Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

If I don't attach my garmin heart rate monitor it reads at around 220 walking to start chute. Will just do that while shopping ;)

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the full release...

Vitality fitness points refinements

Vitality is committed to making people healthier. On 2 April 2016, refinements will come into effect on how you can earn Vitality fitness points.

While we will continue to respond to you individually, here are answers to some of the questions you have been asking:

1. Why have you made changes to the Vitality fitness device and app partners?

The changes are designed to ensure Vitality remains clinically relevant based on credible and reliable data. In addition, the updates are intended to minimise the potential for gaming and abuse which is occurring through the capturing of unverified physical activity. In line with this, we will no longer be awarding Vitality points for certain devices and apps, the most commonly used being MapMyFitness, Strava, miCoach, Timex, Moves, and RunKeeper. In addition, heart rate data from fitbit devices does not currently appear in the format required by us to award Vitality points.

We have selected points-earning devices and apps on the basis of the ability to obtain reliable data, and ensuring that they represent the vast majority of points-earning activities currently being recorded by Vitality members.

You will continue to earn Vitality fitness points by using the following devices: Apple Watch, Samsung Gear Watch, Polar, Garmin, SUUNTO, TomTom, Jawbone, Fitbit, Fitbug, Withings and Misfit. In line with our clinical guidelines, more emphasis is being placed on verified heart rate data than unverified steps.

You can also use the Apple Health app using an appropriate iPhone, or S Health through an appropriate Samsung phone, to track your steps and earn up to 100 Vitality fitness points a day for 10 000 steps or more.

Device and app partners will be reviewed on a regular basis and added when all the relevant criteria are met.

2. How will I achieve my Vitality Active Rewards goal now that it is harder to earn Vitality fitness points? 

To ensure a smooth transition for those on Vitality Active Rewards, certain members’ Vitality Active Rewards goals will be recalculated on a personalised basis to account for the points changes. This will take effect in April 2016.

3. Why has Strava been delinked?

As reported by many of our members, Strava integration has been problematic this year, which has negatively impacted on Vitality’s ability to deliver the necessary support and service to our members. In addition, we are no longer able to support third party integrations or devices that allow self-reported data. At this stage, verified and self-reported data on Strava cannot be differentiated on our platform and we are therefore in the process of discontinuing this method of integration from Vitality, effective 2 April 2016.

4. I don’t have a fitness device – how do I earn points now if I don’t want to get one?

There are many ways to earn your fitness points. We are placing more emphasis on data which is verifiable and clinically relevant. If you don’t have a separate fitness device, you can still use the Apple Health app using an appropriate iPhone, or S Health through an appropriate Samsung phone, to track your steps and earn up to 100 Vitality fitness points a day.

You can earn 100 Vitality fitness points for visiting one of our partner gyms, taking part in a workout at one of our Vitality Fit partners, or taking part in a Run/Walk For Life workout. You can also earn 300 Vitality fitness points for participating in a free park run, as well as up to 3 000 Vitality fitness points for taking part in selected timed and verified race events.

5. Why – and on what scientific basis – have you changed the heart rate levels? 

Our clinical guidelines are based on the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommendations. As the largest sports medicine and exercise science organisation in the world, ACSM guidelines are globally one of the most credible sources around exercise prescription.

Our prior recommendation of 60% for moderate and 70% for vigorous was below the ACSM recommendations and not fully aligned with Vitality’s targeted clinical outcomes. As our ability to track clinically relevant and verifiable data has improved, we have updated our heart rate workout recommendations to fall more in line with the international standard of moderate heart rate (fairly light to somewhat hard) being 64-75% and vigorous (somewhat hard to very hard) being 76-96%.

6. Will my steps still count? 

Yes, you can earn 100 Vitality points for completing 10 000 steps or more in a day. This is in line with global health guidelines which recommend a combination of moderate and vigorous activity during the week. The removal of 300 points for 12 500 steps and the focus on a daily target of 10 000 steps and maximum 100 points a day is designed to encourage members to be active regularly during the week.

If you were using an app that will no longer link with Vitality, you can still use S Health through an appropriate Samsung phone or the Apple Health app using an appropriate iPhone to track your steps and earn up to 100 Vitality fitness points a day.

7. Why are you encouraging me to over-train?

We do not endorse nor do we encourage members to attempt to earn their points solely by taking part in one long, vigorous workout or event, but rather through several workouts throughout the week.

Vitality members are encouraged to take part in regular, moderate/vigorous physical activity most days of the week for at least 30 minutes a day – in line with global health guidelines. As such, the 100 to 300 points ranges remain within reach of our members. Our 1 500 and 3 000 points categories are in place to recognise our high performance athletes who occasionally take part in a longer distance event. While these points categories recognise members for taking part in activities like marathons, we know that members who do so will also earn points through frequent physical activity over the course of a week in order to train for these events.

To ensure a smooth transition for those on Vitality Active Rewards, certain Vitality Active Rewards members’ goals will be recalculated on a personalised basis to account for the points changes.

Oh dear, what a lot of double speak  - the whole changeeroo has kept vitality members off their feet and stuck to their keyboards for days instead of exercising.

Whoopee I can get 100points for a walk but zilch for my strava rides. Idiots.

The big joke still remains.

Almost NONE of my workouts carry a 70% HR ave.

I am fit.  My HR does not go there.

And if it does, it is because I push hard intervals. 

And even if I do 15 intervals of 2min each at max HR, my ave HR will not go over 70% if I ride my normal 2 hours.

So pretty much useless.

Try and explain that to the rocket scientists at Discovery....

Found an app called Polar Beat, which looks like we'll record your ride on your Polar account. Think that could link to Discovery. Thinking of using this with an H7 strap for my Vitality points and then continue using my PowerTap Joule GPS for watching my stats during the ride. Just wondering what would the effect be of riding with 2 straps be (would it work). Don't have the bucks to buy another bike computer and have been spoiled with the information available on the PowerTap.

Well I guess I'll no longer receive vitality rewards for cycling, because I will continue using strava and I'm sure not going to spend money on something I never needed previously.

i think this is their plan. Its an easy "get out of jail free card" for them. They say strava is inaccurate and people use it with their "dogs" what a load of crap. I think its because they are spending millions on coffee and apple watches which they didn't expect. I would guess some analysts got fired big time over there because they didn't realize how many people were already "active" according to their calculations,

Even listening to the interview on cape talk, they had a tannie on there talk about the health side and she didn't actually say anything about their vigirous goals. I bet you they paid for that airtime and its someone they are fimiliar with that was the tannie talking about the health side.

In the end of the day disco is a business and they are all about making money. Let the apple watch be a lesson (to me too because i got one for my wife), school fees, if it is too good to be true it probably is. Who would "give" away a 5k watch?

I will also be cancelling my vitality subs as I replaced my gym visits with rides during summer and subsequently pay the full membership fees because I'm not keeping fit inside a gym.

So I had a big bunch crash during the CTCT and confirmed yesterday that have a broken collar bone and in for the operation on Friday.  It basically means that can only do light training  (spin) for the next 2 months... which really puts a spanner in the works for my triathlon and cycling training.

As it is what it is... am going to use it as an experiment to see whether my award points will drop based on the limited training involved.  Up to now, since the active rewards started, I have always been on 1200 a week.

Luckily I did not sign up for the apple watch :)... as I have enough devices to record my workouts

Edited by shaper

i think this is their plan. Its an easy "get out of jail free card" for them. They say strava is inaccurate and people use it with their "dogs" what a load of crap. I think its because they are spending millions on coffee and apple watches which they didn't expect. I would guess some analysts got fired big time over there because they didn't realize how many people were already "active" according to their calculations,

Even listening to the interview on cape talk, they had a tannie on there talk about the health side and she didn't actually say anything about their vigirous goals. I bet you they paid for that airtime and its someone they are fimiliar with that was the tannie talking about the health side.

In the end of the day disco is a business and they are all about making money. Let the apple watch be a lesson (to me too because i got one for my wife), school fees, if it is too good to be true it probably is. Who would "give" away a 5k watch?

No, they say they can't use Strava because you can self-report data, and the platform doesn't differentiate between self-reported and verified data. PLUS it doesn't like syncing, for some reason.

Also - the dog thing is legit. Seriously... You underestimate the lengths to which people will go to get a free smoothie or watch. 

As for the cost - it's minimal when compared to the amount of money they will save from increased healthy activity. What needs to change is in the mind of the consumer - not exercising for points, but exercising for fitness and letting the points be a byproduct of the exercise. That's the attitude shift that they're looking for. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

No, they say they can't use Strava because you can self-report data, and the platform doesn't differentiate between self-reported and verified data. PLUS it doesn't like syncing, for some reason.

Also - the dog thing is legit. Seriously... You underestimate the lengths to which people will go to get a free smoothie or watch.

As for the cost - it's minimal when compared to the amount of money they will save from increased healthy activity. What needs to change is in the mind of the consumer - not exercising for points, but exercising for fitness and letting the points be a byproduct of the exercise. That's the attitude shift that they're looking for.

And it's for that exact reason that I will continue to use strava. I couldn't give a toss about the points and unclaimed smoothies.

And it's for that exact reason that I will continue to use strava. I couldn't give a toss about the points and unclaimed smoothies.

Do you have any other disco products? Life / Invest? 

If you have Disco Life, your vitality cancellation will have a direct effect on your premiums and premium increases going forwards. 

Most important bit taken here:

Our prior recommendation of 60% for moderate and 70% for vigorous was below the ACSM recommendations and not fully aligned with Vitality’s targeted clinical outcomes. As our ability to track clinically relevant and verifiable data has improved, we have updated our heart rate workout recommendations to fall more in line with the international standard of moderate heart rate (fairly light to somewhat hard) being 64-75% and vigorous (somewhat hard to very hard) being 76-96%.

EDIT: They need to clarify this. Seems 2 people are answering, one linked the 80% for vigorous and another is saying the above bands will apply... 

Any Clarification of which one its going to be yet?

Moderate 64-75% or 70-79%? and Vigorous 76-96 or 80%+?

That 6% band could make a lot of difference on someone very fit/with a naturally low HR or in Base Training..

Edited by Ferret69

Any Clarification of which one its going to be yet?

Moderate 64-75% or 70-79%? and Vigorous 76-96 or 80%+?

That 6% band could make a lot of difference on someone very fit/with a naturally low HR or in Base Training..

Not that I've seen, but then I've been paying attention to other things... Will concentrate on it later today. 

Do you have any other disco products? Life / Invest? 

If you have Disco Life, your vitality cancellation will have a direct effect on your premiums and premium increases going forwards. 

^^^^^ this is VERY important if you have "integrator" or whatever it's called... BIG CASHBACK implications

I have googled like mad and i still haven't found a way online to self-report HR Data to Strava.

2BH, i did not even know about self-reporting to Strava and still cannot figure it out.

My view is that they should accept Strava with HR data...