ScottCM

I'm so bloody jealous. Everyone has a lekker club to train with. I am doing all my training all by my lonesome self. Lol.

You are not alone...

Running clubs like in SA are unheard of in switz

We started our own “club” unofficially with about 6 members, all girls except me ????

But I still mostly train alone, just prefer to follow my own “nose”

https://youtu.be/a9sFd3Ennhs

Edited by SwissVan

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not alone...

Running clubs like in SA are unheard of in switz

We started our own “club” unofficially with about 6 members, all girls except me

But I still mostly train alone, just prefer to follow my own “nose”

we have three massive clubs based within 20km of me...but their evening runs are always late ....like 7:30 at night...wheras i prefer to run as soon as I get home.  They also generally do their weekend run on Sunday...which i not how I operate..so i still run on my own

:thumbdown:

Ja i know they suck at soccer but their fans do sing this song pretty well

Edited by SwissVan

There is a running club here. But they only run short runs every now and again. We are not really on good speaking terms. I had a fallout with the clubs administration. We had different views on things at our club and how it should change so it could help everyone. But the "click" in our club thought I was just talking sh@t. So I showed them the middle finger and left couple of years ago.

Sounds like the normal club politics... very set in their ways... Don't like change or new ideas. 

Our club chairman has been with the club for 43 years. He is in his 70's and he doesn't like change. I have suggested so many changes, but it gets shot down as "it is not how it works".  

I love my club, but you have to sometimes bite your tongue as it is not worth getting worked up about it. 

we have three massive clubs based within 20km of me...but their evening runs are always late ....like 7:30 at night...wheras i prefer to run as soon as I get home.  They also generally do their weekend run on Sunday...which i not how I operate..so i still run on my own

Our evening runs start at 6 pm at night. With my commuting and no flexi working hours, there is no way I can make it in time. I leave work early on a Wednesday to be on time for the time trials. Normally I will only join the club runs on weekends. As per my previous response, they are very stuck in their ways. All club runs must start at the club, which means there are only 3 or 4 routes to choose from. 

We started an informal group of runners who lived in the same area group... There were about 6 of us.

It grew, then went on social media and now out Tuesday night 6pm 'CLUB' run gets split into 3 groups with a leader and a sweeper, trackers and set routes. As a trail group I still belong to an official club to give me access to Oceans and other ultras, but I run with the group or members of the group all the time.

On that note, anyone else doing the BATrun/Peninsula double next weekend?

Sounds like the normal club politics... very set in their ways... Don't like change or new ideas. 

Our club chairman has been with the club for 43 years. He is in his 70's and he doesn't like change. I have suggested so many changes, but it gets shot down as "it is not how it works".  

I love my club, but you have to sometimes bite your tongue as it is not worth getting worked up about it.

I think one of the issues faced by clubs is that new big plans (both good and bad) are suggested by members all the time but when those making the suggestions are asked if they will help to implement or drive the new idea they're suddenly very quiet. As with anything, in order for anything to happen it's often the same people doing all the work.

Change is a good thing but in order for it to happen a driving force is needed which is unlikely to come from the long-standing, comfortable members.

I joined a club because ASA said I have to. Running alone is good for the soul. I did some 3hour long runs in the early hours of the morning, no people, no cars ,nothing. Bliss.

I too prefer the bulk of my running or riding on my own. I love the occasional club run with a group of nutters chatting the miles away, but its definitely not what defines me as a runner. 

There is a running club here. But they only run short runs every now and again. We are not really on good speaking terms. I had a fallout with the clubs administration. We had different views on things at our club and how it should change so it could help everyone. But the "click" in our club thought I was just talking sh@t. So I showed them the middle finger and left couple of years ago.

Don't worry, I thought all clubs were like that ????

I do ALL my training on my own...much needed me time and much prefer it. Weekends are for mates and doing events and even a lot of that is on my own.

#bliss

Very interesting read - not that I read every word. I also tend to run slower - mostly in an attempt to keep injuries away. And maybe running more trail also helps with the go-slower attitude. Despite no real speedwork except the odd tempo 10 or so I have at times surprised myself when I do end up doing the odd half.

Was thinking of incorporating an interval session every week or two this year. This hasn't materialised yet! Mostly because of, ironically, picking up an injury and now trying to get going properly again. 

I should probably start training soon  :ph34r:  :blush:

Dont say stuff like that, you'll give me false hope that I can do it :huh: