SRAM introduces 12-speed Eagle drivetrains

News bot

I'm with BaGearA on this one. It's getting ridiculous 50T at the rear. Something new to sell to us upgrade obsessed cyclists. If you think you need a 50T at the back stick too a 2-10/11 setup, far cheaper in the long run save the cash for a worthwhile upgrade and if you're buying it because it looks the ducks nuts "which it does" then hey enjoy. Here's getting to top before you. (11-40 / 34T)

Agreed! If you need a 50T on the back you probably should sell your bike.........

It does look hot though. The pros will only ride it because they are told too. There is no way they need a 50T

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was one of my concerns as well when I converted to 1x11, but to my surprise the parts have lasted a lot longer than the 2x10 counterparts.

I got 3500km out of my first 11s chain and the second one is on 2800km now. I a still on my first cassette and only changed the front ring when I converted to Oval.

Yes the parts are more expensive but they last a lot longer which levels the playing field again...

That's good mileage out of the cassette and chain! What components are you using?

That's good mileage out of the cassette and chain! What components are you using?

XX1 cassette. First chain was XX1, the second is the X1(cheaper version) if I remember correctly. I have the Absolute Black oval 34t on at the front

Agreed! If you need a 50T on the back you probably should sell your bike.........

It does look hot though. The pros will only ride it because they are told too. There is no way they need a 50T

Dude. I know it's Friday and all, but...

You're missing the point. They couldn't go smaller, so they went bigger and achieved the same result. Now you can up your chairing size by 20% and have the same climbing gear (30t to 36t) and have a far higher top end for the flat sections.

For me, that's the benefit. Not going for the 10-50 and keeping the same size ring... that would truly be silly.

XX1 cassette. First chain was XX1, the second is the X1(cheaper version) if I remember correctly. I have the Absolute Black oval 34t on at the front

I got max 4000km out of X1 and XX1 cassettes. Dunno if that's normal as I looked after them very well with cleaning etc? I'm now trying GX cassette cos it's getting quite costly per km!!

I got max 4000km out of X1 and XX1 cassettes. Dunno if that's normal as I looked after them very well with cleaning etc? I'm now trying GX cassette cos it's getting quite costly per km!!

My XO1 XG-1195 cassette has about 1500km on it now and its still looks new. The chain is less than 0.2% worn. Still on the first chain.

I'm hoping to wear out the cassette by August but if I don't and I doubt I will I'll just move the 11speed stuff to a trail bike project or my wife's 26er.

I'm running a 34T chainring on 650b wheels so now I can a 36T and have a taller top end and a lower low end for very little extra weight.

Win-win

Looks nice and SRAM did some homework on the chain and cranks.

They can make the range ( 500 percent gear range) as wide as they like (sounds good in the adverts) BUT at the end of the day you still only have 12 gears to play with. This wide range over 12 gears means you going to have some serious changes in cadence between each gear change. Ever had that feeling when you cannot find the right gear because its either to hi or to low.... well its going to get worse, see the illustration below representing the 1 x 12 cassette teeth range

10, 12, 14, 16, 18,   21,   24,    28,    32,    36,      42,        50

4 teeth is already a big jump and starts slap in the middle and gets worse going right up to a huge 6 and then 8 teeth difference

I like the idea of simplicity and less clutter on the bike, but at the end of the day it needs to be practical and comfortable to ride with. 

Missing the part where the 50t allows you to go up at the front by 20% and thereby gain you more top end. So instead of running a 30t 10-42 you can run a 36t 10-50.

It's not about the granny...

I'm certain those hubbers who "grab a granny" will beg to differ :ph34r:

Looks nice and SRAM did some homework on the chain and cranks.

They can make the range ( 500 percent gear range) as wide as they like (sounds good in the adverts) BUT at the end of the day you still only have 12 gears to play with. This wide range over 12 gears means you going to have some serious changes in cadence between each gear change. Ever had that feeling when you cannot find the right gear because its either to hi or to low.... well its going to get worse, see the illustration below representing the 1 x 12 cassette teeth range

10, 12, 14, 16, 18,   21,   24,    28,    32,    36,      42,        50

4 teeth is already a big jump and starts slap in the middle and gets worse going right up to a huge 6 and then 8 teeth difference

I like the idea of simplicity and less clutter on the bike, but at the end of the day it needs to be practical and comfortable to ride with.

The spacing between gear ratios is not a problem. You hardly notice it when you pedaling because your body doesn't care if the gaps are 15% or 16%or 18%.

Jeez! Blatantly missed it here! I was only thinking easier climbing. My bad! Blame it on a long evening out.

Now i want 1 toooooo

It's hot, Jaco'

After eTap Dancer wireless, SRAM is luring the market big time