Scammer List

Guy@BMT Stellenbosch

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New scammer: Martin Jacobsen

Tel: 082 099 3442  According to Truecaller it is Ntobeni General, and WA states it is an unverified business.

Also wants to communicate via e-mail, then got this e-mail: 

I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, if only you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

Tel: 082 099 3442  According to Truecaller it is Ntobeni General, and WA states it is an unverified business.

I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, if only you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment.

Lol! Another creative genius!

What's then end game here? Say he pays you via Skrill, are you just supposed to release the item? What if you decide you want to verify the money has cleared? Or accidentallygive an erroneous address 

Did this come through an advert on Bike Hub? I'd like to track down the account they used. Perhaps if you can DM me the time that you received the message?

Edited by Nick

I've had a "Martin Jacobson" of martinjac2020@yahoo.com contact me in response to an ad on my Eddy Merckx. He Whatsapp messages you from 0820993442 saying to email him on that address. Then he responds to an email with:

"I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, if only you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment. I would have loved to talk to you on the phone but I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to the inclement weather, and we can only communicate with our base for now. Thanks"

Obviously a scam, found his number on Truecaller as "Ntobeza General". Lots of reports of that same paragraph online on bicycle sales. Stay safe!

Got the same one today!

I've had a "Martin Jacobson" of martinjac2020@yahoo.com contact me in response to an ad on my Eddy Merckx. He Whatsapp messages you from 0820993442 saying to email him on that address. Then he responds to an email with:

"I am interested in buying this for my cousin as a surprise for him, if only you can assure me that everything is in order. I am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore, I want this to be a surprise for my cousin so I won't let him know anything about this until it gets delivered to him. It will be a secure payment via Skrill as I'm on a rig offshore. So let me know if you have an account with Skrill so I can arrange for the payment asap. Please note, a pick up agent will be coming for the pickup as soon as I have made the payment. I would have loved to talk to you on the phone but I work mainly offshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to the inclement weather, and we can only communicate with our base for now. Thanks"

Obviously a scam, found his number on Truecaller as "Ntobeza General". Lots of reports of that same paragraph online on bicycle sales. Stay safe! 

I now know what "inclement" means! You learn something new everyday!

That same story was going around OLX when I sold my mates motorbike.

This whole off shore petroleum scam had been used a number of years now, surprising people are still falling for it. Have they just got access to the internet now ? 

Another one  :cursing:  Sent off a few Chat messages before we caught them.

lucas mark

"Hello, Do you still have the bike for sale? kindly get back to me at my email [lucasmark1221@gmail.com] for further conversation...Awaiting your fast response."

If you sell on Gumtree or the Hub and someone messages you and asked you to contact them via Gmail just block the number and move on. Since I started doing this I haven’t had anymore scam messages. Maybe the use the same number with various names so a block or two and no more hassles.