ScottCM

That's Asics for you...I get pretty decent mileage with them.. But once beyond 800km I won't use them for long runs. 15km and less. That's my shoes at the moment

d941cd5833f961b3efd334ff234d4c4f.jpg

Most I’ve run is a half marathon, with most of my runs 5 or 10Km. Highest mileage on a pair is 1105Km and they still feel good.

ASICS - trail running

NB v7 - in use since Dec 2018 (when the big bit)

NB v9 - my current pair I got in March 2019

The other shoes listed were used for my 365 day challenge.

ba6646ce126088c7103f079a80c6d9dd.jpg

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody here run with Brooks Cascadia's?     They seem to catch my eye more and more of late.

Chances are that the month of fasting would probably be 25 April to 24 May, meaning that I will have 3 weeks of taper(I would be doing a few HMs in the 1st half). Would it be ok to do my last long run of about 65-70km before I start fasting? I will be training throughout the fast as well so that I don't lose too much of my fitness, and I am hoping to do a back-to-back marathon over one of the weekends. Not sure how to approach this other than 'don't stop training'. Any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated.

For Comrades? If so I think a 65-70k long run is excessive and unnecessary. A 50-60k (tops) long run is sufficient for Comrades. Unless you're gunning for a solid silver then a longer run perhaps.

Anybody here run with Brooks Cascadia's? They seem to catch my eye more and more of late.

Just bought a pair. My first pair of trail shoes... Currently 0kms on them but heading to cape Town this weekend and planning on hitting some trails. Will let you know how they do

It doesn't matter what your goal is, unless you are JW, Bongamusa or a Hamlett trained athlete you don't need to do that kind of distance. 

It will do more damage than good. Keep it reasonable, push yourself for sure. But you need to able to train pain free the next day. 

I 100% agree that going 60km on the last long run is overkill for most- however.

There are 2 parts to fitness, physical and mental.

On the mental one there are 2 schools of thought I have heard:

1: Heard from a top Swede- you only have so much tolerance for pain so don't waste it on training these ultra long distances.

2: The more you hurt in the longer runs the more comfortable you become in the hurt locker- until you kinda start enjoying it in a sick and twisted way. Some have never hurt for 8 hours at comrades and knowing that they can hurt for 6 hours fine they are better mentally ready on race day.

Now once you have pushed through a longer period of suffering then you laugh at shorter periods and with something like a comrades. If you have done it before or run longer, you know you can be fit for 30-40km and just push through the rest comfortably. But if you are not used to it, there is the big unknown factor which I think then merrits a 60km run.

I was never going for a comrades silver.. But the longest run I every did was the Easter ultra.... 2 oceans or bergville. I then normally did a marathon a couple of weeks after that.. First week of May

For Comrades? If so I think a 65-70k long run is excessive and unnecessary. A 50-60k (tops) long run is sufficient for Comrades. Unless you're gunning for a solid silver then a longer run perhaps.

Yes, for Comrades. I will only know on the day if I can push for silver but the idea is to spend less than 9 hours on the road.

Thanks for your input.

I read the article and it makes more sense to run for time as opposed to distance. I will change my training plans to become more about the time and whatever distance is covered won't really matter too much. I just completed Johnson Crane as a 5 hour training run, so I guess I've already started the new approach unknowingly.

Thanks for the input everyone.

and legal... Alphafly Next%

1 plate, 39.5mm

A few years ago running in minimalistic shoes / barefoot type things was the rage..... has the wheel turned 180 degrees?

A few years ago running in minimalistic shoes / barefoot type things was the rage..... has the wheel turned 180 degrees?

Never doubt the power of Nike to steer the trend