Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

2019 started the same as 2018 ended.... logging queries; 3 already for the year

a) Vitality Status still on gold, meant to be on Diamond

b) Shoebooster for December not paid

c) Driverscore for discover insure October->December not calculated at all.

Anyone else having so many issues with Disco?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i have the answer i need.

but on a side note... the gym swipes cost you a monthly fee as well. And i know you get the money back but just saying

Back to your original question - It is crazy !! I have to do 1 hr at 70+ ave HR and get 300 pts and then people go walk a park run or just arrive have a coffee and then go home and they get the same. the Park Run should have at least a HR or a distance rule attached for tha amount of points it gives.

I have a theory that there is a deal between Disco & Park Run to get as many people as possible doing Park Runs - Go to any Park Run on a Sat - it looks like Pick n pay on Payday

It's also gonna be made more tricky or at least less conveneient this year as they now require a min 30 min at the gym for points, still no word on how they tracking that, but once it's in u won't be able to turnstile the gym.

Hope they bring in like a sick week option or something where you don't need to accumulate points and those that you accidently accumulated does not count. With ofcourse a few rules like only able to do its once or twice a year and then they already have the doctors info that you visited and stuff. Would be quite cool

Back to your original question - It is crazy !! I have to do 1 hr at 70+ ave HR and get 300 pts and then people go walk a park run or just arrive have a coffee and then go home and they get the same. the Park Run should have at least a HR or a distance rule attached for tha amount of points it gives.

I have a theory that there is a deal between Disco & Park Run to get as many people as possible doing Park Runs - Go to any Park Run on a Sat - it looks like Pick n pay on Payday

I personally think the points for Parkrun should be based on time you finish in. Max points being 300 and then the longer you take the less you receive but never less than 50 points.

I personally think the points for Parkrun should be based on time you finish in. Max points being 300 and then the longer you take the less you receive but never less than 50 points.

From a behavioral perspective that'll achieve the opposite of what they want to. Remember, they're trying to get the inactive active, not us. The inactive need an adequate points allocation in order to make it more attractive / achievable to get to certain statuses. Too few points, and you get a "what's the use" attitude and numbers drop off.

From a behavioral perspective that'll achieve the opposite of what they want to. Remember, they're trying to get the inactive active, not us. The inactive need an adequate points allocation in order to make it more attractive / achievable to get to certain statuses. Too few points, and you get a "what's the use" attitude and numbers drop off.

That would make sense to me, the 300 points for Parkrun acts as an incentive for people that generally wouldn't be active. The 300 points for different activities doesn't mean that they view the activities the same from a health perspective.

That would make sense to me, the 300 points for Parkrun acts as an incentive for people that generally wouldn't be active. The 300 points for different activities doesn't mean that they view the activities the same from a health perspective.

It was a lot more "fair" when it first came out, but it also had the side-effect of being too easy, I had my 45k points by the 3rd of feb when they came up with the new points system, a 2 hours run was worth like 3k 

Agreed to a point. Problem is (and we have seen it at North Beach Parkrun...) people arriving at 8:40am and joining the many runners as they arrive back at Suncoast, scanning the barcode and collecting the 300 points followed by breakfast at Mug and Bean. (Probably the same people that go to the gym just to swipe their cards....)

I have heard rumors of Disco changing the points allocation to 100 points for Parkrun. Essentially making it a participation event. If you want the 200/300 points you will need to log the heart rate instead of just attending.

Any news about the mandatory 30 min "attendance" at VA to get your 100 points? i.e. swipe in and swipe out 30 minutes (minimum) later?

Agreed to a point. Problem is (and we have seen it at North Beach Parkrun...) people arriving at 8:40am and joining the many runners as they arrive back at Suncoast, scanning the barcode and collecting the 300 points followed by breakfast at Mug and Bean. (Probably the same people that go to the gym just to swipe their cards....)

I have heard rumors of Disco changing the points allocation to 100 points for Parkrun. Essentially making it a participation event. If you want the 200/300 points you will need to log the heart rate instead of just attending.

Any news about the mandatory 30 min "attendance" at VA to get your 100 points? i.e. swipe in and swipe out 30 minutes (minimum) later?

yeah. I'd support that personally, tbh. Or maybe even reduce it to 200. More than 10,000 steps in a day, less than 30 min at 80%. 

No idea on the VA attendance thing, tho I reckon it'll be simple to institute. Just upgrade the exit turnstiles to be barcode-scanner versions, like one of my local outlets (Century City) already has. Simple. Can still just go for a coffee and sauna, but still there. 

They make it sound like that, but after answering the questionnaire truthfully, it was activated for me as well.

The have access to full history from when anyone joined. They can see heart rate averages, average ride times, total hours per week, speed. A massive amount of data. It should not be necessary for a questionnaire?

Disco are official sponsors of Park Run and personally I think it's an excellent initiative getting non sporting people up and out for a Saturday morning. 

I volunteer at my local parkrun and the people that come out and come in an hour later struggling but are back the next week are the ones that are targeted, let them have their 300 points man! 

Don't shoot the messenger - since they did away with the pre-run for volunteers, there's been talk about giving points to volunteers - won't be 300 points but the premise being you're still out there moving around. Personally I'm against that but I guess 50 points ain't too much skin off someone's back..or maybe it is.

The have access to full history from when anyone joined. They can see heart rate averages, average ride times, total hours per week, speed. A massive amount of data. It should not be necessary for a questionnaire?

I'd imagine that answering a questionnaire would be far faster than clicking yes / no and then waiting for the system to collate and analyse previous workout history. That's not covering the ability for new members to opt in (which the q'naire allows for) and for people to opt in without meeting arbitrary entry criteria. 

What Captain said in post 8412 following yours and also they don't have any such records for brand new vitality members. Only HR record Discovery maybe has of me is from the wellness day last year.

Besides, the questionnaire was roughly 5 questions, of which 1 was whether you completed any event of x running or 100km+ of cycling and another was whether you are on doctors orders not to exercise or something along those lines. Writing code to check hr history would be more expensive than this brief questionnaire. Perhaps not as dependable or safe, but cheaper.

It's also gonna be made more tricky or at least less conveneient this year as they now require a min 30 min at the gym for points, still no word on how they tracking that, but once it's in u won't be able to turnstile the gym.

I share the same sentiment as Shaper... if I’m sick, then gym swipes and a Parkrun will get me my 900 points. If it means sitting at the Kuiai tables for 30 mins with a laptop, then so be it. My gym doesn’t monitor the exit time, so I have nothing to be concerned with.

FWIW, I use their treadmill on rainy days, in winter and when I want to do intervals. That’s once a week for running.

I assume the 450 and 600 points are only for those that have done the "High Permance" fitness assessment. I often exercise more than 2 hours at >70% and have never received more than 300 points

No, you just need to sign up for the Endurance option. Then your weekly goal is pushed to 1200, but those longer activities get you more points. If you're doing the activities anyway, why not? Then again, if you're going to max out the yearly activity points anyway, and all you're interested in is your personal fitness, then it's no big deal.