Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

Just got the same message from wynnelorenanne101@gmail.com - seems like whoever this is is combing the classifieds looking for a victim.

Stay vigilant out there people!

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve had so many of these with bike and other ads that I don’t even get upset anymore. I just ignore anyone who messages me and asks to be contacted on G-mail. Really if you message from your phone why can’t you communicate by phone? Just ignore and block the number end of story.

Edited by Barry_W

• 4 weeks later...

How can I do a safe transaction from a guy in kimberley?

He advertised a kickr on gumtree and olx. No hub account and no social media account I can look at. He is willing to give a ID copy but I dont trust that as enough. He also dont use a bikeshop in kimberley and uses the word sir in his whatsapp messages to me. Maybe I already have enough red light here or do someone know him? He said he actually wanted to sell to someone in northern cape who can come look and pay.

Pershouse shaun on olx and gumtree.

He advertised a kickr on gumtree and olx. No hub account and no social media account I can look at. He is willing to give a ID copy but I dont trust that as enough. He also dont use a bikeshop in kimberley and uses the word sir in his whatsapp messages to me. Maybe I already have enough red light here or do someone know him? He said he actually wanted to sell to someone in northern cape who can come look and pay.

If in any doubt, step away. There will be lots of other Kickrs. Summer is coming!

Scam for sure. The ID thing and the sir part are dead giveaways in my experience.

Okay. I asked him if he would be able to get the trainer to a local bikeshop but he cant do that either. Not buying from him for sure!

If you use a kicker and the software going withf it and upgraded to a newer version you have to have social media accounts and a profile pic on whatsapp. ???? how else can you show your impressive numbers for the world to see.

Am I allowed to post a screenshot of his whatsapp profile on here?

Edited by Stevovo

Yeah, no way in flipping hell.

Dick around with him and say you have a mate in Kimberley who can collect it with cash.

Or even better: say it's for your nephew who works on an oil rig, who will send a representative to collect. Send random stock image ID and a bank POP done in MS paint.

Am I allowed to post a screenshot of his whatsapp profile on here?

Rather post the phone number here in plain text. That way people using a search engine will find it easier.

Also report it to OLX. Their report button is below the map on the advert page.

Further digging:

Here's the advert: https://www.olx.co.za/item/wahoo-kickr-power-trainer-iid-1060381103

He/she has taken the photos and description from an advert listed on Gumtree in Australia five days ago.

I am in Kimberley, do a safe transaction with me!

Rather post the phone number here in plain text. That way people using a search engine will find it easier.

Also report it to OLX. Their report button is below the map on the advert page.

Further digging:

Here's the advert: https://www.olx.co.za/item/wahoo-kickr-power-trainer-iid-1060381103

He/she has taken the photos and description from an advert listed on Gumtree in Australia five days ago.

???????????? F'er! His number is 083 596 3457 named as Shaun.

This is the first time I went onto gumtree and olx looking for a trainer and then I find the buggers. Cant even remember how many things I bought through bikehub and not 1 problem in any of the deals.

I normally make sure before I buy and Im glad I asked on here before I did anything else. Would in any case not have payed before I was sure... but jinne. I see why many get caught.

Thank you Nick.

Edited by Stevovo

I am in Kimberley, do a safe transaction with me!

Whats your banking details sir? Let me quickly do the eft????

It was another option to ask a hubber to go check the trainer for me. But no need as the guy gave himself away before I got to ask.

Whats your banking details sir? Let me quickly do the eft

It was another option to ask a hubber to go check the trainer for me. But no need as the guy gave himself away before I got to ask.

I have a Jamaican bank account, will that work for you?

:thumbup:

Potential scammer : "Jaco.R", +27781108877. Funny enough my name and same letter that my surname starts with. Anyway, responded to my wanted ad for a bb and the screenshot will show you how the interaction went. I think its safe to say it wasnt sent. Weird one.

post-113597-0-09980300-1568722260_thumb.jpg

post-113597-0-81889900-1568722272_thumb.jpg

Potential scammer : "Jaco.R", +27781108877. Funny enough my name and same letter that my surname starts with. Anyway, responded to my wanted ad for a bb and the screenshot will show you how the interaction went. I think its safe to say it wasnt sent. Weird one.

I'd suggest removing your phone number from the description of the advert so that only Bike Hub registered users can access it. Yes, it's a small deterrent but it helps.