RIFLE

mon-goose

I learnt an expensive and potentially dangerous lesson recently. I have not used the 375 H&H in anger for 2 seasons, so this ammo stayed in their boxes. (Avoided it because of the broken shoulder) So, I was shocked to see the oxidation wherever the rounds touched the cardboard boxes. All I can think is that they must have got a little damp. That definitely did not happen in the safe and we figured out that it must have happened in the veld in a rucksack with a water bottle in one of the pockets. I assume that I then put them back into storage with the boxes still a bit damp........and 2 years later, this was the result. I decided to not use the rounds, but just to satisfy myself that I won't be pulling the points for no good reason, I took to a few of the worst corroded spots with a brass brush............and good grief, I simply could not believe how bad it was! Eye opener indeed! But, at around R100 each, I suppose losing two boxes full was cheap compared to the possible disaster that I avoided!

post-17716-0-67782200-1604814476_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-53787500-1604814494_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where golf is still not an option! But a golf cart to carry your guns on the range is :D

Whats that rifle on the right side?

I learnt an expensive and potentially dangerous lesson recently. I have not used the 375 H&H in anger for 2 seasons, so this ammo stayed in their boxes. (Avoided it because of the broken shoulder) So, I was shocked to see the oxidation wherever the rounds touched the cardboard boxes. All I can think is that they must have got a little damp. That definitely did not happen in the safe and we figured out that it must have happened in the veld in a rucksack with a water bottle in one of the pockets. I assume that I then put them back into storage with the boxes still a bit damp........and 2 years later, this was the result. I decided to not use the rounds, but just to satisfy myself that I won't be pulling the points for no good reason, I took to a few of the worst corroded spots with a brass brush............and good grief, I simply could not believe how bad it was! Eye opener indeed! But, at around R100 each, I suppose losing two boxes full was cheap compared to the possibly disaster that I avoided!

Cardboard is a bastard because it retains the slightest bit of moisture out the air.I learnt that same lesson you did.

I store my ammo in Tupperware dishes that seal and throw a few moisture absorbing containers in the safe.

I learnt an expensive and potentially dangerous lesson recently. I have not used the 375 H&H in anger for 2 seasons, so this ammo stayed in their boxes. (Avoided it because of the broken shoulder) So, I was shocked to see the oxidation wherever the rounds touched the cardboard boxes. All I can think is that they must have got a little damp. That definitely did not happen in the safe and we figured out that it must have happened in the veld in a rucksack with a water bottle in one of the pockets. I assume that I then put them back into storage with the boxes still a bit damp........and 2 years later, this was the result. I decided to not use the rounds, but just to satisfy myself that I won't be pulling the points for no good reason, I took to a few of the worst corroded spots with a brass brush............and good grief, I simply could not believe how bad it was! Eye opener indeed! But, at around R100 each, I suppose losing two boxes full was cheap compared to the possibly disaster that I avoided!

those look like they are shot!  :ph34r:

Cardboard is a bastard because it retains the slightest bit of moisture out the air.I learnt that same lesson you did.

I store my ammo in Tupperware dishes that seal and throw a few moisture absorbing containers in the safe.

I'll remember this tip....

All reloads I keep in plastic ........... I should have removed those expensive factory loads from the cardboard. And, living in Cape Town, I always have a couple of bags of moisture absorbing pellets in the safe.

I learnt an expensive and potentially dangerous lesson recently. I have not used the 375 H&H in anger for 2 seasons, so this ammo stayed in their boxes. (Avoided it because of the broken shoulder) So, I was shocked to see the oxidation wherever the rounds touched the cardboard boxes. All I can think is that they must have got a little damp. That definitely did not happen in the safe and we figured out that it must have happened in the veld in a rucksack with a water bottle in one of the pockets. I assume that I then put them back into storage with the boxes still a bit damp........and 2 years later, this was the result. I decided to not use the rounds, but just to satisfy myself that I won't be pulling the points for no good reason, I took to a few of the worst corroded spots with a brass brush............and good grief, I simply could not believe how bad it was! Eye opener indeed! But, at around R100 each, I suppose losing two boxes full was cheap compared to the possible disaster that I avoided!

You need to spend more time in maintenance....

CZ Scorpion

It’s a cool [emoji41] toy, but the pricing is madness Edited by The Ghost

Apparently the acid used in manufacturing the cardboard is the culprit.It has not been neutralized properly.Interesting.

It’s a cool [emoji41] toy, but the pricing is madness

not compared to bike stuff :mellow:

Can comfortably double tap 2 x 124gr projectiles at slightly over a 1000fps into the 'A zone' of a idpa target from 50m in less than a second.

That's quite handy on a small holding..pretty sure the person on the other end of the pointy object wont think of it as pretty cool toy.

My bike is a toy though :D

Can comfortably double tap 2 x 124gr projectiles at slightly over a 1000fps into the 'A zone' of a idpa target from 50m in less than a second.

That's quite handy on a small holding..pretty sure the person on the other end of the pointy object wont think of it as pretty cool toy.

And ... safety first!

post-5403-0-47251600-1605362778_thumb.jpg

Yup horses for courses, the right tool for the job etc.