29er Dual Suspension Bike weights

awesme

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread revive.

How light are dual-dus frames? Thinking of changing my hardtail frame to a dually and just swopping parts over. But it is hard to find info on the webs...

Depends on what you're looking at. Carbon DS frames are between 1800gr to 2200gr without rear shock.

Hardtails are 800gr to 1100gr  so about a kilo difference.

Alloy DS frames are around 250gr to a full kilo heavier than their carbon equivalent. Not many MTB companies take their Alloy bikes seriously enough to warrant the R&D into making them lighter. Giant is probably the brand with the least difference in weight between the carbon and alloy versions of the same frame. e.g. Anthem Pro frame vs Anthem is only around 250gr difference. 

All these superlight bike weights makes my stomach roll. Rather ask the questions: "What does your bike weigh with you on top?" I just can't see the point of a 80kg bloke riding around on a 8kg hardtail...

IMHO.

So I will start. Me and my Giant Anthem Advanced 29er together weigh 90kg.

Edited by dee_biker

All these superlight bike weights makes my stomach roll. Rather ask the questions: "What does your bike weigh with you on top?" I just can't see the point of a 80kg bloke riding around on a 8kg hardtail...

IMHO.

So I will start. Me and my Giant Anthem Advanced 29er together weigh 90kg.

I have a Silverback Sido 1. With myself and bottles etc etc ...92Kg

you guys need to eat a pie or two

I reckon about 100kg or so. Me and my bike in birthday suits about 93kg. Then add all the clothes, shoes, drinks, food, protective gear and toolkit and I reckon it'll be pretty close to a nice round 100kg.

Bit less on my XC bike and a bit more on the Enduro bike (usually a lot more protective gear too)

Edited by Jehosefat

98 naked body 

+ 5kg of Shoes and clothes

+ 14.2 Anthem 29 -  With Bottle cage, and Dropper Post, and Crossmark LUST Tyres) 

+ 5kg Backpack  - full stocked with enough spares for a a solo expedition

+ .075kg water bottle

= 122.95kg

.... Freak!!!! no wonder I keep getting dropped while riding!!!

That’s basically 2 Justin Beabers and an e-bike. [emoji51]

89 kg here. Bike is not the lightest.

LOL!!!!!

• 3 years later...

Wanting to keep a consistent thread. 
A few years on from the last post, I would be keen to hear what dual sus bikes are coming in at. 
I’m currently riding a Large stock standard Scott Spark 920 (2018) that weighs about 13.5kg with XTR pedals and 2 bottle cages. I’m considering the Titan Cypher Pro which will probably land on around 12kg or just over with same pedals and bottle cages. For the R50k price differential (more or less) my head says it isn’t worth it, but my heart still wants it. 

Note I don’t consider myself a weight weenie BUT I do feel that paying a premium for a MTB should at least give you a decent saving on weight… (“decent” is of course subjective)

2 hours ago, Mattman said:

Wanting to keep a consistent thread. 
A few years on from the last post, I would be keen to hear what dual sus bikes are coming in at. 
I’m currently riding a Large stock standard Scott Spark 920 (2018) that weighs about 13.5kg with XTR pedals and 2 bottle cages. I’m considering the Titan Cypher Pro which will probably land on around 12kg or just over with same pedals and bottle cages. For the R50k price differential (more or less) my head says it isn’t worth it, but my heart still wants it. 

Note I don’t consider myself a weight weenie BUT I do feel that paying a premium for a MTB should at least give you a decent saving on weight… (“decent” is of course subjective)

On a bike it's important to see what the rotational weight and static weight difference is .

I had a 910 Spark weight just under 13kg and it really didn't feel lively and then had a spin on a aluminium Anthem roughly the same weight but with a good set of carbon wheels and lighter tyres and it really felt much faster/better.