ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a personal note, as some of you might know, Last year July I got multiple stress fractures in my left shin. I'm please to say that on Saturday i had my longest training run 11.2km since. Besides the marathon part of IMSA in April this has been my longest run in over a year. Even though the leg is still sensitive from time to time it feels amazing to be running again. So to those out there that are battling with injuries and feel despondent, I know how you are feeling. I saw a phrase that I constantly had to say to myself over the past year and that was "THIS TOO SHALL PASS!" Don't give up hope just yet, talk to us and lets get you through the rough times. 

Ag its coming on OK. Planning a couple of races from next month on, and see how it goes. 

Stretch, did you catch this in your Irish news? 

Vegan Ultra-Runner Runs Equivalent Of Mount Everest In 24 Hours Humble Sean Clifford described the achievement as 'very much a team effort with wonderful people helping me out'

vegan ultra-runner set a new Irish record last week, after his epic run 10 times up the country's highest mountain.

Sean Clifford, from Co.Kerry in Ireland, reached heights of 10,000m, equivalent to the height of Mount Everest, in just 23 hours and 53 minutes.

Going vegan

Clifford went vegan six years ago, after he realized he wasn't doing enough for his health. "I realized the benefits of veganism after some research and personally felt transitioning to veganism wasn't difficult," he said.

He was motivated to run up the 'Reek's District' in Kerry for the challenge and also to raise some money for a local Alzheimer's charity.

During his epic run, he was joined by cameras who documented his entire experience, in a bid to 'raise awareness on how to get the best out of your diet and lifestyle'.

Clifford believes he has had a positive impact on those around him by spreading veganism, however, he also says 'it is harder to change people's diet than their religion'.

5d2c9df331fed838686b3b05_sean.jpg
The athletes hopes others will be inspired to try a plant-based diet (Photo: Valerie O’Sullivan) Inspiration

Clifford hopes his accomplishment may encourage people to be open to a plant-based diet by showing them how well vegan athletes can perform.

His record has garnered lots of attention over the last few days but he said: "I'm not into any of this hero stuff to be honest, as it was very much a team effort with wonderful people helping me out."

As well as being dedicated to veganism for ethical reasons, Clifford believes a plant-based diet is key to optimal performance and health.

So how is everyone's winter training coming along?

I see our strava club has grown to 97 peeps, well done all :clap: :clap: :clap:

For those silent member who don't like to post but do read this thread, here is the link if you haven't joined as yet

https://www.strava.com/clubs/bikehubsa

You can’t use the term everyones winter training anymore..... we are like international now (Cape Town accent)

Ag its coming on OK. Planning a couple of races from next month on, and see how it goes.

Ah ja it’s ok....

lol I get tired and sore just looking at your strava

Stretch, did you catch this in your Irish news?

Vegan Ultra-Runner Runs Equivalent Of Mount Everest In 24 Hours Humble Sean Clifford described the achievement as 'very much a team effort with wonderful people helping me out'

There a mean feat... It's not an easy "run". The easiest route involves a long section of Boulder scrambling at quite a gradient. The other routes are hairy and I wouldn't want to do then when tired. Here's the scramble

fb50b0ee5290d907d4794dff20b9e1e7.jpg

I see our strava club has grown to 97 peeps, well done all  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

For those silent member who don't like to post but do read this thread, here is the link if you haven't joined as yet

For the non-strava peeps (yes there are some, or maybe just one) I'll lurk in here every now and then too.  :ph34r:  Just to see what I should be doing...

I see our strava club has grown to 97 peeps, well done all  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

W1d1 of my IM70.3 training plan... Don't have aspirations (yet) to do an IM70.3, but I do need to train for both land-based disciplines - if I want to be able to run and ride well.

I set myself a goal to run a 21.1Km in sub-100 minutes. That's 19 minutes to shave off in 6 months, and to also have a good 947 (Two 2:47's in 2017 and 2018 is below good, for me). If I miss the sub-100 minute but still run a PB, then that's also good enough for now.

I'm going to be focused on riding for the next few months (have TransBav in a month and a bigger goal later in the year), but have started doing a bit of cross training as such... class called the Grid at Virgin. Done two so far, enjoying them and can tell they're hurting me in places I haven't worked on in ages - hopefully will weigh up to me being a stronger more balanced athlete and all round runner when I start heading back out on the road...

Back's still a bit of an issue, but heading in the right direction slowly

I am also on week 2 of my Asics training programme. 

It is very tough and I am still getting into it.

The nausea is now manageable with the Nexium I am using.

This is the first time I am training according to a programme and I am really enjoying it. It is much more structured and completely out of my comfort zone. I can feel a difference already.
Feeling very motivated at the moment to keep going. 108 days to Kaapse Hoop...

Currently upping the mileage slowly but surely :thumbup:

I entered for Vaal City on the 1st of Sep (just doing the 21m), and this will be only my second Half marathon. 1st one I did my time was 2h33. For Vaal I want to crack a sub 2h30/2h20

Any tips for a newbie?

Currently upping the mileage slowly but surely :thumbup:

I entered for Vaal City on the 1st of Sep (just doing the 21m), and this will be only my second Half marathon. 1st one I did my time was 2h33. For Vaal I want to crack a sub 2h30/2h20

Any tips for a newbie?

Maybe have a look at Frostys plan up to his first 21km... was pretty rock solid and if you follow it through it should put you in a position to definitely hit sub 2:20