Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

My week's 2200 points. Regular workouts, but nothing out of the ordinary.

As @JCZA said, the target is actually easily attainable- all the incessant moaning is a bit over the top.

You managed to do a long ride on a holiday Wednesday and get good points, take that out of the equation and put in 100 points for a normal week, you max would be 800... and this is what people are saying, as soon as your points are 800 or even 1200 you will be struggling to get enough points unless you change your training .... and if you are on a training program are you going to mess with it so that you hit vitality points requirements? Unlikely!

Now add in the financial aspect of the watch, gym booster, flights... irrespective of smoothies... expect the moaning to become really intense... else work arounds and blatant cheating to occur... and the clean data discovery is after will be pie in the sky stuff... as well as a likely massive drop off in vitality clients engaging

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You managed to do a long ride on a holiday Wednesday and get good points, take that out of the equation and put in 100 points for a normal week, you max would be 800... and this is what people are saying, as soon as your points are 800 or even 1200 you will be struggling to get enough points unless you change your training .... and if you are on a training program are you going to mess with it so that you hit vitality points requirements? Unlikely!

Now add in the financial aspect of the watch, gym booster, flights... irrespective of smoothies... expect the moaning to become really intense... else work arounds and blatant cheating to occur... and the clean data discovery is after will be pie in the sky stuff... as well as a likely massive drop off in vitality clients engaging

It's true, I got in a long ride on the Wednesday public holiday - but I Will normally do this on a Sunday, so I should not really need to make any changes.

Absolutely. I just bumped into a friend of mine who had just done a park run. She was really down as it saved her last week, but today her points were 100 up again. She does not have the means to buy a HR monitor nor the time to swipe every day at gym - and here's the thing, which is the same as my OH, they do not WANT to have to gyppo. In the same way we enjoy a good KOM, they enjoy their sense of achievement. And through Disco's bungled implementation, I foresee that more will start disengaging.

It's really easy for us sporty folk to judge them, but I suspect the vast majority of Disco people don't have the time, means or inclination to push themselves that hard and they will stop. Especially in the circumstances when previously their exercise was having beneficial results, and was being rewarded, even by something as small as a coffee. (Or a free watch...)

It's true, I got in a long ride on the Wednesday public holiday - but I Will normally do this on a Sunday, so I should not really need to make any changes.

Let's hope you do not get ill or injured or go away for a weekend or on holidays so that you can do your ride every Sunday ;) ... as if you are unable to ride you may well be struggling for points....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Let's hope you do not get ill or injured or go away for a weekend or on holidays so that you can do your ride every Sunday ;) ... as if you are unable to ride you may well be struggling for points....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yip,If I get sick my secretary and driver are screwed. Their smoothie intake is directly dependent on my good health.

Just got my requisite 400 points. 600 points for a 2 hour effort at avg 158bpm. Including a 10 minute rest at the top of the trail. Up till then it was avg 164bpm.

Awesome.

I thought I'd wait til this AM to see what happened to my attempt- turned my Garmin off at 1h25 to keep 300 points but averaged 152bpm. No chance I could train everyday like that though. Got it to 173bpm up a steep rocky section but almost needed a lie down.

I think this has been answered for you a few times. Someone can hardly claim to be working out if they cannot get their HR above 80% for 30 mins a few times a week. If they have the watch then they should just use it to record 30 mins of activity at 80%. If they can't do that then maybe they should not have bought the watch expecting discovery to pay for it.

The issue is that you have to change the way you train. It is nothing to to do above 80% for 30 minutes, however if you are on a training plan that requires 3 - 4 hrs at below 70%, what then.

Yes the easy way is to "manage" the training; in other words do 3 sessions, session 1. Warm up, stop the recording. Them do a quick 30 mins at above 80% then stop the recording. then do a 3rd session to complete the training. 

Yes it is doable, but a lot of PT and the moment you make it PT people will find other ways of cheating the system and then everyone looses.

For me, at the moment, I strap my phone to my leg and bounce it for 1 to 2 hours to make sure I get my 10k steps in. At least I get 100 points per day that way, then I do my training and see where that gets me towards the end of the cycle and do a HIT workout for 30 -45 mins if need be.

So, as I said, it is easy to make it work, but why. There is no benifit for Disco in this. Maar nou ja, as jy dom is moet jy ***.

New target - 600 points. Did a spruit & breakfast cruise for 300 points this morning. Think I'm going to make it. Maybe it helps that I'm old.

Discovery 80% target = aerobic endurance on TrainingPeaks for me so even easy rides are at least 70%.

New target - 600 points. Did a spruit & breakfast cruise for 300 points this morning. Think I'm going to make it. Maybe it helps that I'm old.

Discovery 80% target = aerobic endurance on TrainingPeaks for me so even easy rides are at least 70%.

Disco 80% is my actual 75%. Easy for me too.

And yes, it's supposed to be a challenge. Otherwise it'd be pointless

Was a duplicate post but just saw previous post stating that achieving targets will be PT. isn't that the point??

Apparently not. It would seem that Disco are such a bunch of ###ts for actually making us sweat a little AND fit in with their requirements. How unreasonable.

This would never work for a person like me.  Sometimes I travel for a week a month and no time to excercise, and other weeks I'm back in Cape Town and ride every single day.    Hell, I jog most evenings, but this sounds like complete bull****.

I'll just tay fit and healthy and buy the things like watches, flights and the like.  I dont go into gyms (hate the thought of having to train indoors when we live in a city like Cape Town), so realistically it seems like a narrow set of parameters with ever changing goal posts.

And everyone training their balls off to get a free smoothie?    Seriously?  All that PT for a R25 drink loaded with sugar?    If the bar is that low for most to be motivated, I have no idea why SA middle management is so freaking unproductive.

//rant

This would never work for a person like me. Sometimes I travel for a week a month and no time to excercise, and other weeks I'm back in Cape Town and ride every single day. Hell, I jog most evenings, but this sounds like complete bull****.

I'll just tay fit and healthy and buy the things like watches, flights and the like. I dont go into gyms (hate the thought of having to train indoors when we live in a city like Cape Town), so realistically it seems like a narrow set of parameters with ever changing goal posts.

And everyone training their balls off to get a free smoothie? Seriously? All that PT for a R25 drink loaded with sugar? If the bar is that low for most to be motivated, I have no idea why SA middle management is so freaking unproductive.

//rant

If you have an approved device, it is possible for this to work for a person like you.

I was in China for 10 days. No gym, no bike, just my Garmin and the strap. Climbing stairs is one check of a workout, so too is running when it's not my core means of training. To stay (relatively) fit, I engaged in some boer-maak-n-plan workouts. And that was 2014 (long before Discovery implemented this system).

Apply the mind, it's not that hard to do a 30 minute vigorous workout. Is it good, all the time? Now that's a topic worth debating.

Looks like the R3200 i save per annum paying vitality is going to go towards my new watch...this year.

Next year the money will go towards my British passport application...and the year after towards my plane ticket to visit my family who have already left and living the UK.

Maybe i should apply for the disco credit card use it as a saving account...the interest rate should be pretty good [emoji12]

Looks like the R3200 i save per annum paying vitality is going to go towards my new watch...this year.

Next year the money will go towards my British passport application...and the year after towards my plane ticket to visit my family who have already left and living the UK.

Maybe i should apply for the disco credit card use it as a saving account...the interest rate should be pretty good [emoji12]

Whatever you decide that is your choice!

There are many here who have embraced the vitality system and made it work for them and are making money out of it, through not only the vitality points rewards but savings on shopping, accommodation, flights, reduced premiums to name but a few.

Many have tried to guide and show you how to get the best out of it... you deride the advice and even mock some who prove it can work with them detailing their own personal endeavours and circumstances.

I guess when you are disgruntled you can only see the negatives.

Cool, it does not work for you, so enjoy your watch and possible holiday... but please do not think you are getting the best deal by not embracing vitality and saving money for use elsewhere... perhaps that money would be better used to sort out your Di2 problems?

Whilst you quote a saving of R3200, personally Discovery have paid me back close to R7000 this year already and I have not even looked at spending all the discovery miles accumulated... but that is just me working the system and the vitality partners :)