Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

Sorry to hear that you've both been caught by this guy  :cursing: 

He's made a re-appearance today under the name "Andrew McDonald" selling a Thule rack in JHB. Phone number: 0639841372

Thanks to an on the ball member the account was flagged and banned soon after posting.

This is a scammer - do not transact with him. Please report any suspicious ads or communications to us.

Cleaning out my whatsapp, found this pic of McDonald

post-44986-0-96949500-1578997914_thumb.png

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see the pic all too well, But is this not maybe the same McDonald fella who has just changed his 1st name on FB?? Def looks similar if I zoom close enough.

Edited by FootballingCyclist

anny info on Fcseuffert@gmail.com? usi g email address as user name seems od

Edited by phenning

Has used name of Paul McDonald.FB is Andrew McDonald.Profile pics are of a much younger man.His voice is soft spoken and I would guess he is in late 50s.Comes across as quite hesitant.Has found a 'niche' in 'selling' goods up to about R5k knowing that his 'victims' probably wont try and find him and the police wont be interested in a petty matter.

Thanks for reporting these!

We're blocked a number of profiles created by the same person in the last 12 hours or so. We're currently working on solutions to stop them. 

I know this will add complexity, but maybe worth it in the long run. Added security enhancements can add to the overall value of the site in years to come. 

It is not possible to create two account types:

1 - an unverified user account: that allows people access to the hub, but without the ability to post any ads

2 - a verified trader account: that only allows verified users to create ads. Verification in the form of submission of photo ID, as well as secondary photo to help reduce the risk of stolen ID's. At least this way once an account has been blocked for dubious/fraudulent trades, that user cannot just create a new account?

• 3 weeks later...

I know this will add complexity, but maybe worth it in the long run. Added security enhancements can add to the overall value of the site in years to come. 

It is not possible to create two account types:

1 - an unverified user account: that allows people access to the hub, but without the ability to post any ads

2 - a verified trader account: that only allows verified users to create ads. Verification in the form of submission of photo ID, as well as secondary photo to help reduce the risk of stolen ID's. At least this way once an account has been blocked for dubious/fraudulent trades, that user cannot just create a new account?

And these of us with already good track records, gets verified automatically?

Potentially...there are definitely more scams happening now than in the past. I would say this is due to increased awareness of the hub, as well as the size (volume and price of the cycling industry). 

If the focus is on new traders, it will make a huge difference, especially when these people are just 'traders' and not actually contributing to the hub community

I think I have been scammed, I purchased a power meter from Hubber in the Western cape, after payment was made, he replied with a couple of messages but this morning nothing, no replies or no longer answers any calls, I will wait until the end of today, then I will post his name.

I think I have been scammed, I purchased a power meter from Hubber in the Western cape, after payment was made, he replied with a couple of messages but this morning nothing, no replies or no longer answers any calls, I will wait until the end of today, then I will post his name.

I live in CT and am happy to do some following up for you!! Send me his details!!

Tricky one that...

I am a moderator on Carbonite and you would be surprised, we deal with bad deals and there are a few very reputable users (with high feedback scores and long time users) that just went south completely and in the end, the said users got banned for life.

People are strange and they sometimes clutch out.