ScottCM

That's the year done for races. Did the Waterford half on Saturday. Was hard work as I have not done much since Amsterdam. Missed the 90 by just over a minute but I was still pleased enough as I was feeling a bit bleh before the run. Good vibe and big crowd...2800 total runners. Not my fastest half.. But was a race pb for me

I'm also done with races for the rest of the year. January included as well.... Our usual babysitters are away on holiday and I need a break anayway. I've logged 2300km for the year up to date which I think is a fair effort. 

I uploaded my Tough One data to SportTracks (I'm old school) on Friday. Although I got a 30sec PB, I'm still a good 5min away from 2:30. Marginal gains. So next year it seems, for my 10th Tough One.

One positve for the year is that I've solved my knee problems by reverting to a lower drop shoe again . I'm still not quite on top of my left calf problem yet and I felt it getting numb and non responsive again during Tough One. So I will see what the New Year holds for me. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting reading:

'Running in highly cushioned shoes increases leg stiffness and amplifies impact loading'

Shoes used in this research:

Studies are not applicable to real world situations. I ran in minimalist shoes for a year, ended up with two stress fractures, ITBs, Hip problems etc. Changed to cushioned shoes, Clifton and Vomero and almost all my regular injuries disappeared.

One positve for the year is that I've solved my knee problems by reverting to a lower drop shoe again . I'm still not quite on top of my left calf problem yet and I felt it getting numb and non responsive again during Tough One. So I will see what the New Year holds for me.

Is your calf issue not related to the shoe drop. Your calves need to adjust to the lower drop by alternating between the new and old shoes for a bit

Is your calf issue not related to the shoe drop. Your calves need to adjust to the lower drop by alternating between the new and old shoes for a bit

I feel as much with a 10mm shoe (Adidas Ultra Boost) as with the Saucony Freedoms.

I injured by back at the end 2015 whille moving house. But instead of going to a doctor to get it sorted, I foolishly thought I could train through it. Ended up with nerve damage in my leg/calf. I couldn't even do heel raises. The "command" from brain just doesn't get to the muscles, as if it is interrupted. Took about 6 months to heal.  Since then it has always felt "tight". It has been better the past 3-4 months though. I try to get on the bicycle more often - it feels like it streches the calf more gently and is not as load-bearing...

Looking for 2 Two Oceans half Marathon substitutions, I know it's early but am getting the message out their early haha

Guest Ratchet road

I feel as much with a 10mm shoe (Adidas Ultra Boost) as with the Saucony Freedoms.

I injured by back at the end 2015 whille moving house. But instead of going to a doctor to get it sorted, I foolishly thought I could train through it. Ended up with nerve damage in my leg/calf. I couldn't even do heel raises. The "command" from brain just doesn't get to the muscles, as if it is interrupted. Took about 6 months to heal.  Since then it has always felt "tight". It has been better the past 3-4 months though. I try to get on the bicycle more often - it feels like it streches the calf more gently and is not as load-bearing...

Ooh

Hi all,

I'm looking to get 2 pairs of Altra's and perhaps a Garmin HRM-Tri from either the US or UK. Is there anyone coming back to Cape Town soon who would be able to assist?

Thanks!

Om Die Dam 50 is open.

(Maybe just check - I was perhaps not concentrating enough so I have an 'Additional Item' charge of R120 on my receipt.  T-Shirt?  Not sure  :oops: )

Om Die Dam 50 is open.

(Maybe just check - I was perhaps not concentrating enough so I have an 'Additional Item' charge of R120 on my receipt. T-Shirt? Not sure :oops: )

Thanks

I'm still on the wall with this one .

Thanks

Seems the org is really trying to improve, check the info on the website :)

(4000 cap)

Edited by Pieter-za

Thanks

Yip, scars are still way to fresh from this years shocker... they've shown an inability to learn from the past, so I'm not holding my breath. Lots of great options out there, don't need to chase the bigger named events just for the sake of it

Yip, scars are still way to fresh from this years shocker... they've shown an inability to learn from the past, so I'm not holding my breath. Lots of great options out there, don't need to chase the bigger named events just for the sake of it

I see they are trying to learn and there is only the 50km and 21km, limited to 4000 and 2000 respectively and have cut the 10km and 5km.

So hopefully the getting in and out will be less chaotic at least !!

I haven't run it yet, and would still like to. But after hearing the gripes from the previous one I'm not sure if its really necessary ...