Yolande de Villiers sanctioned for anti-doping rule violation

News bot

That's a false analogy, Hennie.

What is your argument, exactly? Are you proposing that rules on violations be relaxed for professionals or that amateurs be subjected to more stringent testing?

No, rules on violations for professionals should not be relaxed and testing for amateurs is not financially viable (but if testing on armatures would be done more frequently a lot more people will test positive because they don't care to check what they put in their bodies). 

My argument is simple: We cannot flame professional cyclist/athletes for doping if we as armatures dope ourselves. Yes we are on two different levels but we must all play according to the same rules. It's as simple as that. So check your meds and supplements, if they contain banned substances ask your doctor for alternatives or apply for a TEU.

Maybe if we as amateurs take anti doping more seriously then the pro's will notice it and also follow suit.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without testing / policing everybody its a bit of a pipe dream don't you think, making it fair across all participants in a race.  

Again focus where the issue is....the pro's 

Ja i dunno... even amongst the rank and file it has benefits... If people know the rules are being enforced they tend to obey them and might think twice / take more care

Sure, the authorities should focus on the pointy end but the occasional test further down the pile wont do any harm.

If I have to be honest....someone asks me "what irritates you the most....doping athletes or people with double standards" my answer would be the double standards...it almost sounds like this from some of the responses I have read "They can't dope because they are pro's but I can because I am not"

Heck.....I wouldn't be surprised if we get people doping just to even feature on Strava leader boards.....

You not going to "fix" the world....people will  be people...

Start with the greater evil that is possible to fix

Ja i dunno... even amongst the rank and file it has benefits... If people know the rules are being enforced they tend to obey them and might think twice / take more care

Sure, the authorities should focus on the pointy end but the occasional test further down the pile wont do any harm.

Sure, I am just saying that 1 false test in the elite bunch is worth more than a positive in b-batch. Use the resources at your disposal wisely

You not going to "fix" the world....people will  be people...

Start with the greater evil that is possible to fix

That greater evil being every single one of us....it's simple...if we want change...let the cahnge begin within...

If I may quote another hubber 'HennieVR'

"Maybe if we as amateurs take anti doping more seriously then the pro's will notice it and also follow suit"

So i wouldnt say double standards, if a amateur purposely takes EPO (or what ever) to better himself i would put him in the same bracket as the pros that steal money form other cyclists. (or whatever sport)

But as amateur i say dont go read every medicine bottles little boekie and then go google everything and spend 2 days investigating the meds (and hopefully you ahve not died in those 2 days) before taking anything because you doing the trailseekers 20km funride this coming weekend.

but hey if thats double standards, i also eat the double whopper at burgerking...

edit, spelling

Edited by lerouc

Was going to ask this question,  but from a slightly different point of view. ..

Did the Epic a few years ago, and got myself a very decent cold by the Wednesday. . Was given panado by the medics to bring down the fever. On the Thursday at the waterpoint medic tents I was given Advil. 

So the question is what is the legality of this? If I had been tested would I have been banned?

And no, it didn't help my performance as we came 515th out of 520 something finishers!

Tom

Yes, if your were tested you would have probably received a ban.

If you took the medicine and reported it and applied for a TUE then you would probably have been cleared because you had reason for taking the meds.

But you should not have been riding with a flue/cold. I know it's a lot of money to waste but surely your health is much more important.

Sorry Yolande that this had to happen to you!!

It is very unfortunate that the sport we love is in the state it is and that it has come to a point that things like this can happen to the honest ones and that they must pay for the real cheats out there.

The rules are the rules and we all have to follow them. Many people on here seem to think athletes are not human and they not allowed to make mistakes.

Worse thing is how people react...so many lies that the golden rule now is believe nobody and just go ahead and crucify.

The list of banned substances has gotten out of hand and it is not going to get easier. Half the stuff on it has no real effect on performance but if its linked to something that might be used to mask or might cause weight loss or or or...it goes on. 

But in the end it's all about cleaning up our sport......

So the 60yr old Oom riding a 7hour 94.7 must get a TUE for his heart meds...

That makes so much of sense  :blink:

I'm just replying so as to repeat this post... because there are a few people on here that think the Oom shouldn't be allowed to ride his 7hour Cycle Challenge because he is a doper.  :D  :D  :D

The 60 yr old Oom and Brandon Stewart are two peas in a pod

Filthy filthy cheats everywhere  :clap:

Not naive actually. Why are you reading this thread? Are you thinking "Wow Yolande is a doper" ...............but you might be one as well? 

I don't care what medicine your using or why your using it but if you want to really be fair to those around you then you should be either checking your meds or get the doctor to check it and apply for a TUE or change your stance regarding doping and say it's ok to dope.

I am thinking don't dope. I am thinking, that all cyclists that are sponsored, paid to race, no matter what age or category should know what they put in their bodies, and what they are not allowed to. The banned substance list is there because of them... not because of the people riding bottom 20% of the pack like me. 

Taking a substance for your normal health or a cold or flue, etc, as a weekend warrior (maybe doing 4 weekend races during a year), without knowing it's on the banned list, is NOT doping. There most definitely are grey areas. It's okay for a bottom of the pack (far behind midfield) to use his inhaler just to be breath; it's not okay for a podium fighter to use same thing if it's on the banned list. BTW - I won't have a problem IF they test me, and I am positive; I will gladly take the ban. It's not going to hurt me or anyone.  

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with anyone taking a banned performance enhancing substance knowingly (say for ex EPO), but I do differentiate between that and other substances which are ingredients in everyday over the counter medicines which is being used by someone doing a "race / weekend-ride-with-other-people". I don't go to a GP ever. Neither will I, just to check some meds I bought at Clicks, just to be able to do the trailseeker knowing I am 'clean', that happens to be on my doorstep that weekend. 

I will continue to judge the pro's that dope - they should know better. I don't have to. Yes, sure, if you see that as double standards, it's fine. I don't though. 

All hypothetical of-course - I personally don't do races and am fairly healthy.  

No you apply for an emergency TUE

Imagine if someone travelled from Europe and spent a boat load entering and getting to the Epic and then had a shellfish allergy or got stung by a bee the night after the first day..and then you really expect him to withdraw from the event?

Gen, as somebody that has been in the position I can tell you. Withdraw or apply for Emergency treatment TUE.

Now here is a cracker for you, I am highly allergic to bee stings and have been through immunization treatment. I have anti histamine and/or an epi pen with me most of the time.  

Another sport and a long time ago. 

I competed in SA Champs and finished on the podium, it was qualifier for World Champs. As I completed the event I was met by SAIDS and informed to do a drug control. While walking to Doping Control I was stung, in sight of doping control agent. Big dilemma, use any prohibited substances and DQ myself or not? No podium and no World Champs. 

I was lucky enough to be able to complete the doping control quickly enough before the severe reaction began and was then able to administer the required medicine and be monitored by race paramedics.  Tests came back all clean and all is well that ends well. 

I have subsequently be stung in an event took appropriate medical action, got to the nearest support station and informed them I has withdrawing and the reason for the withdrawal.

Anybody that has coughed a lung up for EPIC and are in a similar situation you have a choice. Race or do not race. If you choose to race, get tested and  have a positive without the requisite approvals. You are a doper, intent aside. Them be the rules, harsh or not.  

I'm just replying so as to repeat this post... because there are a few people on here that think the Oom shouldn't be allowed to ride his 7hour Cycle Challenge because he is a doper.  :D  :D  :D

AFAIK The Argus is not a UCI sanctioned event....so no....

Did you miss my reply to that post?

So the 60yr old Oom riding a 7hour 94.7 must get a TUE for his heart meds...

That makes so much of sense  :blink:

Agreed.

Guys on the podium, and guys that are sponsored: test, get TUE, etc.

Guys finishing a 7 hour 94.7: do not care.

But where do we draw the line?  Do we draw it after the A batch?  After D?  And how do we consistently apply this across races?

Maybe the problem is in the 94.7 marketing.  It's a race -- a serious race with prize money -- at the pointy end, it's a carnival at the back end.  Maybe 94.7 should split between "race" and "grand fondo" and "carnival" events (possibly still on the same day.)

The back end of the 94.7 ignores a bunch of UCI rules on kit and equipment already.  I'm pretty sure the CHOC (and I support CHOC) ice cream bikes aren't UCI compliant.  They might as well ignore WADA.

You are of course 100% correct in what you are saying....most of us will agree, I know I do....but that logic does smack of double standards....what a fickle animal we are.....

It's not double standards for the simple reason there are in fact two categories... Amateurs and professionals.

Just because CSA fleeces us for a license, does not change the fact that 95% of us are there just to spin out the legs and enjoy the fresh air.

If you are a serious cyclist, you know the rules, you know to do your checks... if you are the old Oom entering the Cycle Challenge because it's better that kicking tyres around an age old home, I don't care the slightest that your blood pressure meds might be used to mask doping at the Tour de France, I'm just happy to see you out there getting healthy and living your life.

It's common sense, such a rare commodity these days