Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

I see Discovery is listed as a sponsor, so that explains some of the "free" entries.

*inside info

Edit: oops, wrong thread, but still relating to a few of the Emperor's related posts.

Edited by geraldm24

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't applied for the free entry as I already have other plans for that weekend.

It would be nice if they do this more often but with at least a month before the event and not just 2 weeks.

Makes me wonder if the organizers received less than expected entries this year.

Surely it cannot be feasible for Vitality to pay full price for all their riders.

Have already paid and entered, took the early bird offer from ASG.  This way I can and have replied to Discovery asking for 100% repayment.... so might get lucky twice with a free entry and extra in the goodie bag  :whistling:

Have already paid and entered, took the early bird offer from ASG.  This way I can and have replied to Discovery asking for 100% repayment.... so might get lucky twice with a free entry and extra in the goodie bag  :whistling:

Just got my email confirming the 100% back, if I complete the race.

I got 12000 points last week for my cycling. Need 1200 so I was 10 times over. Recorded on a Garmin 800 on my bike. Easy to record. Easy to upload. No problems.

But, and for me it's a big but, I spend more time than I should dealing with this stuff and planning things for it. By that I mean it now influences what devices I buy and what software I use to upload to. I spend time checking things are all working and being recorded.

I have dumped the fitness tracker and put my rather nice watch back on my wrist. I will exercise as I see fit at a heart rate and intensity that suits my current training plan.

I can easily get my 30000 fitness points and don't need crappy coffee or free smoothies to spur me on. If I want a fitness device I will buy the one I need and want not the one vitality see fit to offer me. I will set my own goals and reach them or not and I'm good with that.

Amen

+1000

I see Discovery is listed as a sponsor, so that explains some of the "free" entries.

*inside info

Edit: oops, wrong thread, but still relating to a few of the Emperor's related posts.

Gerald, how does one apply? I entered and paid today - have I missed the boat?

Gerald, how does one apply? I entered and paid today - have I missed the boat?

You may have missed the boat. I don't know.

Did you receive a mail from them?

You need to reply to that email telling them you've already entered and paid. If you're lucky, you get refunded.

This is actually brilliant - my daughter posted it on FaceBook and it seems that Discovery are not vey happy about it.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

The biggest problem with the loopholes that discovery had was that it was costing them money, cashback incentives and the like linked to your vitality status were very dangerous.

I know from a friend working closely with it that the actuaries got their estimations wrong and that there was a lot of poo being flung around.

This is actually brilliant - my daughter posted it on FaceBook and it seems that Discovery are not vey happy about it.

I see they are deleting the posts where people are sharing the link. hahaha

Amen

+1000

I fully agree BUT when you start working towards, discounted GYM fees it get worth while or in future discounted flights(when this will be implemented only they know)

I was reading users comments on their FB page, they actually recommended a user switch off his fitness device when they start with recovery so that his average heart rate does not drop too low. WTH?

I was reading users comments on their FB page, they actually recommended a user switch off his fitness device when they start with recovery so that his average heart rate does not drop too low. WTH?

The problem with this is that if you use your desired app such as Strava or GC to track mileage of your equipment it throws everything out of whack.

Now this might not seem like a big deal but for some sports it is. Lets say my warm up and cool down / Recovery part of my run is 2km each time. Now I run 5 times a week so that gives me 10km per week I am out. Once again this doesn't seem like a lot. I am then 40km out in a month and in 13 weeks (3 Months) I'm 130kms out, in cycling terms this isn't a lot, BUT when your running shoes only has a life span of 800 - 1000km it becomes a problem. In just 3 months you could be out by as much as 16% on the lifespan of your equipment which can cause injury and once again claims on your medical aid.

Wouldn't it be a novel idea for a medical aid to consult proper athletes and then weekend warriors too when developing a system designed to get people active?

Well my wife does something similar, she "warms-up" on a tread mill or bike, get heart rate well above 100 then starts workout on Garmin FR for 30 minutes, scores 300 points every time.