Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

BikeHub scammer alert function works well. Just got a prompt on a suspicious number, linked to a user who showed interest in my ad. But wanted to communicate away from the platform.

Very quick response and notification. Credit to the UX interfacing and testing team.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AkwA said:

Ah ok, was wondering, thought it was mainly to make it easier to leave reviews, but that makes more sense.

Yup, pretty easy to just make another fake email.

Have you guys ever considered requiring people to verify phone numbers? Could make it more difficult for new accounts?

Phone number verification is on the list. Although for most of these guys it seems phone numbers are almost as disposable as emails, it is another hurdle and a far more onerous one than creating another email. 

With anything like this there's also always a balance to strike in preventing misuse while not making the processes too cumbersome and restrictive for the 99% legitimate users.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Phone number verification is on the list. Although for most of these guys it seems phone numbers are almost as disposable as emails, it is another hurdle and a far more onerous one than creating another email. 

With anything like this there's also always a balance to strike in preventing misuse while not making the processes too cumbersome and restrictive for the 99% legitimate users.

Hey Matt, I was just wondering, is it a relatively new thing for these scammers to target wanted ads only?

I have received several responses to my wanted ads - always through an outside platform like whatsapp, but I have posted quite a few for sale ads and never received a response I beleive was a scam. This seems kinda weird to me for some reason

Also I am conscious of the fact that these scammers lurk among us, because to view a number on an ad you need a bikehub profile. 

I wonder whether completely removing my number from my ads may be an effective way to deter scammers because we have to talk through bikehub and therefore the chat can be more closely monitored and we can pickup who is a scammer more quickly.

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

On 5/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, Rudii said:

Anybody familiar with a user called Wellings (apparently from Malawi)? He's trying to by a derailleur from me but there's a lot of back and forth from his side on trying to get his "handler/transporter" to collect the item from me and "ways" to make payment to me. Gave him the option of cash or eft after which he came back suggesting payment via Mukuru (?) Something doesn't feel right.

Ive been selling to some guys in Africa, i wouldn't stress too much. i dont mind payment method, as long as the money is cleared in my account  he can pick up with a UFO for all i care. Make sure you received your money and thatvhe understands it so. I tell customers nothing leaves my premises unless money is in my account and cleared. Cant he use Bikehub payment method?

10 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Hey Matt, I was just wondering, is it a relatively new thing for these scammers to target wanted ads only?

I have received several responses to my wanted ads - always through an outside platform like whatsapp, but I have posted quite a few for sale ads and never received a response I beleive was a scam. This seems kinda weird to me for some reason

Also I am conscious of the fact that these scammers lurk among us, because to view a number on an ad you need a bikehub profile. 

I wonder whether completely removing my number from my ads may be an effective way to deter scammers because we have to talk through bikehub and therefore the chat can be more closely monitored and we can pickup who is a scammer more quickly.

Targeting wanted ads isn't a new tactic, but does seem to be the most prevalent approach we see attempted on Bike Hub.

Removing your number on wanted ads will help to some degree, but we've seen in the past that it won't stop these guys trying via Chat, but will quickly push you to Whatsapp or even a call.

However restricting contact to Bike Hub (at least first) would allow you to vet their profile.

A new user responding to your wanted ad should be an immediate red flag.

17 hours ago, Shebeen said:

another obvious red flag here is not being able to spell Cervelo, even though he had to google it to find the stock photo.

How about him spelling his own (fake) name correctly.
vlock ? 
Adriaan would be horrified !

On 8/24/2022 at 5:05 AM, Pieter the Batman said:

Ive been selling to some guys in Africa, i wouldn't stress too much. i dont mind payment method, as long as the money is cleared in my account  he can pick up with a UFO for all i care. Make sure you received your money and thatvhe understands it so. I tell customers nothing leaves my premises unless money is in my account and cleared. Cant he use Bikehub payment method?

It's not really the fact that the guys was in another African county that triggered my suspicions, it was the plentiful paying methods he had. After my 'cash or EFT only' response to him, he stopped responding - another sign that this was a chancer. It was a low value item, so he could've asked his 'friend' to hand me the money (which was another one of his ways of paying).

Any case, the item was sold to a fellow-hubber who had no issues with paying via cash or EFT.

I'm pretty sure 99.999% of bikehub deals go to someone in africa. 

On 8/25/2022 at 10:12 AM, Shebeen said:

I'm pretty sure 99.999% of bikehub deals go to someone in africa. 

Very funny!! Lol

Edited by Pieter the Batman
Delete

UFO collection kiled me 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a Facebook Marketplace scam?

Almost got scammed today selling a soundbar on Facebook when a gentleman, Desmond Ngwabeni, DMs me and then we converse on Whatsapp. He says we can meet today - he will take the soundbar. The arrangement changes a bit and I end up meeting with his "cousin", but was told he will do an instant EFT.

Meet with his "cousin", he then does the "transfer" but no money is reflecting in my bank account. He then sends proof of the transfer via Whatsapp and offers to send a photo of his ID and his address. I go get pepper spray out of the car (next to our deal location) and keep it in my pocket. Bunch of calls back and forth where he wants me to hand over the speaker but I refuse unless the funds reflect. His "cousin" ends up leaving without the speaker in a white Hyundai (Uber type sedan) - registration number CAA 253 565. Their cell numbers are: 060 823 6345 and 079 356 7060 ("cousin"). The main guy goes by Desmond Ngwabeni the accomplice goes by Kai Matshaya

I reported the incident to SAPS and reported and blocked them on Facebook and Truecaller. Would probably help if other people report them on Truecaller as well. Because I think they do at least 2-3 of these types of scams a day.

Edited by M L

1 hour ago, M L said:

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a Facebook Marketplace scam?

Almost got scammed today selling a soundbar on Facebook when a gentleman, Desmond Ngwabeni, DMs me and then we converse on Whatsapp. He says we can meet today - he will take the soundbar. The arrangement changes a bit and I end up meeting with his "cousin", but was told he will do an instant EFT.

Meet with his "cousin", he then does the "transfer" but no money is reflecting in my bank account. He then sends proof of the transfer via Whatsapp and offers to send a photo of his ID and his address. I go get pepper spray out of the car (next to our deal location) and keep it in my pocket. Bunch of calls back and forth where he wants me to hand over the speaker but I refuse unless the funds reflect. His "cousin" ends up leaving without the speaker in a white Hyundai (Uber type sedan) - registration number CA 253 565. Their cell numbers are: 060 823 6345 and 079 356 7060 ("cousin"). The main guy goes by Desmond Ngwabeni the accomplice goes by Kai Matshaya

I reported the incident to SAPS and reported and blocked them on Facebook and Truecaller. Would probably help if other people report them on Truecaller as well. Because I think they do at least 2-3 of these types of scams a day.

Well done

9 minutes ago, Alec England said:

Hay guys, look out for this number +27 (60) 548-1438 sent forged otps and messages !

Hi Alec

We're looking into it. Have you advertised your bike elsewhere?