boston Boosts....

And I'm considering even going slightly lighter with the Adizero Boost next year for the down..

Ja, she used the Bostons for Comrades this year but I'm trying to find her a shoe that will give her legs a break on our recovery runs and maybe keep them fresher a bit longer into the ultras. I figured a bit of extra cushion might help for the downhills of Kaapsehoop as well but we'll keep experimenting.

I saw a guy running in a pair of Adios at Comrades this year, my feet felt sore just watching him. If you've got the form, though, I suppose you can run in anything. I mean, guys used to run in Onitsuka Tigers, right?

Ja, she used the Bostons for Comrades this year but I'm trying to find her a shoe that will give her legs a break on our recovery runs and maybe keep them fresher a bit longer into the ultras. I figured a bit of extra cushion might help for the downhills of Kaapsehoop as well but we'll keep experimenting.

I saw a guy running in a pair of Adios at Comrades this year, my feet felt sore just watching him. If you've got the form, though, I suppose you can run in anything. I mean, guys used to run in Onitsuka Tigers, right?

Yep Alan Robb ran in the Tigers..

I suppose its what you are used to.. I like running in a Light responsive shoe..

So I will race a Marathon in the Brooks T7s or Hyperian's that sit at 178-185g

So stepping up to the 230g Boston's on my long stuff feels well supportive for me..

But it is all relative to time on the feet.. Ill race a marathon in 2h45, there is no chance I could run 4hrs in a T7..

I honesty feel I would be 20-30secs per km slower over Comrades (30mins) if I ran in something like a 350g Nimbus.. But then I do weigh around 65kgs

If I go on what runrepeat rankings are then I think I am going to look at the Asics DynaFlyte and compare them with the New Balance Vazee Rush..I took the 3 I like i.e. Asics, New Balance and Hoka and did the comparison,  DynaFlyte was ranked 2 overall at a price of R1599 from Poobies. 

Poobies are also pretty good at taking back shoes.  I returned a trail shoe that had done 5km and they didnt even flinch.

I tried Adidas and Brooks on but dont like where the plastic strips are on the top of the shoes. Makes the top fold strangely on my foot. :wacko: