Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

So I was scammed by Ben van Staaten number 078 888 5117.  I advertised looking for a extra battery for a Garmin 1030. He messaged me to say he had one for R300. The price did sound suspicious but I figured I am either going to score a good deal or I am going to be scammed.

Paid the money over via Nedbank iMali (cell phone based) and received an email from BikeHub last night advising that he is a scam artist.

Fortunately I said I had my own courier so I didn't pay him for the postage. School fees I guess.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was scammed by Ben van Staaten number 078 888 5117. I advertised looking for a extra battery for a Garmin 1030. He messaged me to say he had one for R300. The price did sound suspicious but I figured I am either going to score a good deal or I am going to be scammed.

Paid the money over via Nedbank iMali (cell phone based) and received an email from BikeHub last night advising that he is a scam artist.

Fortunately I said I had my own courier so I didn't pay him for the postage. School fees I guess.

Sad news :(

A foolproof litmus test...any seller that requests some form of cash send, ie not an EFT = a guaranteed scammer.

I have probably bought hundreds of goodies sight unseen online over the years from various forum classifieds and not once have I ever paid in any manner other than EFT. Nor has any other payment method ever been requested.

Not that paying by EFT is proof a seller is fully legit but the point is these days any other method is virtually guaranteed to be a scammer.

Edited by Skylark

• 3 weeks later...

F'er! His number is 083 596 3457 named as Shaun.

This is the first time I went onto gumtree and olx looking for a trainer and then I find the buggers. Cant even remember how many things I bought through bikehub and not 1 problem in any of the deals.

I normally make sure before I buy and Im glad I asked on here before I did anything else. Would in any case not have payed before I was sure... but jinne. I see why many get caught.

Thank you Nick.

This person is at it again/still. Now goes by the name of Johannes Kotze. Still using the same phone number. Taken an ad from Bike Exchange Australia https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/indoor-smart-bike-trainers/wahoo/vic/reservoir/wahoo-kickr-smart-trainer-plus-kickr-climb/106373533 and posted on OLX South Africa https://www.olx.co.za/item/wahoo-kickr-and-kickr-climb-iid-1061153668

This person is at it again/still. Now goes by the name of Johannes Kotze. Still using the same phone number. Taken an ad from Bike Exchange Australia https://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/indoor-smart-bike-trainers/wahoo/vic/reservoir/wahoo-kickr-smart-trainer-plus-kickr-climb/106373533 and posted on OLX South Africa https://www.olx.co.za/item/wahoo-kickr-and-kickr-climb-iid-1061153668

Surprised the guy is still using the same number, no fks given.

I received a call from this number (+27 63 798 9435). His name is listed as "Daniel" on Whatsapp. Dude kept phoning me out of the blue after I posted my wanted advert for a mtb. He said he had a fairly new s-works epic and wanted a ridiculously low price for it. First red flag was the price, 2nd was that he immediately said "but lowest I will go is X-20%" and third red flag was when he was pushy, requesting a security deposit because "some oke from cape town said he is at his computer ready to make deposit, but I figured you were closer and it would be easier" (4th red flag was the persistent calls, like who harasses someone like that if you want to make a sale?). When I said I'm not making any payment without seeing it, he acted as though he was insulted or whatever, but still agreed for me to come view it this Thursday evening if it is still available. Of course to no surprise, today I see the number blocked me so I have no doubt it was a scammer and also a massive creep.

I had a response today from my wanted advert from 064 605 0546. I was looking for a Dura Ace crank. He sent me a photo but unfortunately for him I spotted it had a Specialized power meter attached so I realised there was no way he was selling it and didn't know it was fitted. I did a quick google search and found the imagine that he sent me.

He also called me a number of times, I have a feeling these guys are calling from prison because he tried to call non stop and then went offline for the rest of the day. I saw something on Carte Blanche about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Had someone contact me in the last 2 days with 2 different user profiles but wanting me to get back to them on the same gmail address for 2 different ads - be careful

Had this response to my ad yesterday: 

"Do you still have for sale if so,kindly write me back on (torseinmichealhans1@gmail.com) for further conversation."

His reviews showed he has been reviewed as a scammer but I reported it and see he has been blocked so well done the Bikehub admins.

His username was Michael001, incase he reappears somehow.....

Had someone contact me in the last 2 days with 2 different user profiles but wanting me to get back to them on the same gmail address for 2 different ads - be careful

"Do you still have for sale if so,kindly write me back on (torseinmichealhans1@gmail.com) for further conversation."

His reviews showed he has been reviewed as a scammer but I reported it and see he has been blocked so well done the Bikehub admins.

Thanks for reporting these!

We're blocked a number of profiles created by the same person in the last 12 hours or so. We're currently working on solutions to stop them. 

Also got contact twice by the same person, but there was a note that he was a scammer - great job Admins.

I got the same response this morning to an ad: "Do you still have for sale if so,kindly write me back on (torseinmichealhans1@gmail.com ) for further conversation."

Username is now “wemito1”.

It was flagged by Admin as a suspicious user. Thanks Admin. 

oh rats - that means the tandem is not finding a new home for Christmas ....

but the .. "write me back" ..... may have put the spidey senses on

I got the same response this morning to an ad: "Do you still have for sale if so,kindly write me back on (torseinmichealhans1@gmail.com ) for further conversation."

Username is now “wemito1”.

It was flagged by Admin as a suspicious user. Thanks Admin. 

And there I had my hopes up.....

Thanks for the heads up.

Good work everyone.