SRAM introduces 12-speed Eagle drivetrains

News bot

Very happy with it. You get used to the ring very quickly and I definitely have more traction on technical climbs

Have you tried the normal round ring before the oval ring? If yes, do you find the oval better?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried the normal round ring before the oval ring? If yes, do you find the oval better?

Yip, I was on the round ring for a good 4500 km before going oval. The big differene I have noticed is the traction when climbing. the power delivery is a lot smoother so you have much more grip and control.

As for it behaving like a 32T on climbs and 36T on flats as claimed, that is very difficult to say. I usually ride to the point where my legs burn. Saying that I have had quite a lot of PR's since going oval, but I have been doing big mileage as well. To just give credit to the oval ring is not an accurate statement so cant really say if it made me faster or not...

Why dont they ride tge TdF on 1x gruppos, if it offers such a big advantage?

'cos that's a road race. Road DNE MTB. In road, you may need those closely spaced ratios due to the minute changes in cadence and the need to get it just right, on flat terrain (no rocks etc)

MTB - your cadence changes so damn quickly, the spacing doesn't matter as much. 

Yip, I was on the round ring for a good 4500 km before going oval. The big differene I have noticed is the traction when climbing. the power delivery is a lot smoother so you have much more grip and control.

As for it behaving like a 32T on climbs and 36T on flats as claimed, that is very difficult to say. I usually ride to the point where my legs burn. Saying that I have had quite a lot of PR's since going oval, but I have been doing big mileage as well. To just give credit to the oval ring is not an accurate statement so cant really say if it made me faster or not...

If I decide to go 1x it will be 1x10, was thinking of putting a 32T oval and cassette still normal 11-36, no mula to do the whole shebang of going 1x11 with shifters and all incl etc. I am not a super human on climbs, rather a hill sucker

Also top speeds are a lot higher in road racing so the range with small incremental steps is necessary similar to cars. Faster you go the harder it is to go faster so the gear spacing needs to reduce to keep the engine in the power band

Btw in TT man riders use a single chainring when the course gradient is not dramatic

Edited by raptor-22

When I ran rotor q rings on a triple many years ago I found the traction was improved in only the middle ring. If I set it up for performance in the large ring the bike bobbed terribly in the middle and granny . With a single up front I'll buy into your improved traction .

To over come this problem I refitted the round outer and granny and only kept the q ring middle ring.

I wonder if they are going to update the 11 speed chains as well or if the new design 1X rings will just work with the standard 11s chain?

This is awesome. Expensive, but awesome. Simplicity of 1x, but with full range. That lever better last through all the quick changes though, and more than one downshift at a time would be nice.

With grip-shift you can run through plenty gears.

Must say that the one thing I prefer on my 2x10 MTB over my 1x11 MTB is the ability to get a big gearing change with one click of the front shifter. This seems to come in handy when a surprise hill jumps out you.

Must say that the one thing I prefer on my 2x10 MTB over my 1x11 MTB is the ability to get a big gearing change with one click of the front shifter. This seems to come in handy when a surprise hill jumps out you.

Yip. Plenty of surprise hills out there too! If they're not too long, I prefer to push one full lever through all the clicks and push the climb. 4 clicks on 1x11 is ok. On 1x12, 5 may be better....

just click more than once. ....

just click more than once. ....

But it is a lot easier on your drive train to drop a chainring than to try and crunch 3 or 4 gears higher on the cassette when under load.