Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

No, it shows “benefit in progress” once activated. The third step is to buy the shoes, which makes the benefit active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it shows “benefit in progress” once activated. The third step is to buy the shoes, which makes the benefit active.

Dude, I did this last year, benefit is active before buying the shoes. They will only know that you purchased the shoes on Friday when the pull the data from sportsmans, and this is not even my opinion, I contacted them and asked them, they do monthly pulls from sportsmans, totals sports, etc on the 23rd of each month.

Seeing as you made your purchase today you will be getting your 15/25% back Monday or Tuesday, payout runs on the 25th but banks take naps on weekends for some reason.

This is my second pair of shoes and IS different from last year, otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered posting here about the new fitness booster.

8e99545974b805a641ee405d3c23fef1.jpg

85b6293347441a23dcf6f3398750401f.jpg

4e5c6f979f94cfa3f9cb9fdb5cbe701d.jpg

Edited by Frosty

WTF. Max points per year for steps is 1000?????

I’ve not even been a vitality member for 2 months and I’ve hit my limit apparently.

I’ve not even been a vitality member for 2 months and I’ve hit my limit apparently.

Been like that for a while already, they made steps basically worthless as of early last year, you want points you need to do actual exercise that actually raises your hr.

Its been proven by a number os studies that while walking is beneficial and 10k steps a day is a good idea, it's effectively inefficient and ineffective over time, it's too passive an activity.

I saw this from personal experience when I was trying to loose weight, did the steps and all, that was good for 15 of the 32kg I lost, but from that point on it did next to nothing, and honestly much of those losses could be attributed to no milkshakes, less chips and chocolates, not putting mayonnaise on EVERYTHING, and we'll the 9 cups of coffee with 3 sugars each ever single day was a terrible idea.

For me to actually reach my goal, and this was before I was with Discovery, I had to step it up, took up running, for a couple of years gym as well but dropped that and with just running, weight loss plateaued again, not that I needed to ditch much more, but your body becomes adept at better utilising energy for activities, so unless you mix things up or cross train, the same running in my case began to yield lower caloric burns, if I had to do a run now as fast as I was able to a year ago I would need to do 2-3x the distance just to have the same impact. Its probably been 8 or 9 months since I last managed to break 160bpm outside of a race.

If I didn't run balls to the wall or do at least an hour, I'm not getting 300 points anymore.

Took up cycling a few months ago and that mix has made running more useful again, I actually cycle so much and run soo little that my running slowing down and getting harder again. So it's once again becoming a useful caloric burner again.

As much as discoveries changes can be annoying, that is one I can actually agree with, I know many people who have gone through the same process as I, as repetitive activities becomes less effective, all the science to prove it, walking for the majority is simply not enough to be quantified as a long term beneficial activity for a healthier lifestyle, and at the end of the day, discoveries main goal is to keep you out of hospital so that you don't cost them money.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

Been like that for a while already, they made steps basically worthless as of early last year, you want points you need to do actual exercise that actually raises your hr.

Its been proven by a number os studies that while walking is beneficial and 10k steps a day is a good idea, it's effectively inefficient and ineffective over time, it's too passive an activity.

I saw this from personal experience when I was trying to loose weight, did the steps and all, that was good for 15 of the 32kg I lost, but from that point on it did next to nothing, and honestly much of those losses could be attributed to no milkshakes, less chips and chocolates, not putting mayonnaise on EVERYTHING, and we'll the 9 cups of coffee with 3 sugars each ever single day was a terrible idea.

For me to actually reach my goal, and this was before I was with Discovery, I had to step it up, took up running, for a couple of years gym as well but dropped that and with just running, weight loss plateaued again, not that I needed to ditch much more, but your body becomes adept at better utilising energy for activities, so unless you mix things up or cross train, the same running in my case began to yield lower caloric burns, if I had to do a run now as fast as I was able to a year ago I would need to do 2-3x the distance just to have the same impact. Its probably been 8 or 9 months since I last managed to break 160bpm outside of a race.

If I didn't run balls to the wall or do at least an hour, I'm not getting 300 points anymore.

Took up cycling a few months ago and that mix has made running more useful again, I actually cycle so much and run soo little that my running slowing down and getting harder again. So it's once again becoming a useful caloric burner again.

As much as discoveries changes can be annoying, that is one I can actually agree with, I know many people who have gone through the same process as I, as repetitive activities becomes less effective, all the science to prove it, walking for the majority is simply not enough to be quantified as a long term beneficial activity for a healthier lifestyle, and at the end of the day, discoveries main goal is to keep you out of hospital so that you don't cost them money.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

The 5000 steps a day was an easy way to keep the points ticking over as that’s what I do at work anyway.

When time allows I get 2 rides in on the weekend, but during the week its impossible without a HRM to get the points as I can’t get onto the road before or after work.

I can’t afford a HRM that is compatible with Vitality right now, so that leaves me having to get points based on time riding and actually moving I.e no IDT rides for me.

To bad, I’ll just give up on reaching the weekly goals until such time as I can get a HRM.

Edited by ouzo

Only for between 5,000 & 9,999 steps, and it's been like that for the last 2 years (since beginning 2016)

Step counting devices are not very accurate, and seldom gives a true reflection of either steps or distances covered. I would not be suprised at all if Vitality drops step counting all together. I easily 'notch' up 5000 and more and even 10000 on occasion by driving around in my Hilux on the farm.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone verify the latest Vitality stinker that was just posted on Facebook - that many of us won't be issued the ultra-distance 3000 points for a 260km Cullinan to Tonteldoos ride - because we entered as part of a team, and they don't reward team events?? 

Hi, need some advice on logging points for vitality rewards.

What app can i use with a iPhone and a Bluetooth hr strap? Will polar beat work? And if it will will the polar beat app read a wahoo Bluetooth hr strap?

Hi, need some advice on logging points for vitality rewards.

What app can i use with a iPhone and a Bluetooth hr strap? Will polar beat work? And if it will will the polar beat app read a wahoo Bluetooth hr strap?

That depends on weather Discovery accepts just app data without device data, the app should read any strap that will connect to the phone, but discovery is not stupid, I have sync'd my tomtom stuff to garmin connect for some time and I can tell you that unless a gamrin device was the data source, discovery does not care.

You pretty much going to have to test this for yourself, Discovery analyses the data, so if it is not happy with the source it simply will not accept it. I assume you asking specifically as you already own all of these devices, but why would you buy a polar wearable and wahoo HR strap instead of a polar strap or just a polar with optical HR?

They obviously do not support wahoo for a reason, so if there is a source device id or reference in the data polar is sending up it may reject as being unsupported.

Edited by Reme Le Hane

That depends on weather Discovery accepts just app data without device data, the app should read any strap that will connect to the phone, but discovery is not stupid, I have sync'd my tomtom stuff to garmin connect for some time and I can tell you that unless a gamrin device was the data source, discovery does not care.

You pretty much going to have to test this for yourself, Discovery analyses the data, so if it is not happy with the source it simply will not accept it. I assume you asking specifically as you already own all of these devices, but why would you buy a polar wearable and wahoo HR strap instead of a polar strap or just a polar with optical HR?

They obviously do not support wahoo for a reason, so if there is a source device id or reference in the data polar is sending up it may reject as being unsupported.

I dont have an HRM strap, have been using cyclemeter for as long as I can remember to record my rides.

For discovery purposes I downloaded Polar Beat to record my rides (along side cyclemeter), Vitality accept these rides for points.

So my guess would be that the HRM strap brand does not matter, the app recording the info is what matters.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

It is only the 5000 steps @ 50 points that is capped at 1000 points. 10 000 steps and more still carries through. I believe, but I may be wrong.

Looking at the Device Booster mail I received from Sportsman's Warehouse a few days ago, there are not many cycling GPS computers that qualify?

I see only the Polar M460 and V650. No Garmin Edge's or Wahoo's

Can anyone verify the latest Vitality stinker that was just posted on Facebook - that many of us won't be issued the ultra-distance 3000 points for a 260km Cullinan to Tonteldoos ride - because we entered as part of a team, and they don't reward team events?? 

I got 3000 points for running 167 km, because they don't rewards ultra ultra distance events so you get the same as a marathon, but you get more for ironman because that requires training( rough quote from them).

But yes you get sweet nothing for team events, 120km full moon adventure race they say nope team event and adventure race so sweet nothing, but like ct2, split your gps activity into 2 parts, at midnight and re-upload to garmin/suunto and claim an ultra distance exercise per day for more points.