Discovery Health - Vitality & Team Vitality plus everything else you need to know

Thanks for the feedback Myles, it's a joke really. It's the one thing I was properly excited about.

Your typing should probably also slow down :P

Whilst they have not introduced the flights freebie yet.... because of VAR and Vitality ethos buy in/game and the money back etc am using my Disco credit card more (as a debit card as always pay it off) at the relevant partners (especially where you get multipliers)... so much so that have paid for My East London and PE flights for ironman with Disco miles  :thumbup:  :D

Plus the discount on flights and accommodation!!

Edited by shaper

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to have a good look at my entire life and short term insurance to see if Discovery it still worth it, did the calcs 4 years ago and was happy. 

Now with these changes in goals, false promises, change in cash back on shopping it gets tricky. 

However, we have saved a bunch this year on flights and hotel which was a lot more comfortable and convenient than what we would have gotten at that price. 

It also helps having friends on momentem etc, so when you go away, you get the best deal on flights, accomodation and car rental from all the providers! 

Like our weekend in Nelspruit:

Flights: Kulula/disco discount CPT/JHB R1550 *RRP R2300

Car hire: H1 for 4 days Momentum - R800 PP (4 peeps) *RRP R1250

Accommodation: 3 nights family lodge - disco R800 PP (4 Peeps) *RRP R1600

4 days away riding bikes with mates for 3500 - deal. 

Jock Classique done over the weekend, 3000 achieved... looking forward to enjoying a rest week :)

Im still waiting for my 1500 points, will see later in the week.  For now i received 600 as i recorded each stage

Im still waiting for my 1500 points, will see later in the week.  For now i received 600 as i recorded each stage

I recorded each of the 3 stages as 1 ride to make sure i got over 210mins @80% as I know discovery will only give points for 1 activity a day.  Is probably why you only got 600.

At the end of each stage I hit lap counter then stop, switched off the garmin for the stops between each stage, then switched garmin on again for the next stage and continued (without saving and resetting).  The lap counter gives me a reference point for the end of each stage and will be within a couple of seconds of actual time which can check on racetec website as they gave individual stage results as well as overall.

Edit:  Might be worth dropping an email to discovery with screen shots of the 3 stages and telling them you did the Jock and they can check racetec results... so that you get the full points rather than just for one of the stages

Edited by shaper

I recorded each of the 3 stages as 1 ride to make sure i got over 210mins @80% as I know discovery will only give points for 1 activity a day.  Is probably why you only got 600.

At the end of each stage I hit lap counter then stop, switched off the garmin for the stops between each stage, then switched garmin on again for the next stage and continued (without saving and resetting).  The lap counter gives me a reference point for the end of each stage and will be within a couple of seconds of actual time which can check on racetec website as they gave individual stage results as well as overall.

Edit:  Might be worth dropping an email to discovery with screen shots of the 3 stages and telling them you did the Jock and they can check racetec results... so that you get the full points rather than just for one of the stages

That is why i said i will give it a few days, the jock is on their race calendar and i should get my 1500 points once they receive the data. if its not loaded it will give them a call later this week.  Not to worried about it in any case, only need 1000 points this week and im already on 900. Gym swipe tomorrow and im good :D .  Will just be interesting to see if they award me the 1500 points

Edit:  Was planning on recording like you explained as well (fenix makes it easier with its "resume later" option) but once i saw it on their calendar i thought i really dont have to (also want to create routes of stages to use on the trainer)

Edited by Oxter

That is why i said i will give it a few days, the jock is on their race calendar and i should get my 1500 points once they receive the data. if its not loaded it will give them a call later this week.  Not to worried about it in any case, only need 1000 points this week and im already on 900. Gym swipe tomorrow and im good :D .  Will just be interesting to see if they award me the 1500 points

Edit:  Was planning on recording like you explained as well (fenix makes it easier with its "resume later" option) but once i saw it on their calendar i thought i really dont have to (also want to create routes of stages to use on the trainer)

Cool, I see it is... wonder if there was any cash back as does not say so on the Disco webpage?

Also see they have added a few more cycle races for the rest of the year!!

When do they normally pay back the Gym Booster money. I achieved my points for 5 weeks in a row after activating it at the end of May.

When do they normally pay back the Gym Booster money. I achieved my points for 5 weeks in a row after activating it at the end of May.

End of the month following that for which you get a discount, so end July / beginning august in your case.

I recorded each of the 3 stages as 1 ride to make sure i got over 210mins @80% as I know discovery will only give points for 1 activity a day. Is probably why you only got 600.

At the end of each stage I hit lap counter then stop, switched off the garmin for the stops between each stage, then switched garmin on again for the next stage and continued (without saving and resetting). The lap counter gives me a reference point for the end of each stage and will be within a couple of seconds of actual time which can check on racetec website as they gave individual stage results as well as overall.

Edit: Might be worth dropping an email to discovery with screen shots of the 3 stages and telling them you did the Jock and they can check racetec results... so that you get the full points rather than just for one of the stages

917bbcf67d94303c40eb4cfed7c19493.png

I got given 3000 :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recorded each of the 3 stages as 1 ride to make sure i got over 210mins @80% as I know discovery will only give points for 1 activity a day. Is probably why you only got 600.

At the end of each stage I hit lap counter then stop, switched off the garmin for the stops between each stage, then switched garmin on again for the next stage and continued (without saving and resetting). The lap counter gives me a reference point for the end of each stage and will be within a couple of seconds of actual time which can check on racetec website as they gave individual stage results as well as overall.

Edit: Might be worth dropping an email to discovery with screen shots of the 3 stages and telling them you did the Jock and they can check racetec results... so that you get the full points rather than just for one of the stages

That is why i said i will give it a few days, the jock is on their race calendar and i should get my 1500 points once they receive the data. if its not loaded it will give them a call later this week. Not to worried about it in any case, only need 1000 points this week and im already on 900. Gym swipe tomorrow and im good :D . Will just be interesting to see if they award me the 1500 points

Edit: Was planning on recording like you explained as well (fenix makes it easier with its "resume later" option) but once i saw it on their calendar i thought i really dont have to (also want to create routes of stages to use on the trainer)

To combine two or more files into one, download the "original" files from GC. They will be zipped, so first unzip;

Then go to www.fitfiletools.com;

Click on "File Combiner";

Upload the unzipped FIT files and click go;

It will join all multiple files into one file;

Download the new file;

Delete the original files in GC otherwise the next step won't work;

Upload to GC;

It will then override the previous upload to Discovery and you'll get the full points, providing your HR is above 80% for all stages.

Some call it "gaming", but it only works with FIT files and merely joins multiple files together. Use it, don't use it.

Discovery Vitality update

Get your clients moving with our new ways to earn Vitality points

Helping your clients reach their personal health goals is hugely important to us and we value that they’ve chosen to partner with Vitality on their wellness journeys.

Over 200 000 Vitality members have signed up for Vitality Active Rewards since it was launched late last year and the results have exceeded our expectations. Vitality Active Rewards members have increased their physical activity by more than 25% and are enjoying their weekly rewards.

From Saturday, 20 August 2016 we will be adding more ways to earn Vitality fitness points. These enhancements are based on our analysis of the member experience, as well as member feedback we have received over the past few months. Our upcoming enhancements aim to positively challenge and motivate your clients to further engage in Vitality Active Rewards. We saw that certain changes we made earlier this year frustrated some of your clients, and we are truly sorry for this.

These changes will mean a more personalised fitness experience while staying true to the evolving science that guides our programme and highlights our commitment to encouraging safe ways to exercise.

What your clients can expect from Saturday, 20 August 2016:

Earn points by taking part in timed and verified race events locally or internationally. This applies to all cycling, walking/running, swimming and major multisport events

For members who are just starting out, we're re-introducing the popular 50 points category for tracking 5 000 steps a day

There will be new heart rate points categories for workouts between 60 - 69% and 70 - 79% of age-related maximum heart rate

We’ve got a new category for Endurance and High Performance to enable points earning for longer duration workouts

The weekly maximum goal will be lowered to 900 points (from 1 200) for all Vitality Active Rewards members (excluding those in the new Endurance and High Performance category). The weekly maximum goal will remain 600 points for at-risk members with certain chronic conditions, health concerns during pregnancy or members aged 65+ with risk factors.

These changes are in addition to the recent fitness device updates that included the full integration of Fitbit HR and SUUNTO devices, as well as the integration of TomTom later this year.

View the ways to earn Vitality fitness points from Saturday, 20 August 2016.

We look forward to your clients’ continued wellness journeys as they get active an

Well it's going to be interesting to see how they determine the endurance and performance groups.