ScottCM

How often and how many deep tissue massages?

I am not convinced about the camber effect, not in my case in anyways.   Due to the times of night that we run, I only run in the middle of the road and that did not help me much.

I cannot resist the old Irish joke about Paddy who was running down the middle of the road, and asked why, he said that the instructions on the soup packet said "tear along the dotted line"

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of different views on how to solve ITB... this article is very in-depth though and gives a nice all round view that certainly works for me:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2142646/definitive-guide-banishing-it-band-pain-good

On the view of running while suffering from it, I often feel it coming on in longer runs but can often manage it with some stretching on the go, but when it gets to the point of that sharp severe shooting pain up the outside of your knee, then I would honestly advise treatment and rest from my limited personal experience... the inflammation and damage caused around the knee takes time to fix.

The idea of running on grass or a track to reduce impact certainly makes sense too... not sure about the speed work though. But lots of different views out there, I can only go on my experience.

"Then I believe it will be time to start a 3 week taper to race day. Each runner will know how much to cut back but as an example I used to slash about a quarter or third of my training load off each week. I used to run 10 weeks of 160-200 kilometres a week, then I would cut that to 120 kilometres for the first week of my taper and then run 80 kilometres in the second week. At the same time I sharpened up by running some faster quality, track, hill and time trial sessions. This helped to bring me to a racing peak on race day."

I think Bruce is a different type of machine.  Peaking at 200km a week is like over 25km a day.  His first taper is what I would dream of in my worst peak (120km), his second taper is my peak (80km).  To add insult in injury he then does "sharpening" at this time.

For me I think I will peak at 100km a week, and taper to 60km and 40km respectively and sharpen on TT and hills only.....(but then I only run marathons and 50km races and not the big C) :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Some of our guys aren't actually too far from that sort of mileage... the idea remains the same though. 

Me on the other hand, I'm hoping to build up to something like a massive 60/70km week in the next two weeks and then start my epic two week taper 

How often and how many deep tissue massages?

I am not convinced about the camber effect, not in my case in anyways. Due to the times of night that we run, I only run in the middle of the road and that did not help me much.

I went through about 4 in 4 weeks... Even one you can feel a massive release of pressure. My suggestion is.. There's no harm. The guy that did mine was a club rugby player.. and he put everything into it. His description to me is that it should feel like rope Burning against your skin and when you don't feel that rope anymore then he must move up the leg. I was almost in tears at some points

Camber is more for runners knee.. But it's all part of the same system

Edited by Stretch

At the moment I am 40. For most of my life I have been a fan of stretching all the time and swore by it, that I would enforce it when I coached juniors in volleyball. In March last year I visited a sports scientist who offered lynotherapy to treat my ITB issues. I went to her for 6 sessions and now I do my own thing by just following her instructions. She mentioned one thing in particular to me that still boggles my mind. She said 'if you do as I say regarding your homework and pre race prep, you will never have to stretch again'. To date, I still don't stretch, and as some of you know, I recently ran Oceans and I didn't have a single moment in the race where my ITBs were an issue. 

Foam rolling is not about rolling the ITBs, it's about rolling the muscles around it, never go directly on the ITBs. Personally, extreme gradients of camber affect my injury but I also look for the flattest possible sections to run on.

As I start my 2019 Comrades journey, I will do everything possible to prevent injury and I will build mileage slowly to increase my threshold. I firmly believe that I will never be rid of my ITB issues completely but I know that it doesn't have to bother me regardless of the distance that I choose to run.

Stretching is still important in my book.. But post run. Start you run slowly to warm up or do a pre race warm up run.. And then after the run stretch for ten minutes

I'm using the running as a means to burn off some energy when I dont get the time to ride. I can find the time for an hours run vs a 3 or 4 hour cycle. Plus I have always enjoyed the running. Its a great way to burn off weight.

I use the treadmill in the gym for speed work and am currently doing around 30km/week. Its an odd thing though going for speed or distance.. I hit an afternoon run today and stormed in at 4:48/km average for 11,8km which is great. Slow it down to 6:00/km and I could go all day...

Your a dinosaur :P

Maybe you still from the old school of rehab, stop everything, curl up in a ball and hug yourself, suck on your dummy and chant "woe is me" :whistling:

My physio actively encouraged me to continue running 3 times a week 5-8km and to only stop if the pain was acute. Throughout the time whilst I had physio once a week, we would discuss the pain, discomfort on the runs and adjust the running frequency if needed....... in fact I had more pain and almost tears from the massaging she was going... the dry needles were almost pleasant :whistling:

In my experience (my own case of ITB) it was quite simple, running was not possible not even from one lamp post to the next.

So I’m not sure how some people actually run kms with ITB....

Well I could run of course, as long as I pretended to be Jake the pirate with his long wooden leg...

Even a gadzillion physio sessions did not help (yes this was last century physio) who also said you can run only until you feel a sensation. It took me 6 months before I could run a reasonable distance, like 3 km or more without pain. Initially I could only run a few minutes on the treadmill, very slowly but surely I could increase time / distance.

I hate it when real life gets in the way of running.

I’m traveling for the next two weeks, currently in Frankfort and then off to Kazakhstan .

I’ll definitely be well tapered come 10June :-)

Seeing my running mates on Strava sets about FOMO in a bad way

In my experience (my own case of ITB) it was quite simple, running was not possible not even from one lamp post to the next.

Well I could run of course, as long as I pretended to be Jake the pirate with his long wooden leg...

Even a gadzillion physio sessions did not help (yes this was last century physio) who also said you can run only until you feel a sensation. It took me 6 months before I could run a reasonable distance, like 3 km or more without pain. Initially I could only run a few minutes on the treadmill, very slowly but surely I could increase time / distance.

I struggled with itb for 6months. It usually started after 2km, at 4km I couldn't even walk. The next day I couldn't bend my knee. Fisio didn't help much, and it literally disappeared overnight. Almost two years now without any pain, touch wood.

I'm in the very same pirate boat as you...

I very convinced that the fact that I sit on my ass for AT LEAST 8:30 hours a day is my problem.

I struggled with itb for 6months. It usually started after 2km, at 4km I couldn't even walk. The next day I couldn't bend my knee. Fisio didn't help much, and it literally disappeared overnight. Almost two years now without any pain, touch wood.

Also the same boat, except my wife experienced the disappearing act just like you, but I am still awaiting my turn...

I'm in the very same pirate boat as you...

I very convinced that the fact that I sit on my ass for AT LEAST 8:30 hours a day is my problem.

My phone notifies me when I walked 10k during the day. Thats normally around 15h00. Maybe thats why I always get overuse injuries????

My phone notifies me when I walked 10k during the day. Thats normally around 15h00. Maybe thats why I always get overuse injuries

On a normal office day, which includes the morning and evening at home, I make +-2,500 steps if I don't run. 

I hate it when real life gets in the way of running.

I’m traveling for the next two weeks, currently in Frankfort and then off to Kazakhstan .

I’ll definitely be well tapered come 10June :-)

Seeing my running mates on Strava sets about FOMO in a bad way

Tapering makes you susceptable to bogie's.... Airports have plenty... Eat lots of fruit and take lots of those vitamin c tablets from clicks daily. Zinc supplementation also good