ScottCM

I see they are trying to learn and there is only the 50km and 21km, limited to 4000 and 2000 respectively and have cut the 10km and 5km.

So hopefully the getting in and out will be less chaotic at least !!

I hear you, and I was always a big fan of the race... but it wasn't even just that part. Running down the Pelindaba road in the pissing rain between massive trucks also doesn't sit too high on my list of things to do on a Saturday... quite happy to let them sort out their issues next year without this guinea pig  ;)

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also used to be a big fan of the race, but I can’t see myself going back any time soon...

http://maxirace.co.za/

Amazing start to the MaxiRace Cape Winelands! The 100km has over 5000 D+ which makes this run a true test of your climbing ability. #TimetoExplore
Entries open 7th Dec at 8am on maxirace.co.za with our prices stating at R 450 for the 20km up to a amazing R 1950 for the 100km during the month of December!

I understand weather windows for certain events. But what is the point in having 3 ultra trails in the space of 2 months in what is a small market. Add Karkloof and it is now 4 ultras in like 10 weeks.

You can't try win or do well at more than one so your elites(which there are few) now have to decide which event to do.

Western States and Hardrock have the same issue, but neither can really adjust the time of year due to weather, here there is no excuse our climate is runnable all year(Except maybe skyrun that place gets dangerous0 the rest have no excuses), if they were all like 3 months apart they would all have more entrants surely and better competition and thus better coverage and better publicity.

I agree with the previous comments about Om die Dam. They need to sort out the traffic issues on the Pelindaba road. I have never felt so unsafe as I did at ODD this year. There were no marshals on the long stretch of roads... We were running in the middle of the road with cars and trucks on both sides of the runners. It seems like they are addressing the parking issues for next year.

If you have never done an ultra before I won't recommend ODD. Loskop is an excellent ultra, water points are great and there is full road closure. 

I agree with the previous comments about Om die Dam. They need to sort out the traffic issues on the Pelindaba road. 

http://www.omdiedamultra.co.za/route

On the other (down) side of Saartjies Neck the route turns right crossing the N4 toll road and right again before continuing straight onto the R104 past Pelindaba towards Broederstroom where the R104 joins the R512.

The local municipalities and road traffic authorities have undertaken to restrict and close these roads for the 2019 race.
Edited by Pieter-za

I agree with the previous comments about Om die Dam. They need to sort out the traffic issues on the Pelindaba road. I have never felt so unsafe as I did at ODD this year. There were no marshals on the long stretch of roads... We were running in the middle of the road with cars and trucks on both sides of the runners. It seems like they are addressing the parking issues for next year.

If you have never done an ultra before I won't recommend ODD. Loskop is an excellent ultra, water points are great and there is full road closure.

A few weeks after the Om Die Dam is the Arthur Creswell 52km (21km event too) from Bergville to Ladysmith in KZN. Event is generally in the beginning of April and takes place on the Saturday so one can make a weekend out of it and possibly stay somewhere in the Berg or Midlands. Also a good option for those not doing Two Oceans.

Although no road closure the road is generally very quiet in terms of vehicles. Field is small so can spread out a lot so there is the potential for lots of solitary running. Helps to make the mind strong for Comrades etc.

A few weeks after the Om Die Dam is the Arthur Creswell 52km (21km event too) from Bergville to Ladysmith in KZN. Event is generally in the beginning of April and takes place on the Saturday so one can make a weekend out of it and possibly stay somewhere in the Berg or Midlands. Also a good option for those not doing Two Oceans.

Although no road closure the road is generally very quiet in terms of vehicles. Field is small so can spread out a lot so there is the potential for lots of solitary running. Helps to make the mind strong for Comrades etc.

I've done it before was a great run.

Early morning with a busride to the start

I've done it before was a great run.

Early morning with a busride to the start

Nice places to stay nearby too. Well with it... The finish of brutal of the temps get up. Very good prep... But also easy to get a batch up if you put in a bit of effort

Bit of a Noob question. So I've committed to the Mac Mac 100 miler trail run in May next year. Since I am not living close to any trails where we are going to run on, I will only be able to get to run there maybe once a month. Do I just keep on training like I do when I train for a Comrades, or must I change it. Will also be hitting the gym more in January.

Bit of a Noob question. So I've committed to the Mac Mac 100 miler trail run in May next year. Since I am not living close to any trails where we are going to run on, I will only be able to get to run there maybe once a month. Do I just keep on training like I do when I train for a Comrades, or must I change it. Will also be hitting the gym more in January.

Talking my own book here... But I hope it won't matter. I'm aiming for a run in the Drakensberg in April.  I definitely won't get out there even once till the race date.

Yeah, Well I guess if your fit it doesn't really matter. You are going to hurt alot after 120km. Lol

Honestly doubt home town advantage will help anyone there.... run a lot of hills, and then some more, and then some more, think you are in for something like 7500m gain.

Also Good Luck with it, 100 Milers are special