ScottCM

Well done to all who took part this past weekend!!

Was very inspirational watching you all

Even though the tv coverage left a bit to be desired... really some bad timing of interviews during various cut offs... we are lucky that it is still broadcast and streamed the whole day long

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phew, it took a good day of wallowing before I could face the internet again.

Congrats to all of you that toughed it out all the way to the finish. That race has no mercy. And huge respect to Stu and Janine for that 7:22. A top 30 for Janine on just her second Comrades is unreal. She's made of steel.

I unfortunately blew up as I began descending into Drummond. I'm still not quite sure what happened. I had been absolutely loving the race up to that point. When I ran it in 2017, Botha's Hill is where my spirits felt at their lowest yet this year it flashed by in what felt like a few strides and I had my eyes firmly set on the top of Inchanga, excited to really start running hard. And then, just a short km after cresting Botha's, it all went pear shaped. Fast. My heart rate rocketed, breathing got difficult and then I got dizzy and started vomiting. I ended up in the medic tent and got the meat cart back to St Augustines.

Which leaves me with a lot to dissect. Did I develop an issue? Was it health related? Or did I convince myself that there was something wrong and manufacture the symptoms? Or did I simply quit because it got too tough? Naturally, all those possibilities have been churning through my head. I've finally come to terms with it, though. The doc did pick up some things on the ECG so I'm getting the heart checked out by a cardiologist but, either way, I still need to accept what happened. I guess I had this fear afterwards that this must mean I'm not strong enough for Comrades. But really, that's a stupid fear. Thousands of better, stronger and tougher runners than me have withdrawn from a race. What matters is how I deal with it and move forward.

So, lessons learnt, pride humbled, wings clipped and it's back to the drawing board with a bit more information and a good season of training behind me. Time to have some short distance and trail fun and then think about Comrades again next year.

Jeez Barry, I'm really sorry to hear that,was tracking you and wonder what happened. Your life is way more important than a race. There will always be a next Comrades. Rather Safe than Sorry. Heal up quickly, then you're going to smash the next one.

Phew, it took a good day of wallowing before I could face the internet again.

Congrats to all of you that toughed it out all the way to the finish. That race has no mercy. And huge respect to Stu and Janine for that 7:22. A top 30 for Janine on just her second Comrades is unreal. She's made of steel.

I unfortunately blew up as I began descending into Drummond. I'm still not quite sure what happened. I had been absolutely loving the race up to that point. When I ran it in 2017, Botha's Hill is where my spirits felt at their lowest yet this year it flashed by in what felt like a few strides and I had my eyes firmly set on the top of Inchanga, excited to really start running hard. And then, just a short km after cresting Botha's, it all went pear shaped. Fast. My heart rate rocketed, breathing got difficult and then I got dizzy and started vomiting. I ended up in the medic tent and got the meat cart back to St Augustines.

Which leaves me with a lot to dissect. Did I develop an issue? Was it health related? Or did I convince myself that there was something wrong and manufacture the symptoms? Or did I simply quit because it got too tough? Naturally, all those possibilities have been churning through my head. I've finally come to terms with it, though. The doc did pick up some things on the ECG so I'm getting the heart checked out by a cardiologist but, either way, I still need to accept what happened. I guess I had this fear afterwards that this must mean I'm not strong enough for Comrades. But really, that's a stupid fear. Thousands of better, stronger and tougher runners than me have withdrawn from a race. What matters is how I deal with it and move forward.

So, lessons learnt, pride humbled, wings clipped and it's back to the drawing board with a bit more information and a good season of training behind me. Time to have some short distance and trail fun and then think about Comrades again next year.

Strongs to you Barry, no doubt it's a hard hit to take - but we all know you'll be back next year to kick it's butt  :thumbup:

Barry... Clearly something was not right on the day and I hope it's nothing serious. It has nothing to do with you not being strong enough. Not being strong enough would result in the body gradually telling you no.... Not spectacularly like that. Take time to heal. You made the right decision.. Although it appears the decision was well out of your hands by that point

Barry, I am tending to agree with Stretch. That's not lack of training or anything to that tune. It sounds very similar to something that has happened to me a couple of times in the past, before finding a very simple cure - for my situation.

So maybe just have a check-up and see if there's not a small issue. Or it may simply be something you ate or drank along the way that was off. 

All the best man, I know how it feels to train for a goal race, then only to lay on the side whilst reversing your nutrition.

Some vehicle break-ins around the start area, and at least one vehicle (Polo) stolen.  (There was a queue of people reporting cases at SAPS with some officers apparently more concerned to stop watching YT than to take statements.)

Visible policing / guards would have helped perhaps. 

Edited by Pieter-za

Anybody got some good lower body workout plans for gym?

Decided I'm going to do a session of strengthening one day a week in the gym. That coupled with a weekly pilates class I am hoping is going to make me a bit more bullet proof when it comes to my running injuries...

Barry, that is terrible news!

I caught a massive carrot at 2 Oceans this year and started throwing up and feeling dizzy going through Fish hoek.

I soldiered on and nearly passed out on Rhodes Drive from being unable to hold any fluid down.

If the race had been any longer I would have landed up in the gutter DED.

Rest up, heal up. Get your blood pressure looked at. Mine has been fluctuating and before MacMac 100 miler I was 90-160 during my medical at the start. 10 minutes later I was 83/130, yesterday I was 78/120.

Such a pity to hear that you had such a terrible day out after such great preparation.

Well done to everyone else. It was a very mixed bag for a lot of people I know.

Still absolutely blown away by Gerda!