Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

One can only imagine how many positives would come up if SAIDS had the budget and resources to test with the necessary frequency to stamp this out. It is difficult to side with those athletes who declare themselves to be drug-free, only to find out they are tested positive. My sympathy lies with those who use their god-given talents alone to take themselves to the top of their respective sports. They may never get there in a drug-fueled society. 

There could be a particularly useful strategy to aid the fair-play athletes. Any sanctioned athlete should be required to pay a substantial fine to SAIDS, the proceeds of which should be used to improve testing. The sanction alone is not sufficient. 

That is why the big races, Epic, W2W, S2C need to fund SAIDS to fight this.  It takes money and man power.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is why the big races, Epic, W2W, S2C need to fund SAIDS to fight this.  It takes money and man power.

or just ban the dopers for life...which is what they are doing...Have to give them credit for that. 

I did not read the whole thread . . 

I am not saying she did not anything wrong. 

BUT

How old is Yolande de Villiers? Not like she is 22-years old?

Many combination blood pressure medications contains HCTZ or other diuretics.

Older women and water retention goes hand in hand.  (No pun intended)

But then on her level of competition, I suppose she and her doctors should know better. 

Edited by IH8MUD

Hey.. this is not so easy.. see celestamine is prohibited during competition so say someone get stung by a bee or eats shellfish at a restaurant and its during a stage race and has never before had a reaction but just as luck would have it gets a reaction and take a celestamine and the gets tested later that evening. .white and black that person then took a prohibited substance no?

Hey.. this is not so easy.. see celestamine is prohibited during competition so say someone get stung by a bee or eats shellfish at a restaurant and its during a stage race and has never before had a reaction but just as luck would have it gets a reaction and take a celestamine and the gets tested later that evening. .white and black that person then took a prohibited substance no?

Yes sure, I agree, but isn't that why you get an opportunity to contest?

Edited by N-I-N-J-A

Yes sure, I agree, but isn't that why you get an opportunity to contest?

There is probably something like an emergency TUE?

Edit

There is on the TUE form there is an option where you can tick emergency treatment

Edited by Gen

True, thats why the mechanical doping case is interesting as its the first time its happened, time to set a precedent.

If a lifetime ban is handed out in that case I highly doubt people would consider mechanical doping.

Well yes and no. I certainly think the mechanical doping case will be interesting but remember there's a rather large difference between that case and cases like these. Principally with regular doping the UCI/Governing body (CSA for Yolanda) has to act within measures prescribed by WADA, with the mechanical doping it'll only be their own rules that'll apply so getting a life ban ruling on it should in theory be easier.

I'm to scared to get banned so I check alles. Even had my doc change the injection he wanted to give me for a sore shoulder (rotor cuff)

edit: and alcohol is only prohibited IN competition so whatever they find will be from carbo loading

Exactly so you go through the hassle to check your meds and play fair. So how do you feel about the guy in front of you who might have taken an Advil for a snotty nose the morning of the race beating you? You might think ah but I finished 100th so no big deal but still that person has doped. There might be 90 other people in front of you that's also taken something on the banned list.

The playing field should be level. Rules are rules and we all have to play accordingly no matter if we are pro or weekend warrior.

agreed but often you get to the pharmacy to pick up your meds and they tell you "ooops we'reout of stock on the prescription meds but we have a generic......."

You say " is it the same stuff?" 

They say " Yes its just not made by the same company and its cheaper so its easier on your medical savings"

and therein lies the makings of the next Bikehub Friday Saga

If you are a pro athlete, you generally have a relationship with your pharmacist and doctor. Your pharmacist will know you are a pro and would warn you about any possible issues around the medication. As a pro you should also ask the questions! 

So using the pharmacist excuse won't work (well it has for one person) 

Exactly so you go through the hassle to check your meds and play fair. So how do you feel about the guy in front of you who might have taken an Advil for a snotty nose the morning of the race beating you? You might think ah but I finished 100th so no big deal but still that person has doped. There might be 90 other people in front of you that's also taken something on the banned list.

The playing field should be level. Rules are rules and we all have to play accordingly no matter if we are pro or weekend warrior.

Yep and agree....

There is only budget to test the contenders though so us weekend warriors must make peace with that...

Unless you are prepared to pay 5 grand to do a nissan race....then everyone can get tested.

It will be your responsibility to inform the necessary people immediately after taking such medication. And the right thing to do is to withdraw from the race. 

I'm done with competing this is f******g BS. Just missed the podium at Karkloof 2014, surely would have been on it if the dopers were absent.

It will be your responsibility to inform the necessary people immediately after taking such medication. And the right thing to do is to withdraw from the race.

No you apply for an emergency TUE

Imagine if someone travelled from Europe and spent a boat load entering and getting to the Epic and then had a shellfish allergy or got stung by a bee the night after the first day..and then you really expect him to withdraw from the event?

Plenty of judges here. Tell me honestly how many of you check the medication that your using against the WADA banned list? You will be surprised how many of your medication actually contain banned substances. How many of you use high blood pressure medication and those that do have you applied for TUE? If not your a doper just like the rest of the people caught. You may not be competing for a podium but doper you are none the less.

The difference is they are professionals. As in, this is their profession. Their job is to study the list and know what is going into their bodies. If they go to a doctor and can't be bothered to either get them to cross reference the list or check it themselves then they aren't fulfilling the criteria of their profession.

Not speaking in favour of any athlete....hulle is vuil bliksems in elkgeval....and I know that being ignorant it's not  case of defense....but what if they just simply trust the doctor or their manager...and how clued up are these medical professionals really on what the UCI have decided is banned even when the athlete informs them...as for the athletes...how diligent are they really...most of us if we were to be brutally honest will admit that no matter what we do we don't always sit with a fine tooth comb and nitpick everything before we act on it....

It's lekker to sit here on The Hub and play groot meneer....lekker grootbek opinions (not referring to you just because I quoted you) yet at home things are not all that perfect either...as I said earlier...every single person sitting here saying that they have no sympathy doing events with a license...temporary or yearly.....need to take a look at themselves and be honest that when they are ill and see the doctor to they simply just take what was described...or simply just take the docs word for it....as much as these pro's need to take responsibility....so should all of us and that includes the moral high horse cowboys.....ROLL ON FRIDAY....

This is whats wrong with this country