29er Dual Suspension Bike weights

awesme

On 10/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, dee_biker said:

All these superlight bike weights makes my stomach roll. Rather ask the questions: "What does your bike weigh with you on top?" I just can't see the point of a 80kg bloke riding around on a 8kg hardtail...

IMHO.

So I will start. Me and my Giant Anthem Advanced 29er together weigh 90kg.

It does'nt Work Like That.

A Lighter Bicycle can benefit the Light Weight Rider as Well as the Heavyweight when riding a flat surface or Climbing a Hill.

Lighter Wheels and Tyres can also benefit both Light Weight Rider and Heavy Weight Rider.

When Riding Downhill ???

Edited by dasilvarsa

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowel movements and a good diet is far better than trying to weight watch a bicycle frame

Light frames don't help you climb either, the design of the frame does. Same for the down stuff but gravity can assist the more... generous riders

Personally, if you could shed 50% of the frames weight by changing out the components etc then I say go for it. But we don't in a real world

Lightweight also means reduced strength and the likes. When you're a pro it doesn't matter if you trash a light weight set of expensive carbon rims for the marginal weight loss gain

Refer back to point #1

To add to this thread, my slakline weighs about 15.5kg and it RIPS going down. Also it is a well designed frame, and it climbs pretty lekka, all things considered. Also even if it weighs 4kg more than a light xc bike, that just means that I must get fitter to climb the same speed. You should see the expressions of guys on their xc bikes when I blow past them on the climb.

Also a lot of people complain about bike weight, but I highly doubt that anyone is at the point where they can shed no more weight without negatively affecting their health.

Light bikes ftw! Currently have an alu giant anthem with carbon hoops. Probably around 12 kg.  Would love a lighter carbon dual suss…

I am at the point where I am struggling to shed more weight of myself, so the bike is the next best option😁

5 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

On a bike it's important to see what the rotational weight and static weight difference is .

I had a 910 Spark weight just under 13kg and it really didn't feel lively and then had a spin on a aluminium Anthem roughly the same weight but with a good set of carbon wheels and lighter tyres and it really felt much faster/better. 

Agreed. Hoping the carbon rims will make a larger marginal difference. HOWEVER, feel and actual performance can be 2 different things. So while you feel faster on the anthem with carbon rims, does that translate into riding faster? Strava segments improve? 

19 minutes ago, Mattman said:

Agreed. Hoping the carbon rims will make a larger marginal difference. HOWEVER, feel and actual performance can be 2 different things. So while you feel faster on the anthem with carbon rims, does that translate into riding faster? Strava segments improve? 

That was just a quick spin. But riding the 2 back to back it was easy to feel the one accelerate much easier/faster than the other. The suspension design could also have been a factor. 

I built my new bike with carbon rims and hi engagement hubs. Have only had the bike for about two months and riding much more aggressive rubber and only recently had it set up.

I have bettered on some climbing segments but the big difference is in the feel. The steering is more direct the bike goes where I point it. And the peace of mind with life time warranty and 2 year crash replacement was my main deciding factor as I got tired of replacing alu rims every couple of months. 

2 hours ago, Tyrol said:

I ride a GT 9r Zaskar , weigh in at 9.5

Nice. Thats a hard tail though, right? 

I have a Top fuel 7 and weighs around 15.5, my previous scott Genius was 14kg with pedals but the Trek feels better in the rough stuff.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

Scott spark rc900 wc  - 10.9 with pedals

Pyga Stage - 12.4 with pedals, I'm running an MRP stage fork which is amazing for the downs but a bit heavy. Could be sub 12 if I was running a Fox 32/34 SC.

I don't really bother weighing my bikes since my weight problem has nothing to do with them. To my mind though saving weight on the bike may seem significant as a percentage of its weight but is pretty much insignificant when seen against the total weight you're having to haul along and uphill ... as said unless you're already at 0% body fat it's probably the better place to start.  

Having said that a light bike is a bloody lekker thing to have and ride!

9 minutes ago, babse said:

Keen to see some pics and spec sheet? That's seriously light...

Also interested in knowing what scale you're using, maybe it could boost my w/kg 😋

On 10/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, dee_biker said:

All these superlight bike weights makes my stomach roll. Rather ask the questions: "What does your bike weigh with you on top?" I just can't see the point of a 80kg bloke riding around on a 8kg hardtail...

IMHO.

So I will start. Me and my Giant Anthem Advanced 29er together weigh 90kg.

Well it depends…,

is the 80kg rider a super insulated 65 or 70kg rider? Then no, a light bike isn’t going to help and is the least of said riders problems.

however if 80kg rider is a 80kg rider with little insulation then the lighter bike is going to help because the rider is already optimised in that scenario.

Alot to be said about bike setup on a dual sus long before bike weight will make a difference. Incorrectly calibrated and inflated suspension, tire inflation, seat post height, seat position.

And bike maintenance too: spoke tension, shock oil, state of tires for grip etc etc

And experience too: how willing is the rider to go fast down a trail, or sit on the wheel of a marathon rider cruising through jeep track at 40kmh without seeing the trail ahead.

Id say the same 65kg inside an 80kg body would easily loose endurance and efficiency on these three aspects long before their own and the bikes weight makes a difference.

*Apologies, i realise this is off topic, somehow relevant.