Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

can't believe Ii actually need to point this out, but it's not a binary thing - you can have both.

*lots of posts - good, people will know that you are a part of the community. if you've been here 5 years and posted 1000+ times you're not going to throw your name away by screwing someone over a R500 tyre that is #$%#@ed are you? and if you do, you will get called out on it.

*good rater feedback. well that's much better, but until people rate regularly we just don't have enough data so we use the former as it is available.

Exactly, so you agree its much better. About people not rating enough - people rate enough to make the system work. People dont rate as often if a deal was good, but they sure as hell rate when a deal was bad, which is a good thing when looking at a sellers ratings. Ive sold probably around 50 things, never had someone unhappy, and dont have a bad review. And only like 10 or so good ratings. My point is, if someone has a bunch of good ratings and no negative ones then post count is completely irrelevant. Do you honestly think someone would look at my ratings and decide not to deal with me because I don't have a 1000 posts?

And no need to be condescending with the whole "i cant believe i actually need to point this out".

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make rating compulsory

They're working on revamping the hub and launching in August. Theyre going to introduce a number of new things and one is prompting feedback. Doubt it will be completely compulsory, but will definitely increase ratings.

Exactly, so you agree its much better. About people not rating enough - people rate enough to make the system work. People dont rate as often if a deal was good, but they sure as hell rate when a deal was bad, which is a good thing when looking at a sellers ratings. Ive sold probably around 50 things, never had someone unhappy, and dont have a bad review. And only like 10 or so good ratings. My point is, if someone has a bunch of good ratings and no negative ones then post count is completely irrelevant. Do you honestly think someone would look at my ratings and decide not to deal with me because I don't have a 1000 posts?

And no need to be condescending with the whole "i cant believe i actually need to point this out".

If you keep making your point you will be up to 1000 posts in no time.

Just imagine how many more sales you will attract  :whistling:

When I registered on a bitcoin trading site I had to jump through hoops...

I had to hold in my hand 2 forms of ID, with myself clearly visible in the photo AND on a piece of paper writtern down "today's" date plus a reference number given to me for verification.

I would not be entirely against such a form of registering and verification on the hub.

It has been said before that the criminals will still find a way around this, but I still think it starts making things a bit more difficult for them.

I made a suggestion on a diff topic before. On other forums I am part of, You need to have a piece of paper with your name and the days date next to advertised item, This way it stops scammers from selling items that don't actually exist. As a seller if you feel uneasy you could request a pic of the buyer with his ID or holding a piece of paper with his name on it, it's not 100% scammer proof but it does chase away many of the scammers.

I for one would be 100% behind your idea too..

I disagree about the feedback being better. If someone on this forum has over 1000 posts Im pretty sure I have a good idea about their personality and how trustworthy they are.

For others who have not been around as much or treat this as a classifieds site without the forum involvement then it would be different.

Unless ratings are strictly enforced from both buyer and seller side after each transaction then the ratings will never be fully accurate.

Sites like Carbonite make it mandatory to rate a sale with bans resulting if you dont, its a very different type of community though and that wouldnt work here. People will be people and Im assuming most of the classifieds only users will probably ditch their accounts after a sale has been concluded.

The other side is fake ratings, nothing currently stops a user from creating a bunch of accounts and giving himself trader ratings, normally when a rating is given a sale URL must accompany it and be verified by an admin, that is not the case with the current rating system though.

Well then its damn silly imo. Not only is 1000 way too many, but its irrelevant to the marketplace anyway. User feedback is so much better and more relevant. Most people don't even bother with the forums anyway. Do the people that claim this 1000 post rule just think theyre special? Just checked the top 5 rated traders on the hub and one has 0 posts, three around 200 and one under 500.

Yes we are

• 4 weeks later...

I just advertised a 2010 Trek 4300 bicycle I am selling, thank goodness for this scammer list, got a message from Bobby Jackson

"I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, if only you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment."

Not knowing any of this yet, I emailed him and I thought his story was a little strange, I googled his name and this came up, I politely apologized and said unfortunately I won't be able to help you. now he wants to know why.... not even

going to reply 

Thank you to all of you for the heads up.....

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like our regular off shore rig scammer has expanded into the lonely hearts area

Hello dear, how is your day going, hope you fine and really smiling like me?Anyway I am so delighted to have come across your email on the search engine, please don't take this mail as junk mail.

I am for real, and would like you to know more about me. My name is Rasmus I am 51 years; I'm from Norway in Europe, but am based here in Mossel Bay South Africa as a Chemical engineer working in the rig (offshore). I'm a widower for the 5 years now and was blessed with a beautiful daughter Anita, by a wonderful, sweet and caring late wife and mother.

I am seeking for someone whom I can lay my heart upon for a strong relationship. I have a good sense of humour and am a very caring Christian who loves God and appreciates Him for who he is. I am looking for a woman with a heart of worship, a heart of love and a desire to be loved. I'm looking forward to make her happy and spoil her with lots of love; I have lots of love to give. I am a man that take care of my family and give love to them, family comes first in my life, feel free to respond and communicate with me because communication is very important in a serious relationship 

Please respond back to my mail on: rasmusb3011@hotmail.com, I will like to know what we might have in common I attached my picture below have a lovely and blessed day, looking forward to hear from you.

Kind Regards, 
Rasmus.

I just advertised a 2010 Trek 4300 bicycle I am selling, thank goodness for this scammer list, got a message from Bobby Jackson

"I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, if only you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment."[/size]

Not knowing any of this yet, I emailed him and I thought his story was a little strange, I googled his name and this came up, I politely apologized and said unfortunately I won't be able to help you. now he wants to know why.... not even

going to reply 

Thank you to all of you for the heads up.....

Play along and when he wants an address to pick up from send him or his buddy to a gay biker bar

so wheres the pitcha?

If you interested, google search shows its a stock modeling photo

post-7-0-75845200-1561125267_thumb.jpg

Speaking of rating, I've contacted someone regarding something for sale several times, and I've had no response to email and private message (no phone number)

Should I rate him as a bad seller? 

Speaking of rating, I've contacted someone regarding something for sale several times, and I've had no response to email and private message (no phone number)

Should I rate him as a bad seller?

No

No

Would like your thoughts as to why?

What is the difference between bashing (insert least favourite retailer here) for bad service and a seller who can’t be bothered?

Well then its damn silly imo. Not only is 1000 way too many, but its irrelevant to the marketplace anyway. User feedback is so much better and more relevant. Most people don't even bother with the forums anyway. Do the people that claim this 1000 post rule just think theyre special? Just checked the top 5 rated traders on the hub and one has 0 posts, three around 200 and one under 500.

It's more of an Hub joke. Posts aren't completely irrelevant though - it shows commitment to the community and effort that has gone into the profile. The thinking is such a person would be less likely to tarnish their name than someone with no posts. Agreed the rating system is more effective though.

I look at feedback first, if someone hasa few good reviews I don't care if the have 5000 posts or 0 posts. If someone has no feedback yet I look at their post count - if they have no posts I will only buy in cash when I pick up the items, if they have lots of posts I am more likely to be trusting of them and may buy something of less value unseen/via courier. It has worked out for me so far.

Edited by Grease_Monkey