Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

That has all the flags for a likely scam:

- A "driver" will collect
- Using an obscure payment mechanism

Avoid!!

Was this via Bike Hub?

Initial contact was via Whatsapp. I then got suspicious and asked for him to send me a message via the Hub to check his profile.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Rudii said:

Anybody familiar with a user called Wellings (apparently from Malawi)? He's trying to by a derailleur from me but there's a lot of back and forth from his side on trying to get his "handler/transporter" to collect the item from me and "ways" to make payment to me. Gave him the option of cash or eft after which he came back suggesting payment via Mukuru (?) Something doesn't feel right.

Had the same. He stopped contacting me when I insisted on COD or a cleared EFT before I let the item get collected.  

On 4/1/2021 at 6:25 AM, Choppie said:

Any feedback on the deal? Was this legit or not?

It's 2022.

Not that everyone doesn't know this, but:

Whoever doesn't see doesn't buy.  

Any oil rig, offshore, NASA, Submarine, stuck on cruise ship with covid is a SCAM. 

No handing over/releasing of ANYTHING without the money having CLEARED in your account. CLEARED means you can transfer it on. 

NO MEETINGS at your home, only LBS, or Shopping Centre. 

I feel for everyone who has lost but le'ts be vigilant, some of the scammers are real chance takers. Not real. 

Take care. 

13 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

It's 2022.

Not that everyone doesn't know this, but:

Whoever doesn't see doesn't buy.  

Any oil rig, offshore, NASA, Submarine, stuck on cruise ship with covid is a SCAM. 

No handing over/releasing of ANYTHING without the money having CLEARED in your account. CLEARED means you can transfer it on. 

NO MEETINGS at your home, only LBS, or Shopping Centre. 

I feel for everyone who has lost but le'ts be vigilant, some of the scammers are real chance takers. Not real. 

Take care. 

Couldn't agree more.

I have a friend who was held in a flashy Sandton apartment, he sells new/used Apple products.
They rented the apartment for a day, he was lured there, welcomed by a nice lady so you are already thinking it is well-to-do folk. 2 guys then came out of a room and accosted him, they held him hostage for a few hours, they also took all of his product which was in his car.
Thankfully they let him go 2 or 3 hours later.
He went to the police but ended up being "burner" phones/sims, AirBnB apartment rented under false identities, etc. Police said it is a fairly common occurrence

It is scary out there, be safe.
You life is worth more than a used bike or bike parts......

26 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Couldn't agree more.

I have a friend who was held in a flashy Sandton apartment, he sells new/used Apple products.
They rented the apartment for a day, he was lured there, welcomed by a nice lady so you are already thinking it is well-to-do folk. 2 guys then came out of a room and accosted him, they held him hostage for a few hours, they also took all of his product which was in his car.
He went to the police but ended up being "burner" phones/sims, AirBnB apartment rented under false identities, etc. Police said it is a fairly common occurrence

Geez!!! 

20 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Had the same. He stopped contacting me when I insisted on COD or a cleared EFT before I let the item get collected.  

Yeah, he seems to have done the same now. There were to many red flags on this deal, thank you Bike Hub community.

NOT bike related.

Just got the "I will pay, and have my courier collect" routine ....

Apparently payment have been made ....

My reply "I will send collection address as soon as the transfer clears"

Any side bets on how this will play out .... 

EDIT -

11:00 I get thee call .... "Latest my courier can pick it up is at 15:00"

Me :  "Correction.  Earliest your courier can pick it up is when the money clears in my account"

A moment of silence ..... he then made an immediate transfer.  Money cleared, and moved out of that account.  Goods picked up before 15:00.

Going to be interesting to see if the "first payment" actually ever comes through .....

Edited by ChrisF

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

NOT bike related.

Just got the "I will pay, and have my courier collect" routine ....

Apparently payment have been made ....

My reply "I will send collection address as soon as the transfer clears"

Any side bets on how this will play out .... 

You can have a little fun with these guys. I usually send them to an address just up the road from me and watch as they wait around aimlessly, eventually giving up after plenty time wasted 

On 5/27/2022 at 3:07 PM, Dyl-123 said:

Erm, glad to see they like what i'm selling.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 3.05.06 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-27 at 3.05.05 PM.jpeg

My number 1 red flag is the profile age. 

Second, if they say no to BikeHub Pay. Until you've used the service, you don't know the peace of mind it brings. 

On 5/19/2022 at 7:57 AM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

Couldn't agree more.

Perhaps he remembers the address. He can go on AirBNB perhaps and report the property, I dunno. 

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

Perhaps he remembers the address. He can go on AirBNB perhaps and report the property, I dunno. 

Happened a few months ago. I know the police investigation came to nothing.
AirBnB has no control over who their "tenants" are, more so when false identification is used.

• 4 weeks later...

A guy just tried me, all the usual red flags:

Replying to my wanted ad but via whatsapp

Whatsapp shows as a business account

Starts making massive reductions when I asked if the price is neg

Says will send a wheelset for R99 via postnet and does it all the time(well I know an idiot that made the same claim but that's a different story)

Then when I ask for close up pics of one part he suddenly says his phone can't take nice pics.

He claimed his name is Ryno but Trucaller shows his name as Pj Osmerg.
Number 0719347847 / 071 934 7847 and I don't know his Bikehub handle because he claimed a friend sent him my number but he knew my wanted ad was on Bikehub.

3 minutes ago, Skylark said:

A guy just tried me, all the usual red flags:

Replying to my wanted ad but via whatsapp

Whatsapp shows as a business account

Starts making massive reductions when I asked if the price is neg

Says will send a wheelset for R99 via postnet and does it all the time(well I know an idiot that made the same claim but that's a different story)

Then when I ask for close up pics of one part he suddenly says his phone can't take nice pics.

He claimed his name is Ryno but Trucaller shows his name as Pj Osmerg.
Number 0719347847 / 071 934 7847 and I don't know his Bikehub handle because he claimed a friend sent him my number but he knew my wanted ad was on Bikehub.

For sure a scammer, ignore.