[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Cool video!

In slow motion it looks like the other guy got the win by an inch or so.

Turns out there were 34 people that beat 1A, including several racing ladies (all this talk about the ladies not being able to go fast is moot).

Yes, hard to call! Watched it a few times. On the bike I definitely thought I had it.

Really not going to worry about it though...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other sub 3 mountain bikers? My buddy did 02H57 on his stock standard MTB and he started in 1C.

My first tour done. :thumbup:

Didn't plan on riding, but an opportunity presented itself and got a sub from a friend.

I don't really have anything to compare it to, since this is my first long race, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will most certainly be back next time.

The atmosphere is fantastic. So much energetic support from the spectators.

Was a bit negative getting 2 flats in Noordhoek, but the techs at the water point sorted me out. Thanks guys!

Had to walk the top half of Chappies, but managed to spin up Suikerbossie - very chuffed. :clap:

My goal was to make the cutoff, but managed a 6:30. Pleased I am.

Big respect to the guy on the BMX who lost his chain on Chappies and walked/ran/scooted all the way to the finish.

Ugly scene in bike park at about 17h00 when some undesirables got access to the bike park and started to help themselves to gear off the bikes.Luckily security was called quickly. 

So after having the freedom of the city yesterday,the first thing you reach for this morning before the morning ride is the pepperspray.Sad!

I know, because I was there.

I sat in the group to the end too, unlike almost all the guys from 1C who caught us and then got shelled up Chappies and Suikerbossie. And by sat, I mean bled from my eyeballs, sitting on the pointy end of my saddle, donating internal organs faster than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking competition. Big up to the ladies!

Yeah you guys where going at it hard. There was a guy from 1B (I think i saw Steven on his number) he sat with us all The way down Chappies and kept saying bigger gear, faster. Lol I wanted to say, yes I'm running 56 11 but my legs are almost fried. I did gear down for him and he was thankful.[emoji1] he dropped us at the foot of suikerbossie. Edited by Long Wheel Base

Congrats to everyone who finished and a quick recovery to anyone who got injured. 

I had a great race, was aiming to beat 3:10 and finished with a PB of 3:04. 

I thought the sub 3 was on at the bottom of Suikers but when I reached the top in 2:43 I knew I was in trouble. 

Rode from 1D and was incident free apart from all the unnecessary breaking.

Looking forward to next year!  

My first full CTCT yesterday! Such an amazing route, wow! But jeeeezzz, I saw some hectic crashes, hope all is ok. There was a guy in our small bunch about 5-10km before Houtbay (I think) who flipped over his handlebars. We were doing +50km/h at that stage. I literally saw his helmet explode into pieces as he hit the road, scary!

Managed 3:07 on my MTB from 1C. Lots of friendly okes in our group, good vibe!

Were you the guy on a 29er with a 1A number?

That dude was really strong :thumbup:

Anyone that did 2 laps and can see their results on the Racetec site yet? I don't see anything for me...

Anyone that did 2 laps and can see their results on the Racetec site yet? I don't see anything for me...

Mine have both been up since yesterday

so who was the fastest MTB with nobbies.

Mate of mine did 02H57 riding with 1A number in the 1C group.

I Did my first Argus as totally unfit.

I haven't done more than 2 hours on a bike since the WillowCreak MTB in May last year. So I knew I was going to hurt. Started in C3 was ok for the first 40KM but then very quickly realised how much coming home would hurt as I was already going on fumes. By the end of the fast section by the reserve I was truly in the sh#t and had to join some slower groups until I hit the kommejie road where the first of my GU's kicked in a bit. Although by then my arse and body was in a great deal of discomfort. Chappies hurt.  and Suikerbossie even more, weaving through crowds who all seemed to have easier gears than what I did hurt more than I remembered from previous races.. Top of Landudno I was so shot I stopped for a cup of coke before heading on down catching some fragmented groups on my way. By then no wheel I sucked lasted for more than a minute and I ended up almost burning the last matches prematurely. By Seapoint circle I was just gatfol and decided to leave it all on the road and I put head down.. But oh my it felt like an eternity. Thank goodness some "Peter" guy came around and did a pull at about 2km out.

Did a 3:40 which is my worst result while actually "racing" but I was pretty chuffed since I had zero training in the bank. Never say never, but hope I'll never be that stupid again.

Also, Its much harder from the back that's for sure.

Interesting day out today. Bummed to say the least. Started in 2B and was like an F1 start which split up Edinburgh only to regroup there after. Stayed as a huge group coming up to Simonstown where some 2C riders caught us and we cought some of 2A. Fast and furious with a group too large for the narrowing road. Handles clashed some got hooked and 4 of us went down at speed. Race over, frame broken in 2 places, RD bent and spent the rest of the day in hospital confirming broken collar bone ... hoping for a quick recovery!

Damn, sorry to hear about your misfortune! I was one of the front guys in 2C! For me the pace was really hectic up front ,especially going up Edinburgh...felt like my heart was going to pop. Anyway hanged-on to the front bunch till before Chappies when the legs popped! My mate dropped back and we cycled a steady pace over Chappies and to the top of Suikerbossie. And then the hammer went down. 5km to go and doing about 42-45kph a guy clipped my back wheel and took 2 other riders with him! Moved over to the side and looked back and saw the one guy fly over the guy in front of him...not a pretty sight and I doubt whether any of them would have been able to finish the race! Finished in 3h15 eventually. Btw I hope the riders are "ok" that went down!

Edited by Reg Lizard

Didn't ride this year. Sad Smiley

But watched the fast guys coming through HB. Those okes are next level.

This morning on my way in to town the ONLY evidence of an event was the odd portaloo that had not been picked up. I'm always amazed that they can put on something so huge and have it cleaned up seemingly within hours.