ScottCM

Any hubbers running Boston Marathon? Weather looks dreadful - windy, raining, and about 0 degrees. On now on Supersport 5

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any hubbers running Boston Marathon? Weather looks dreadful - windy, raining, and about 0 degrees. On now on Supersport 5

David Roche made a comment this morning on twitter stating that in a couple of years time there will be 500 000 runners having run Boston in 2018 sharing stories... with a pic of the weather prediction.  ;)

Reckon these only a handful of us that can qualify without forking out the big bucks (me not included!). I'm waiting till I'm 45 to try qualify because then I only need a 3:20 Marathon as opposed to a 3:15...no ways I can do that. Definitely on my bucket list Edited by Stretch

I went to pick up my Loskop Race Number in Centurion today. I had to fill in consent forms on behalf of the 15 club mates whose numbers I had to pick up... how does that make sense? 

anyone here running with stryd ?  R3500 is wild for a footpot

I've been using one for just on a year.  To be fair, it's not quite a Footpod and compared to what you pay for a cycling power meter (and what you pay for a decent pair of shoes) its very reasonable.

I'm seeing some pretty decent improvement in my numbers too - my 10km time has improved by just under 4mins from 45 to 41.

I've been using one for just on a year.  To be fair, it's not quite a Footpod and compared to what you pay for a cycling power meter (and what you pay for a decent pair of shoes) its very reasonable.

I'm seeing some pretty decent improvement in my numbers too - my 10km time has improved by just under 4mins from 45 to 41.

compare to a pair of shoes that last 800 km  its not bad . I was wondering if its worth it .

thanks for the reply. where did you buy? 

Its not quite a power meter either though is it ;)

I went to pick up my Loskop Race Number in Centurion today. I had to fill in consent forms on behalf of the 15 club mates whose numbers I had to pick up... how does that make sense? 

No good deed will go unpunished  :P 

But honestly - I can see they were actually helping you (and 15 runners out.)  They could have refused as they did send the consent letter out on Friday.  At least now they will know who collected the numbers, in case of enquiries?

Its not quite a power meter either though is it ;)

Correct - It doesn't measure power through a strain gauge like a cycling power meter, but rather measures your leg acceleration and speed with an accelerometer, and from your mass calculates Power.  But I'm happy with that, and all my Intervals are now power based and not pace or HR

Correct - It doesn't measure power through a strain gauge like a cycling power meter, but rather measures your leg acceleration and speed with an accelerometer, and from your mass calculates Power.  But I'm happy with that, and all my Intervals are now power based and not pace or HR

I looked at the Stryd but at this moment in time could not justify the cost for the relative data output. Apart from power, the Garmin tri-hrm gives a lot of similar measurements, ground contact time, vertical oscillation etc and there is a function on Golden Cheetah in the Edit drop-down menu which will estimate power for your run or interval workout.  Whilst this is obviously post work out analysis of power, and not in real time, it is very useful as an analytical tool when correlating effort and theoretical power.

I went this option of the tri-hrm as I could not see the benefits of the additional cost for a stryd

compare to a pair of shoes that last 800 km  its not bad . I was wondering if its worth it .

thanks for the reply. where did you buy? 

It's an entire new approach to running, but you need to experience it I think to have that "Wow" moment.  Initially i was a bit skeptical because my slow runs became really slow but that lasted about two months before I started seeing an improvement.  What I eventually did to convince myself was to run my 5km test lap on Power, then on Pace, and finally on HR.  It's quite a hilly lap, so on Pace my HR was all over the place, which meant my effort wasn't constant, and on HR I lost time because on the downhills I was waiting for my HR to drop so over compensated.  The Stryd just measures the force of your foot hitting the ground and is immediate so on the uphill you slow down almost immediately, and on the downhill you speed up almost immediately.  While my Pace on the Power run was all over the place, my HR was almost constant so that showed me my effort over the 5km was pretty much constant.  That convinced me.

I've also noticed now that I'm able to do my track-sets out on the road and regardless of the terrain, my power is constant so my effort is constant.  Means I don't always have to hit a treadmill or a track to do my track-sets....

Congratulations to our very own SHAPER for qualifying for this years Ironman 70.3 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!

You deserve it bud!!! 

Well done shaper !

How did your iron man go Scott ?

I looked at the Stryd but at this moment in time could not justify the cost for the relative data output. Apart from power, the Garmin tri-hrm gives a lot of similar measurements, ground contact time, vertical oscillation etc and there is a function on Golden Cheetah in the Edit drop-down menu which will estimate power for your run or interval workout.  Whilst this is obviously post work out analysis of power, and not in real time, it is very useful as an analytical tool when correlating effort and theoretical power.

I went this option of the tri-hrm as I could not see the benefits of the additional cost for a stryd

For sure - it's not a must have.  But incidentally now what we are working on for my run is more the efficiency of my run (using form power) and also the spring in my legs (using Leg spring stiffness) - and that seems to be also making quite a difference.  I'm not blessed with the form of a Kenyan, and I have only been running for 5 years so I don't know my body well enough to use RPE, so to have something that gives me real time info has really helped