Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On a nicer note however, i tried the tropical greens smoothie this morning and it is by far the best i have has. That being said i have only had the Tropical Greens, Strawberry Stinger and Peanut Butter Bomb.

Agreed, also one of the lower in calorie ones.

Guest notmyname

So from 1500 to 100 in 2 months. What a flippin cheek. Crooks if you ask me. Enjoy the watch those of you that took the plunge.

Moderate HR 70 - 79% 30 - 89min = 100Points

Currently HR 70 -79% 30 - 59 min = 300Points and 60 - 89min = 600Points

So for my normal base training run at 75% max I will only get 100 points and no longer 600 points. Eish.

okay, let's do the math here.

The HR data that they use is your AGE RATED HR. 

IE: If you're 40, your MAX HR is listed at 220-40 = 180.

In order to get to Vigorous, you'll now need to maintain an average of 144 bpm. 

Not that difficult, and I'd even go so far as to say that that is far lower than your *actual* 75% level... 

No, you'll just get 100 points max

:( I guess I'm getting a heart rate thingie magig

I hope they adjust the weekly targets on the rewards program as well.

So they say:

Certain members will see their Vitality Active Rewards goals adjusted to provide them with adequate time to adapt to the new points-earning activities and device updates.

The new structure is probably what it should have been in the 1st place.

What sucks is if you have taken out the i watch.

They have now moved the goal posts which is not fair.

On a nicer note however, i tried the tropical greens smoothie this morning and it is by far the best i have has. That being said i have only had the Tropical Greens, Strawberry Stinger and Peanut Butter Bomb.

vitamin see ftw

Moderate HR 70 - 79% 30 - 89min = 100Points

Currently HR 70 -79% 30 - 59 min = 300Points and 60 - 89min = 600Points

So for my normal base training run at 75% max I will only get 100 points and no longer 600 points. Eish.

4x Base Training Sessions (100) and 3x Quality (300+) sessions a week should give you at least 1300. It's not a ridiculous amount of points but it's not unrealistic either.

With the current system Vitality is basically a charity organisation giving away free smoothies and watches.

I ride 4/5 times per week so will achieve the target most weeks .

However Discovery seem to be very good at offering GREAT benefits to hook you in , then once they have buy- in they start moving the goalposts .

With Vitality you have to book 3 weeks in advance to get the discount at hotels  ... rules out spontineity if you ask me ....

Yes their actuaries are crafty buggers

I have given up on Vitality and they will loose my business at year end.

And as a result I will also get some fresh quotes and options with regards to me other policies with them together with my medical aid.

okay, let's do the math here.

The HR data that they use is your AGE RATED HR. 

IE: If you're 40, your MAX HR is listed at 220-40 = 180.

In order to get to Vigorous, you'll now need to maintain an average of 144 bpm. 

Not that difficult, and I'd even go so far as to say that that is far lower than your *actual* 75% level... 

Vitality age and actual age is 33

therefore 220-33 = 187 @ 80% = 149.6 BPM

Actual 75% MAX is 142BPM and till the end of May I am sticking to it religiously EG. This mornings run 60min Max HR : 154 BPM   AVG : 143 BPM, Like i Said 100 Points a run till end May for me.

Will be interesting to see if they lower the points even further throughout the year and what their scoring system will be for the start of next year as it will be highly unlikely to get 30K point by the end of Jan like this (For someone like me at least)

Edited by ScottC-M

Let's put this into perspective. The new points system combined with the watch was always going to change once the real data started coming in. Their metrics have already increased HUGELY wrt how active people are once utilising the system and watch, and in order to keep it relevant, they need to adjust to ensure that people remain incentivised to do MORE. 

More activity = less health risk = lower cost = better premiums etc etc. 

Given that they're not increasing the soft cap of 1,200 points per week, the metrics wrt activities and the points they qualify for was always going to change. 

I think they also had a look at just how many people were doing 2h plus activities just once, meeting the target, and then relaxing - that doesn't fit in with their idea of "increased activity". Now, instead of doing just one thing per week for 1,500 or 3,000 points, you need to do 2 of the same quality. A small change. A carrot, if you will... 

Vitality age and actual age is 33

therefore 220-33 = 187 @ 80% = 149.6 BPM

Actual 75% MAX is 142BPM and till the end of May I am sticking to it religiously EG. This mornings run 60min Max HR : 154 BPM   AVG : 143 BPM, Like i Said 100 Points a run till end May for me.

Will be interesting to see if they lower the points even further throughout the year and what their scoring system will be for the start of next year as it will be highly unlikely to get 30K point by the end of Jan like this (For someone like me at least)

You sure of your max at 189? Sure it's not higher than that?

If not - then yeah. That highlights a real flaw in it. Cos you're definitely exercising...

Let's see how quickly they adapt to a lower points allocation, and if they revert to a lower ma / vigorous setting.