ScottCM

attachicon.gif76430EDC-259B-4B6D-B832-83A4C552DFE8-7465-000007D2BD61B462.jpg

"The runner is a friend of a friend of mine. He has 'Stretch', his nickname, written on his number." [emoji2]

Hubbers are everywhere these days, even getting mentions in top selling books[emoji41] (Pg 147 The Rise of the Ultra Runners). Good story of Comrades in the book.

He is a friend of my wife's cousin. him and I criscrossed and ran parts of comrades 2017 together. He came down to experience the event then and wrote a report for the guardian.

You gonna have to take a photo and post it.. And I'm gonna have to get a copy of the book now!..

Edited by Stretch

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He is a friend of my wife's cousin. him and I criscrossed and ran parts of comrades 2017 together. He came down to experience the event then and wrote a report for the guardian.

You gonna have to take a photo and post it.. And I'm gonna have to get a copy of the book now!..

post-8961-0-32614700-1562920568_thumb.jpg

Ha ha that's awesome... Summarises comrades in a nutshell. I made that bill with 15min to spare and he snuck in just under 8-30 I think

We actually finished together in 2017 ha ha.

Cool photobomb btw.

post-32956-0-61056400-1562924424_thumb.jpg

He still needs 7min to be world class competitive, Saucony will have to do some more research.

Kipchoge will still be a 2h02 runner in any pair of shoes.

No Chance , Kipchoge wouldn't go sub 2h08 in a pair of Asics Nimbus or Cumulus.... Id probably even bet my house he wouldn't go sub2h10.

You have no idea how much difference a pair of racing shoes make at that speed. And Vaporfly 4% are another step ahead of that. And now we have the next%... Records don't always fall by better athletes but more often better equipment.

Don't get me wrong, Kipchoge is still the GOAT...

No Chance , Kipchoge wouldn't go sub 2h08 in a pair of Asics Nimbus or Cumulus.... Id probably even bet my house he wouldn't go sub2h10.

You have no idea how much difference a pair of racing shoes make at that speed. And Vaporfly 4% are another step ahead of that. And now we have the next%... Records don't always fall by better athletes but more often better equipment.

I think GOAT is an understatement. What I don't get is how marathon runners are under valued in terms of their achievements. Google greatest athletes of all time and the likes of Carl Lewis and Bo Jackson will show up but he won't even be mentioned in the top 20. No disrespect to Carl Lewis but he isn't even worthy to carry Kipchoges kit bag.

I didn't think sub 2 was remotely possible in the next while.. But after watching him in Berlin last year and with crowds lining the course in Vienna I think it's a strong possibility

Edited by Stretch

Im actually refering to shoes used by other elite runners. Like the Sauconys in the article.

I ran a 17min marathon PB the first time I used Vaporflys. The shoes definitely matter.

Im actually refering to shoes used by other elite runners. Like the Sauconys in the article.

I ran a 17min marathon PB the first time I used Vaporflys. The shoes definitely matter.

Fair enough, I just saw he would run 2h02 in "any pair of shoes"

And I still think it must be so tough for other sponsored athletes who have to wear Adidas sub2s or any other racer.. you start the race at a disadvantage...

Suppose that's why the Adidas sponsored guy at Dubai Marathon (finished 2nd) painted Vaporflys black to try and get away with it.. Strangely enough now I'm trying to find a link most have disappeared off youtube…

No Chance , Kipchoge wouldn't go sub 2h08 in a pair of Asics Nimbus or Cumulus.... Id probably even bet my house he wouldn't go sub2h10.You have no idea how much difference a pair of racing shoes make at that speed. And Vaporfly 4% are another step ahead of that. And now we have the next%... Records don't always fall by better athletes but more often better equipment.Don't get me wrong, Kipchoge is still the GOAT...

I certainly agree the shoes can make a difference for most. At the level of Kipchoge and the few capable of running sub 2h05 marathons, (there have been 9 in 2019 thus far), a sub 2h10 could perhaps be achieved in something like the Nimbus?? It'd be an interesting test that is for sure.

In the build up to the 2017 Berlin Marathon, Kipchoge and his group were running "hard long tempo" 40ks in 2h13, and 40ks on a hard xc course in 2h15. This all at altitude during weeks of big mileage. Class.

Fair enough, I just saw he would run 2h02 in "any pair of shoes"And I still think it must be so tough for other sponsored athletes who have to wear Adidas sub2s or any other racer.. you start the race at a disadvantage...Suppose that's why the Adidas sponsored guy at Dubai Marathon (finished 2nd) painted Vaporflys black to try and get away with it.. Strangely enough now I'm trying to find a link most have disappeared off youtube…

Couldn't find the pic of the adidas athlete. Here's one of a New balance athlete trying to play tricks

post-8961-0-43769600-1562965635_thumb.jpg

Couldn't find the pic of the adidas athlete. Here's one of a New balance athlete trying to play tricks

attachicon.gifIMG_0440.JPG

:eek:

There's no way to hide how all the new nike shoes narrow to a point at the rear of the sole. 

If anyone has a GPS running watch you are not using that you'd consider selling please give me a shout. Even if you have an old stopwatch that you no longer use that would also work. I am on the look out for one or two watches for some runners who are unable to buy their own.