ScottCM

Strava has already given up  few American military bases-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases

So part of my job is gathering and collecting geographic data and figuring how it can be used. Gathering and collecting is a little bit of a dodgey art and well we often get away with a lot by analyzing patterns not targeting individuals etc. Scraping is very much on the edge of legality and needs to be done with caution, but other methods of harvesting are a little more complex in nature, but often making the data anonymous is enough. There can be instances where targeting an individual is needed, for example tracking a corona interaction. Phones can be tracked down to a certain accuracy without the phone gps on or even the phone being used, the tech is here and being used. 

But for me it is a nice side challenge to build a new product to take to market, if I can track exactly where exercises and rides are taking place with certain brands(little bit of digging and scraping in the Strava API) I can map it all and run some clever analytics to figure out a market penetration and then help define a geographical target area for marketing for major shoe and bike brands. 

We do similar things with insta and twitter streams fairly well... Was interesting mapping #feesmustfall tweets and over such affairs.

I enjoy strava, great way to check team mates are training, my default setting is private, the only people who need to know my training now are myself and my coach, and training peaks has that covered.

Remember gentlemen. When something is free, chances are- you are the product...

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My strava has also been on private for about 2 yrs, only times i will make an activity available for everyone to see is usually if it is a race, or Saturday club rides. These are usually far away from my residence and are only for the social interaction with club members/mates.... and of my choosing if i wish.

Did the Ironman VR1 race/challenge over the weekend and all from the confines of my house. A 21km run is mentally tiring when running small loops. Glad i did it though!

Do it Stretch and Hacc. It isn't that bad. Ha ha

I actually also listened to the whole Neil Diamond's Hot August Night album lol

Any playlist suggestions?

Any playlist suggestions?

Nah, just listen to anything. Help the laps go by quicker. :thumbup:

I see Bennie Roux got out-Bennie-Roux'd on the weekend.

Bennie ran 'comrades' on his driveway - well within cut-off time too! (despite the obvious challenges) I think that was Sat...

Then some dude ran 100km in the Cape... 

Strava has already given up few American military bases-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases

So part of my job is gathering and collecting geographic data and figuring how it can be used. Gathering and collecting is a little bit of a dodgey art and well we often get away with a lot by analyzing patterns not targeting individuals etc. Scraping is very much on the edge of legality and needs to be done with caution, but other methods of harvesting are a little more complex in nature, but often making the data anonymous is enough. There can be instances where targeting an individual is needed, for example tracking a corona interaction. Phones can be tracked down to a certain accuracy without the phone gps on or even the phone being used, the tech is here and being used.

But for me it is a nice side challenge to build a new product to take to market, if I can track exactly where exercises and rides are taking place with certain brands(little bit of digging and scraping in the Strava API) I can map it all and run some clever analytics to figure out a market penetration and then help define a geographical target area for marketing for major shoe and bike brands.

We do similar things with insta and twitter streams fairly well... Was interesting mapping #feesmustfall tweets and over such affairs.

I enjoy strava, great way to check team mates are training, my default setting is private, the only people who need to know my training now are myself and my coach, and training peaks has that covered.

Remember gentlemen. When something is free, chances are- you are the product...

What are the risks for those using Strava primarily to record activities from different devices ... BUT with the account set to private ?

Or is this a 30 second hindrance to those that want the data ?

Is it any different to your tracking your movements ....

Ironman 70.3 Durban just been postponed which was on 7 june... not looking good for comerades i guess

Edited by shaper

What are the risks for those using Strava primarily to record activities from different devices ... BUT with the account set to private ?

No difference to recording your workout. Setting to private means that only you can see the recorded result and no one else. You can if you want change the setting on a specfic workout to everyone can see Edited by shaper

No difference to recording your workout. Setting to private means that only you can see the recorded result and no one else. You can if you want change the setting on a specfic workout to everyone can see

I think he is asking Dave (read his post above) whether 'Private' is worth it's weight in paper or whether that data is still available if you know where/how to look.

Strava is social media... Training peaks or GoldenCheetah etc give you better data tracking, fatigue/peaking stats, goals etc but don't have the social media aspect for the back pats.

I'm also interested to know...

I see Bennie Roux got out-Bennie-Roux'd on the weekend.

Bennie ran 'comrades' on his driveway - well within cut-off time too! (despite the obvious challenges) I think that was Sat...

Then some dude ran 100km in the Cape... 

Nice to see he raised some money for CHOC

Ironman 70.3 Durban just been postponed which was on 7 june... not looking good for comerades i guess

Even if a miracle happens and Comrades is still happening I wont risk getting infected by joining 18 000 - 20 000 people in 2 months time. I have made my peace that this year is a write off. 

Private settings are pretty solid, even in the API side private is private, public is a free for all.

Also Bennie and the dude in the cape are amateurs in the game of I am dumb enough to run laps in the garden for one-upmanship...

post-57821-0-41523800-1586235680_thumb.jpg

Edited by dave303e