Two cyclists killed in KZN

Vetseun

Does it not make sense to ride on the opposite side of the road so you can see cars/trucks coming towards you - drunk or busy on phone or veering.There is no disadvantage to motorists at all as the cyclist takes the same space whether he is travelling toward the traffic or away from it.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it not make sense to ride on the opposite side of the road so you can see cars/trucks coming towards you - drunk or busy on phone or veering.There is no disadvantage to motorists at all as the cyclist takes the same space whether he is travelling toward the traffic or away from it.

That is almost ridiculously dangerous and has been covered many times. 

Hi Spannervalley - welcome to bikehub

As intern says, this topic has been covered & debated numerous on other threads on thehub. The general concensus is that it is not a very sound idea.

Your opening line hits the nail on the head. It does NOT make sense.

A truck going past pulls you with it.....riding the opposite direction it'll pull you into the road and traffic.

Consider that a cyclist almost travels twice the speed of a runner. Consider that we need to flow with traffic in order to obstruct it as little as possible. Consider that drivers are on the road following a system of traffic that says keep left pass right and their anticipation of events that happen whilst they are behind the wheel are focussed on traffic moving WITH them.

If you choose to cycle against traffic, you make the difference in speed between you and cars 300% greater as you are travelling towards them. Their reaction times AND YOURS are now a third of what they would be if you were riding with traffic. Every junction road becomes a hazard as the traffic system does not make allowances for someone moving in the opposite direction on the road. Drivers will look right and if they see no traffic simply pull out in front of you especially if they are turning left. Every single instance of this will be unexpected and filled with danger.

The simplest solution to being able to see what is coming up behind you costs roughly R130 and is available almost everywhere. It weighs nothing, so you wont be adding stupid weight to your bike. It is the single best thing you can do for cycling safety. I have been riding with one for over 2 years now and refuse to leave home without it. The amount of times it has saved my @ss when I'm hammering along a stretch where there is not much shoulder so I have to concentrate on the immediate road in front of me and I've been able to glance down to see what is coming up behind me and either claim more of the road or take evasive action off the road altogether because of someone dangerous coming from behind. The only other sacrifice you have to make is that you can't pretend to look all pro cool when you're sporting a mirror, but I prefer the safety of being able to glance down to see behind me. The model below fits into the bars at the end of the drops. Make sure you fasten it properly or the mirror will keep moving when you go over bumps whilst riding.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/cateye-road-bike-mirror/4011

Edited by Tubehunter

So i havent gotten time to read through this post but i hope the driver was arrested and tested for alcohol...

RIP to our fellow cyclists... and sad thing is the driver ALWAYS gets away with this!!!

I just hope one day we can get justice done (generally speaking)

This is a shocker to me as was the hit in Port elizabeth few years ago (which was the worst case i ever knew of and i was told the driver got off).

Talking of such... anybody knows what happened there? The cyclist killed was an accountant from PE.

So I'm riding with traffic on a narrow road and you approach against traffic, will you veer out with a vehicle approaching and get smacked head on or must I and get hit from behind.  

So I'm riding with traffic on a narrow road and you approach against traffic, will you veer out with a vehicle approaching and get smacked head on or must I and get hit from behind.  

This idea has been debated before - how will you turn and cross intersections if you are riding in to oncoming traffic.

Plus its totally illegal.

So who is in for the Memorial ride ?

Got clearance so I will be there !

Just hope it doesn't include the M4!

Can you share the route?

It's not my place to comment on what actually happened at the Berge en Dale, but once all the facts are known, the story reported on in the article will be somewhat different to what actually happened.

That R24 is sketchy at the best of times. Full of trucks and taxis.