MTB thugs spoil a morning ride at Hoogekraal

maxanon

I've been a roadie for more than 40 years, and have grown to love the camaraderie, goodwill, and generally sporting nature of fellow cyclists. We support each other, assist newbies and are active in the community.

Some friends of mine convinced me to try mountain biking, especially now that the road season is over. My wife and I decided to give it a go. I asked around for a beginners route, suitable for novices. it was suggested that we try Hoogekraal. We were told that most, though not all, routes have an "honesty box", or some other informal method of compensating the farmer for use of the land. No problem with that.

So off we went this morning to Hoogekraal. Absolutely stunning morning, lots of other riders about. I didn't see the honesty box immediately, and assumed it was on the side of the Blacksmith shed, or perhaps it was at the bike shop off to the side. If we didn't see it later, we could ask around.

We were really quite excited at this new adventure. We set off up the gravel road, but when we got to just past the wooden bridge I realised our bike setup was all wrong, and my wife's tubeless tires weren't doing too well. so we turned back.

Just as we arrived back at the entrance to the parking, a group of about 4 or 5 MTB'ers blocked the path, and demanded to know if I'd paid. No, I said, not yet. Is there a box? Where is it?

At which point they got really rude and aggressive, and the incident got very ugly.

I got my bike back to the car, put money in the box, which I had now seen, and we left.

But the incident totally ruined any joy we had got out of our short foray into the world of mountain biking.

Perhaps the MTB'ers feel their sport is too crowded and are trying to scare newbies away?

Perhaps they are club members and feel that their routes are being abused, and there are too many freeloaders not paying at all?

Whatever the case, I would like to suggest that you will achieve more by trying a decent approach first, then resort to bullying if that doesn't work. It would have been a better conversation if you had said something like "Hey guys - nice ride? Are you new here? Please don't forget to pay the fee if you haven't already. Come back soon and let us know if you need any info"

Whoever you and your buddies are, all I ask is that you find it somewhere in yourselves to be better people, be kind, be supportive. Not only on your bike, but off it as well.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a roadie for more than 40 years, and have grown to love the camaraderie, goodwill, and generally sporting nature of fellow cyclists. We support each other, assist newbies and are active in the community.

Some friends of mine convinced me to try mountain biking, especially now that the road season is over. My wife and I decided to give it a go. I asked around for a beginners route, suitable for novices. it was suggested that we try Hoogekraal. We were told that most, though not all, routes have an "honesty box", or some other informal method of compensating the farmer for use of the land. No problem with that.

So off we went this morning to Hoogekraal. Absolutely stunning morning, lots of other riders about. I didn't see the honesty box immediately, and assumed it was on the side of the Blacksmith shed, or perhaps it was at the bike shop off to the side. If we didn't see it later, we could ask around.

We were really quite excited at this new adventure. We set off up the gravel road, but when we got to just past the wooden bridge I realised our bike setup was all wrong, and my wife's tubeless tires weren't doing too well. so we turned back.

Just as we arrived back at the entrance to the parking, a group of about 4 or 5 MTB'ers blocked the path, and demanded to know if I'd paid. No, I said, not yet. Is there a box? Where is it?

At which point they got really rude and aggressive, and the incident got very ugly.

I got my bike back to the car, put money in the box, which I had now seen, and we left.

But the incident totally ruined any joy we had got out of our short foray into the world of mountain biking.

Perhaps the MTB'ers feel their sport is too crowded and are trying to scare newbies away?

Perhaps they are club members and feel that their routes are being abused, and there are too many freeloaders not paying at all?

Whatever the case, I would like to suggest that you will achieve more by trying a decent approach first, then resort to bullying if that doesn't work. It would have been a better conversation if you had said something like "Hey guys - nice ride? Are you new here? Please don't forget to pay the fee if you haven't already. Come back soon and let us know if you need any info"

Whoever you and your buddies are, all I ask is that you find it somewhere in yourselves to be better people, be kind, be supportive. Not only on your bike, but off it as well.

I've been a roadie for more than 40 years, and have grown to love the camaraderie, goodwill, and generally sporting nature of fellow cyclists. We support each other, assist newbies and are active in the community. Some friends of mine convinced me to try mountain biking, especially now that the road season is over. My wife and I decided to give it a go. I asked around for a beginners route, suitable for novices. it was suggested that we try Hoogekraal. We were told that most, though not all, routes have an "honesty box", or some other informal method of compensating the farmer for use of the land. No problem with that. So off we went this morning to Hoogekraal. Absolutely stunning morning, lots of other riders about. I didn't see the honesty box immediately, and assumed it was on the side of the Blacksmith shed, or perhaps it was at the bike shop off to the side. If we didn't see it later, we could ask around. We were really quite excited at this new adventure. We set off up the gravel road, but when we got to just past the wooden bridge I realised our bike setup was all wrong, and my wife's tubeless tires weren't doing too well. so we turned back. Just as we arrived back at the entrance to the parking, a group of about 4 or 5 MTB'ers blocked the path, and demanded to know if I'd paid. No, I said, not yet. Is there a box? Where is it? At which point they got really rude and aggressive, and the incident got very ugly. I got my bike back to the car, put money in the box, which I had now seen, and we left. But the incident totally ruined any joy we had got out of our short foray into the world of mountain biking.Perhaps the MTB'ers feel their sport is too crowded and are trying to scare newbies away?Perhaps they are club members and feel that their routes are being abused, and there are too many freeloaders not paying at all? Whatever the case, I would like to suggest that you will achieve more by trying a decent approach first, then resort to bullying if that doesn't work. It would have been a better conversation if you had said something like "Hey guys - nice ride? Are you new here? Please don't forget to pay the fee if you haven't already. Come back soon and let us know if you need any info" Whoever you and your buddies are, all I ask is that you find it somewhere in yourselves to be better people, be kind, be supportive. Not only on your bike, but off it as well.

Welcome to bikehub.

TygerbergMTB has I assume a significant problem with rogue riding. As a member we get notification on this matter frequently. Rogue riding creates issues for land owners.

Sorry if the experience wasn't great but unfortunately your experience is part of a bigger problem.

I would also relook your advice regarding Hoogekraal being a good place for beginners to MTB. In Durbanville try the Contermans Green route or Meerendal.

Welcome to bikehub.

TygerbergMTB has I assume a significant problem with rogue riding. As a member we get notification on this matter frequently. Rogue riding creates issues for land owners.

Sorry if the experience wasn't great but unfortunately your experience is part of a bigger problem.

I would also relook your advice regarding Hoogekraal being a good place for beginners to MTB. In Durbanville try the Contermans Green route or Meerendal.

hey thanks for the advice, we will definitely try that. This time I'll make sure to pay before, not after the ride. Still getting used to the protocol.

Sadly not the first time this sort of behavior is reported with TBMTBC. Trail runners and horse riders (with land owners permission to use the properties) have reported similar incidents. On busy days one would expect that someone from the club will man the honesty box to assist riders like the OP. If you have recorded the members bike board numbers please report these to the club for further action. Members acting like bullies are giving the majority of TBMTBC riders a bad rep.

***snip***

Hi Maxanon, 

as Beefy said the club has a huge rogue riding problem. Unfortunately there are always guys who are bad tempered, on the club side and on the culprit side. As a club member I am sorry you had a bad experience. Please don't be discouraged by that. Generally the guys and gals are chilled and welcoming to new riders. Check out the club site http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/ where you will find all about routes, rules and permits.

And yes, Hoogekral is not good for beginners. Meerendal will be first choice since the Contermans Green Route is quite short.

Cheers

Hi Maxanon, 

as Beefy said the club has a huge rogue riding problem. Unfortunately there are always guys who are bad tempered, on the club side and on the culprit side. As a club member I am sorry you had a bad experience. Please don't be discouraged by that. Generally the guys and gals are chilled and welcoming to new riders. Check out the club site http://www.tygerbergmtb.co.za/ where you will find all about routes, rules and permits.

And yes, Hoogekral is not good for beginners. Meerendal will be first choice since the Contermans Green Route is quite short.

Cheers

Hi Maxanon, 

Cheers

Thank you - I appreciate that. And I wish I'd consulted your web site first, its very informative and will be my go-to from now. We will  try again, at Meerendal, then I'm pretty sure I'll join as a member. Given most of the replies so far, it seems the guys I met this morning are the exception, thankfully.

Edited by maxanon

So you didn't see the honesty box but proceeded anyway, I'm sorry but that doesn't cut it. You admitted that there were lots of other riders about, did you think to ask anyone where the honesty box was?

Still no reason for rudeness and aggression.

Still no reason for rudeness and aggression.

Agreed, at the risk of being stereotypical beginners and foreigners can often be identified in comparison to people taking chances and rogue riding.

How do the mtb police know you've put money in the honesty box, do you get a tag or do they just take your word for it?

How do the mtb police know you've put money in the honesty box, do you get a tag or do they just take your word for it?

I think they take your word. They sometimes have guys there watching.

You must look like you put money in the box.

I'm not sure what that look is but that's what I've been told as I had a similar incident my first time at Hoogekraal.

Wait till you try to buy a permit at the shop at Bloemendal. Vok talk about *** attitude. So much entitlement in the world and all these okes are on a powertrip

Hey Maxanon

Around what time did this happen? Think I saw you, the same guys had harassed my friends who had paid their honesty fee.

I don't know these guys personally but their intentions seem to be good, the way that they go about it is far too aggressive and condescending to fellow riders though. It is also not the first time I have seen them try police every rider going past.

I would not let these guys ruin your experience, and would highly suggest you buy a permit for TBMTB its well worth it.